IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
SPRINTCAR (Offline)
  #1 10/8/10 11:12 AM
New, Cheaper Midget Engines Coming Soon
by Adam Fenwick
HARRISBURG, N.C. — At least two midget racing sanctioning bodies are planning to implement low-cost engines that could save teams thousands of dollars and more importantly put more cars on the track.

Officials from the United States Speed Ass’n and the Northeastern Midget Ass’n told National Speed Sport News they would introduce more affordable engine solutions they hope will improve midget car counts across the board.

USSA, a sanctioning body owned by longtime midget mechanic and car owner Don Kenyon, announced Thursday an initiative to introduce electronically managed fuel injection on dual overhead cam four-valve engines based on stock blocks and cylinder heads, as well as a new Esslinger Engineering EST engine.

The engines, which will be sealed to prevent tampering with connecting rods, crankshafts or the valve train, will feature 320 to 340 horsepower, self-starters and cost a maximum of $22,000. The maximum displacement for the dual overhead cam engine will be 2.5 liters and the Esslinger EST will be 2.65 liters.

High-dollar midget engines range from $40,000 to $60,000.

“Midget racing is no different from the rest of the industry in that it has a lot of negative impact from the state of the economy,” said Eric Bunn, the vice president and competition director of the USSA. “There are a lot of people that have the perception and quite frankly the reality that midget racing is too expensive or more expensive than they are willing to commit to.

“It comes down to money. The biggest portion of that money comes down to the cost of the engines,” Bunn said. “We’ve priced too many people out of the market, so we decided to reduce the price.”

Mike Scrivani, president and longtime promoter of NEMA, agrees with that assessment. He told NSSN that his series is hoping to implement a similar sealed engine program in 2011, with the maximum cost per engine being approximately $17,000. NEMA runs winged midgets, whereas USSA and most other midget sanctions in the United States race without wings.

“We’re looking at a window of about $15,000 to $17,000,” Scrivani said. “We’re working on it right now. We’re probably going to implement this next year. The only way you’re going to keep costs down is keep people from digging into the motor.”

Unlike the USSA engine initiative, Scrivani said that he is looking to cut as much as 500 RPMs from the engines used in his series as part of the cost-cutting measures. He said that the final horsepower numbers would be on par with the program that USSA is implementing.

“What’s killing us right now is the RPMs,” Scrivani said. “When you run high RPMs, it wears out motors. We’ve got to get the RPMs down and we’ve got to get the cost of the motor down.

“I went to three manufacturers already. I told them what I wanted. Esslinger is fine with that. It can get there. Volkswagen says it can get there. EcoTech, Chevrolet, says he’s already there,” Scrivani said.

Esslinger Engineering is the first builder to commit to the new USSA midget engine program.

“We are very excited about the new engine format,” said Dan Esslinger, president of Esslinger Engineering. “It dramatically reduces the initial cost of the engine as well as the race to race expenses by lowering fuel usage and allowing more running between oil changes due to less methanol pollution in the crankcase.”

In addition to USSA and NEMA, Bunn says that the Badger Midget Auto Racing Ass’n is looking at a similar program to help cut costs.

“I give a lot of credit to the guys at NEMA and the guys at Badger for going independently down the same road we’re going,” Bunn said. “I think more people are going to go there.”

Not to be overlooked in the plan announced by the USSA is the inclusion of self-starters, something that has been talked about in midget racing for years. USAC attempted to implement self-starters a few years ago, but gave up the plan and returned to using push vehicles for its national midget series.

“There are many times where if you’ve got to push a field of 15, 20 or 25 cars after a red flag, you’re going to add quite a bit of time to the show,” Bunn said. “Sprint cars and midgets are the last of the push vehicles. The fans want to watch racing, not push trucks.”

Bunn and Scrivani both hope the new engines will help bring new competitors and fans to the track.

“We need to start bringing new people back to the sport, which by extension is back to the business,” Bunn said. “The fact of the matter is midget racing needs to get a hold of itself and jump into the 21st century.”
racerjim2 (Offline)
  #2 10/8/10 11:43 AM
Exactly what's needed!!!! Another Ford Focus and Kenyon motor series in the mix.

