IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Haubstadt
7/16/17, 7:46 PM   #11
MOORESVILLETRUCKER

Great race,I just think checkered should have been thrown when they were coming outta 4 instead of a yellow. To me they(flag man,USAC) determined the outcome

3 members like this post: brady, Dirtfan, WinglessLovers
7/16/17, 11:37 PM   #12
Re: Haubstadt
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOORESVILLETRUCKER View Post
Great race,I just think checkered should have been thrown when they were coming outta 4 instead of a yellow. To me they(flag man,USAC) determined the outcome
so to you the flagman should have left Darland slowly rolling on track for 3 laps? I used to work for MSCS scoring and when a yellow came out we watched to see how many cars crossed the line before the leader crossed if wasn't 3 then we went back to the previous (last scored) lap. There was 3 laps left that's why there was a green white checkered finish.
Also if the flagman would have thrown the checkered when you say he should have thr race would have been 3 laps short. Who I go to a 30 lap race I expect to see a 30 lap race not 27 laps.

3 members like this post: fish, tirespinner, treecitytornado
7/16/17, 11:49 PM   #13
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Awesome race last night. The track was pretty juiced up and there was great racing all over the track all night long.

Kudos to KTJ and Cummins. Clean racing all the way through the feature and those two were clearly the class of the field. I know KTJ wasn't happy with the outcome and I was a bit confused on how laps were scored since they did indeed run 31 laps instead of the scheduled 30 but oh well, still an amazing race. USAC tweeted it had to do with their new scoring system. Either way, well worth the drive over from the Louisville area and the price of admission.

As for the IOW member that claimed Haubstadt always has the smallest crowd and shouldn't be the final round of ISW...that was by far the best racing I've seen all week and as for the crowd....see attached photos
David Mitchell Those pictures of just the front straight grandstand, the backside holds even more people and was as packed as the front. Sure looked small to me LOL Maybe you should go back to forecasting the weather in place of accounting

3 members like this post: captrat, oppweld, tirespinner
7/17/17, 12:08 AM   #14
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
David Mitchell Those pictures of just the front straight grandstand, the backside holds even more people and was as packed as the front. Sure looked small to me LOL Maybe you should go back to forecasting the weather in place of accounting
You're giving this guy way more attention than he deserves.

Winston Churchill

4 members like this post: captrat, jim goerge, oppweld, tirespinner
7/17/17, 12:23 AM   #15
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 16
Race Count Last Year: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
so to you the flagman should have left Darland slowly rolling on track for 3 laps? I used to work for MSCS scoring and when a yellow came out we watched to see how many cars crossed the line before the leader crossed if wasn't 3 then we went back to the previous (last scored) lap. There was 3 laps left that's why there was a green white checkered finish.
Also if the flagman would have thrown the checkered when you say he should have thr race would have been 3 laps short. Who I go to a 30 lap race I expect to see a 30 lap race not 27 laps.
Jim,

Respectfully I think you are wrong in your assessment of the finish. As Mooresville Trucker correctly stated they were on the homestretch coming to the checkered when the yellow flag was waved. If you look on USAC's twitter they stated that there would be one to go at the point when the yellow flew. They then stated that their new policy is to have a green, white, checker finish so that is why they ran two laps after the caution. The leaders were off of turn four coming to the checkered flag when Darland blew up in turn two while running 10th. To me also there was no reason to throw the yellow instead of the checkered flag. He was still rolling and almost everyone had cleared him at that point and the leaders would have slowed after the checkered with no problems avoiding Darland who rolled over to turn four by that time anyhow. It made for an exciting finish for sure but I don't feel the caution was necessary either. I like both drivers so I have no dog in this fight or am showing any favoritism for one driver over another.

Bruce Eckel

4 members like this post: brady, Dirtfan, jim goerge, tirespinner
7/17/17, 1:06 AM   #16
MDW

Just to make things clear ...this was not the flagmans call. They have a race director just like many other sanctioning bodies it is that persons call. I'm not putting blame on the race director just informing everyone how things work. This coming from someone who has been in both positions.

Mo

7/17/17, 9:54 AM   #17
Stealth87

Saturday was my first ever trip to Haubstadt, and I simply cannot wait to go back! Track prep was on point, racing was on point and the place fully lived up to the hype. I think this lands in my top 10 tracks I have ever been to, and possibly my top 5. The spectacular finish definitely helped that cause. Thanks again Indiana!

7/17/17, 10:42 AM   #18
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinglessLovers View Post
Jim,

Respectfully I think you are wrong in your assessment of the finish. As Mooresville Trucker correctly stated they were on the homestretch coming to the checkered when the yellow flag was waved. If you look on USAC's twitter they stated that there would be one to go at the point when the yellow flew. They then stated that their new policy is to have a green, white, checker finish so that is why they ran two laps after the caution. The leaders were off of turn four coming to the checkered flag when Darland blew up in turn two while running 10th. To me also there was no reason to throw the yellow instead of the checkered flag. He was still rolling and almost everyone had cleared him at that point and the leaders would have slowed after the checkered with no problems avoiding Darland who rolled over to turn four by that time anyhow. It made for an exciting finish for sure but I don't feel the caution was necessary either. I like both drivers so I have no dog in this fight or am showing any favoritism for one driver over another.

Bruce Eckel
I agree with Bruce 100% here. Also Jim, I think when you're referring back to 3 to go you're thinking of when Brackett spun out and stopped up between turns 3 and 4 on the bottom.

4 members like this post: Dirtfan, jim goerge, tirespinner, WinglessLovers
7/17/17, 8:54 PM   #19
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Awesome race last night. The track was pretty juiced up and there was great racing all over the track all night long.

Kudos to KTJ and Cummins. Clean racing all the way through the feature and those two were clearly the class of the field. I know KTJ wasn't happy with the outcome and I was a bit confused on how laps were scored since they did indeed run 31 laps instead of the scheduled 30 but oh well, still an amazing race. USAC tweeted it had to do with their new scoring system. Either way, well worth the drive over from the Louisville area and the price of admission.

As for the IOW member that claimed Haubstadt always has the smallest crowd and shouldn't be the final round of ISW...that was by far the best racing I've seen all week and as for the crowd....see attached photos
That makes two spine tingling finishes in a row with Kyle Cummins emerging victorious. I don't remember when I've seen a crowd that energized on the last lap of a feature at TSS, or anywhere else for that matter.
As for the crowd size, I could see from my reserved seat on the backstretch that the frontstretch grandstand was packed from top to bottom, and Nate's photo clearly shows that. That is unusual, as the crowd has gravitated to the backstretch over the years, primarily due to the sun and the winds generally come from the west. Also, the backstretch has a larger capacity due to the reserved seats, which I'm becoming more of a fan of each week. Every reserved seat was sold for this event. But where you sat was irrelevant because you were treated to such a fantastic and well run show from any vantage point. It will be hard to duplicate what was witnessed at TSS Saturday night, but I'll be there for the next event and I'm sure I'll witness an exciting evening of competition.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Haubstadt