IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What do you miss?
1/2/14, 5:28 PM   #11
sc17x

Avilla speedway

3 members like this post: fish, Hustlin-Hoosier, Mud Packer
1/2/14, 5:30 PM   #12
Re: What do you miss?
robert gatten

I miss: cars on open trailers : pits in the infield : top 3 finishers stopping in front of grandstands so fans can see them : sneaking under the fence some times when I didn't have the money to get in .( probably could even do that now, ha. )
OH, one more thing, Reading all about the race night and results in the local paper the next night , with pictures !
Last edited by robert gatten; 1/2/14 at 5:39 PM.

4 members like this post: FishBurger, Mud Packer, racephoto1, sw1911
1/2/14, 5:37 PM   #13
mlamb

I sure miss All Star Ohio sprint week back in the 80s first leg always at millstream (Findlay,Oh) Sunday night usually 70 cars. With the last leg being Saturday night at Eldora for 10G. Those fields were LOADED! Back then Eldora was heavy and fast, and even had winged cars passing! Also miss the CRA coming here racing in the midwest! Guys like Leland McSpadden, Richard Griffin Steve Ostling Mike Kirby Brad Noffsinger Troy Cline, sure fun seeing those guys "elbows up"! Certainly miss all those who suited up/strapped in, whom are no longer with us!
Last edited by mlamb; 1/2/14 at 5:57 PM.

3 members like this post: Mud Packer, smith19, SPD 37
1/2/14, 7:04 PM   #14
Action Tracker

non-winged sprint cars at Salem and Winchester

1/2/14, 7:27 PM   #15
racephoto1

Jesse Hockett, that man could drive the wheels off anything.

Josh Burton growing up as a race car driver, he had a great future a head of him.

Manzanita, that was one bad a$$ joint.

Midgets at Winchester and Salem, they make sprint cars look tame.

The Hut Hundred in Indiana.

Little Springfield, it was better then Little Belleville.

USAC stock cars at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.

Norwood Arena, where I got my first taste of this addiction called auto racing.

My late mother needling Dana Carter at Salem on a Sunday afternoon.

My grandfather teaching my oldest son how to drink coffee at Gas City on a really cold day.

A Saturday afternoon show at Terre Haute with me and my father working on a sprint car .

One more Saturday night at Reading.

This is just a handful of them.

1/2/14, 7:59 PM   #16
tntbusco

I.miss Avilla and Warsaw Speedways

3 members like this post: fish, Mud Packer, sc17x
1/2/14, 8:14 PM   #17
sw1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
Having grown up in a small town in Southern Illinois, auto racing was a very important entertainment option. In my formative years, Belle Clair Speedway was the only race track "close by" and Friday nights were race nights. By my teenage years Highland Speedway had opened and ran on Saturday nights. Like so many folks who have fond memories of their youth, I think about the good ole days and how racing has changed. In no particular order, here is what I miss about racing from my early years.

*Cars pitting in the infield at Belle Clair.
*The ageless one "Dandy" Don Klein who always wore a white shirt and white pants back in the day. Burgundy colored car all the way.
*The old coupes that they called modifieds in later years.
*Driver Kenny Shrum who drove the car #66/99. The numbers were intertwined so the 6's were on top and the 9's were underneath with the "0" portion of the number coming together. I never saw anyone else ever do that.
*Driver Mike Hammerle drove something they called the "War Wagon".
*Qualifying order at Highland was the first driver took a qualifying lap and then came to the infield. They lined the cars up until all of them had taken a lap. Then the final qualifier would start out by taking his second lap. Basically they all qualified in reverse order on their second lap. Unique to say the least.
*The first car that rolled over at Highland always won a free case of beer from Red & Stell's tavern in St. Jacob, IL. Quite the promotion back in the day.
*The Allied Auto Racing Association ran three nights at three different tracks. Friday at Belle Clair, Saturday I believe was St. Charles and Sunday at Lake Hill. The roster of drivers included Len Garson, Don Klein, Kenny Shrum, Carl Springer, Ray Eby, Wib Spaulding, Curt Allen, Mike Hammerlee, Ed Dixon, Chris Bargetzi, Charlie Johnson and so many more I can't remember.
*Open trailors. On Saturday I used to ride my bike up to the middle of town (5 blocks) to sit at the car wash which was at the only 4 way flasher in town. There you could watch the car haulers (open trailors) to see who was going to be at the races that night. The crews would always wave and sometime even stop to say hello. A real thrill indeed for a kid my age.
*Since moving to Indiana I now also miss the old ASA & Artgo series. Rex Robbins and John McKarns respectively ran these great series showcasing the talent of the short track stars.
*I also miss seeing the J W Hunt strawberry decal on so many open wheel cars. J W handed out a lot of cash in his day.

Looking back on just some of the racing I enjoyed as a kid. So tell me, what do you miss about racing from back in the day?
See little picture <---. My best early racing memory is Dandy Don at Belle Clair.

2 members like this post: luckybuc97, Mud Packer
1/2/14, 8:25 PM   #18
sp6967

open tire rule

1 member likes this post: Mud Packer
1/2/14, 8:46 PM   #19
dirtlover

Offy's, Knobby tires, roll bars, guys with big nads!

1 member likes this post: Mud Packer
1/2/14, 8:49 PM   #20
Checker'd Past

That's an easy question to answer. I miss sitting next to my dad watching and enjoying the races.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What do you miss?