IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 8/19/2023 - Lawrenceburg Spdwy. - Gaines Memorial $3K to Win
8/23/23, 9:06 PM   #41
Re: 8/19/2023 - Lawrenceburg Spdwy. - Gaines Memorial $3K to
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The55 View Post
I know there were many improvements made to the facility but that didn’t require a larger track, right. They could have raised the track to avoid the water problems but kept it the same size. It is what it is now.

When current promoter took it on They ran out of time to Build the new track and ran one season with a added new clay and supposed return to the old layout (Prior to cut back)

Yes, There had to be a major change to raise the track, But the super high banked track. IDK. Like I said, they raised the whole grounds three feet and added two permenent pumps. The infield used to be known as the Lawrenceburg Everyglades and any rain or river drop after flooding would pretty much cancel that weekend. Some years only had a handful of races.

I've only known of the grounds to go under twice since the new track was built. The first time was during final construction for some reason at least one of the pumps wasn't working and the track went under a bit. The second the parking lot in front of the track and ball fields went under but the track itself stayed dry.. The old track would fill about halfway with water and look like a small lake. There's a pic from the sixtys showing Dale Detmer in a John Boat with Wizard motor in the water. His brother in their sprint car and the promoter in a covertable both on top of the banking all making laps.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 8/19/2023 - Lawrenceburg Spdwy. - Gaines Memorial $3K to Win