IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chassis set up advice
12/24/15, 7:42 AM   #1
Chassis set up advice
Ferett50

I have a wingless 86/40 avenger running in Australia we run a buick v6 engine(thats all we are allowed) im having issues mid corner with the car on a dry slick track the car keeps over rotating and seems to have no forward grip and it feels generally unstable,
The set up i have is
52 inch front beam
Lf 5/3 shock 1000 bar
Rf 5 shock 1025 bar
Lr 3/7 shock 1000 bar
Rr 5 shock 975 bar
3.5inch off the blocks in front
4inch of the blocks at rear,
Left rear 13 inch from frame
Right 18inch from frame,
American racer left rear sd28
American racer right rear sd44
Lf 10psi rf 12 psi
Lr 4psi. Rr 8psi
Approx 9inch of stagger, on a heavy track the car is fast but super hard to drive on a slick track, moved right rear in from 19 inch to 18 inch and moved left in from 14 to 13, and it was better but changed to an angled right front arm and it seem to make the car worse,
Any advice is apreciated

12/24/15, 10:14 AM   #2
Re: Chassis set up advice
DAD

Ferett

9" stagger? What size track are you racing on? On the top side of the equator we call it chasing the track. What works at the first usually does not work for the end of the day. You included a lot of info but more would be needed. Set up also depends on driving style. My advice would be to ask fellow racers down there or buy a book. Steve Smith sells a book and video combo that would go a long way in to answering your questions for yourself. Might want to give that a try.

https://www.ssapubl.com/productList....ack&car=Sprint

Merry Christmasand Happy Racing

Honest Dad himself

12/24/15, 10:40 AM   #3
Ferett50

The track is about 1/4 mile on the curb, moving the right rear in was after the first heat trying to adjust the car to suit the track, it was better once the right was moved in an inch and in the feature it felt like it needed to be moved in another inch to tightern it up,

12/24/15, 11:20 AM   #4
DAD

ferett

I can't figure out the 9" stagger thing. How much do you change stagger during the night? Tighten up is what you are wanting to do>>>Less stagger>>softer bars>>easy up left rear shock>>do you run it straight off the blocks all night?

Honest Dad himself

12/24/15, 11:20 AM   #5
treecitytornado

Too soft on your right side bars and not enough stickout to start. Message me for details.

1 member likes this post: DAD
12/24/15, 11:21 AM   #6
sprintracer82

Here in the dry Sandy slick state of Michigan we start out at 9 inches of stagher and close it down to 4 or 5 come feature time. We also start out at 21 inches on the RR and the lr always stays as far in as we can get it. Again come feature time we end up between 18 and 19 inches out on the RR.
Nick Landon

3 members like this post: DAD, fish, PIT CART
12/24/15, 3:44 PM   #7
CRA91

Sounds like to me you don't have enough left rear drive from the center of the corner to coming off the corner. Does your rr tire have more heat in it than the lr does? If that's the case I would put a softer rebound shock on the rf like a 5/3 or 5/2.
The shocks you start with on the front are exactly opposite of where I start, I have the 5 on the lf and the 5/3 rf and as the track dries out I move the rr in and the lr out (been out as far as 15") and soften the rf shock rebound.
Also where do you run your rear radius rods, Up or down on each side? I run mine up on the right side and down on the left side and when the track gets slick I'll move the left side up,but every driver likes a different feel.Also how you have your cross weights makes a difference in the changes you make.

1 member likes this post: DAD
12/24/15, 4:40 PM   #8
TQ29m

I'd have to agree, it ought to ride good tho, like a Lincoln. as soft as it is, I'd go with a bigger RF bar, cause it sounds like it's rolling over, and taking grip away from the LR, which makes it want to over rotate, and, pulling the RR in, and moving the LR out will help that drive off also, just take it in baby steps, and that SD44 might be a bit hard, I ck my shock temps just by feel, you can tell a lot by that, as well as tire temps, plus, I'm not a big believer in printed setup data, you'll learn a lot by how things feel, and making your own decisions. JMHO! Bob

12/24/15, 6:31 PM   #9
Ferett50

My left rear rolls out at 91 inches and the right is 100inches we all run tyres from late models being a small horespower engine we use smaller tyres, are you saying the stagger is too much?

12/24/15, 6:44 PM   #10
Ferett50

I do appreciate all of the advice snd info from you guys, we are relatively new too it and feel like were struggling a bit,

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chassis set up advice