I thought that was the purpose of these 2 classes and look what happened. Rich people putting rich kids in the seats to play and just another rock in the road. Bring back the Chevy II!
TQ29m (Online)
  #3 10/8/10 12:18 PM
Gotta agree with ya Jimmie, these folks talk about $22,000.00, like everyone had at least that much in their back pocket! To most of us, who would like to run a midget, $5000.00 is outa sight, that's why it's cheaper to run a Sprint car, or like some of us, a TQ midget, I feel like with my engine costs being what they are, and what I can win, I can break even at least, and maybe stuff a little in my blue jeans for Christ's sake! I know no one believes me when I tell them what my motor's cost me, and I'm beyond caring what they think, but I'm able to run every week, and be darned competative, and if no one want's to believe me, who care's, I got over worrying about it years ago, as far as I'm concerned, the door is closed on my development work, on running as cheap as you can, no one wants to listen, or even try it, just keep stuffing all that money, in a money pit, might as well own a boat. See ya! Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
Revolution Racing (Offline)
  #4 10/8/10 2:05 PM
Bear in mind that the 22K number imposed by USSA is the limit in terms of what can be charged. Our current price on a complete RRE ECOtec package is exactly HALF that much - $10,995. I think we'll need a little more power in order to match up with the new Esslinger and so that number may go up a little, but should still be in the low 10k range. AND, please remember that the purchase price of a Midget engine is only part of the story. What it costs to keep it running is another big component. For example a $10,000 engine that must be rebuilt once a year at a cost of $5,000 will actually cost you $8350 per year over 3 years, whereas a $10,000 engine that will go for 3 years with no rebuilds will cost you $3350 per year over the same period - thats a huge difference.

I realize that for a lot of people, even 10k for a racing engine is way too much to pay. And fortunately, we do have racing programs out there, good ones, that allow these guys to compete and have fun. Without taking anything away from those programs, I think it is safe to say that thanks to groups like the USSA and NEMA, we are also starting to see a reversal of trends at higher levels of the sport, and who can argue that this is not a good thing?

Finally to the guy that commented about how this will only add another division to a sport that already has too many divisions... I don't think you are seeing the picture clearly. I think what we are talking about here - certainly in the case of a group like NEMA - is that this IS the division. This IS what Midget racing will look like going forward - lower cost, more reliable engines for the top level of the sport in that part of the country.

2 Likes: Pat O'Connor Fan, SPRINTCAR
Seadog (Offline)
  #5 10/8/10 2:39 PM
I think we already covered this topic a couple of months ago.

https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/sho...highlight=ussa
openwheelKT (Offline)
  #6 10/8/10 4:08 PM
Originally Posted by TQ29m:
that's why it's cheaper to run a Sprint car,
That right there is the key. Until that is solved, nothing will change. Midgets should be the "cheapest" (use that term loosely b/c everything in racing costs money) form of openwheel racing. Why would I buy midget equipment (talking full midget) when it costs the same if not more than a sprint car that I can run a lot more? Always hope for good things when I read a price reduction press release....guess we'll see.
LEADERS EDGE (Offline)
  #7 10/8/10 9:23 PM
Why is it that Midget Engines are supposed to be cheaper than Sprint Car Motors? Where is that rule written?

Implying that the Average cost of the midget engines running today is between $40,000 dollars and $60,000 isn't accurate.

Bottom line is this.......To achieve the same quality of racing today; in the future requires an engine that is within 10-15% as powerful and retains the equivilant ratio in torque. I don't believe anyone that says "If only there were more cars, then I will come watch". If you had 50 cars that are noticeably slower than todays cars....then the fans will still stay away.

If someone can produce a product that meets that need and can deliver it in the $8,000-$15,000 range AND RACE FOR THE SAME PURSE STRUCTURE; then I am all for it. Thing is...it won't happen and it won't matter. In some pockets it will work, but mostly it is another gimmick. No substance. Just like "HOPE AND CHANGE". You actually have to have a real plan and not an idea with the hopes something will develop.

Midget racing will never unseat sprint cars in terms of popularity. Period. That ship has sailed.

If you could afford the $22,000 New wave Esslinger....then you could afford the $22,000 Mid-Line Esslinger....which many people already have and are succesful with.

You know what one thing that could happen today to help pavement car counts? Aw....you already know......but that's the cash cow no one is ready to quit milking.
5 Likes: c47, kbesecker, Ken Bonnema, Pat O'Connor Fan, wobbler
Need For Speed (Offline)
  #8 10/9/10 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE:
Why is it that Midget Engines are supposed to be cheaper than Sprint Car Motors? Where is that rule written?

Implying that the Average cost of the midget engines running today is between $40,000 dollars and $60,000 isn't accurate.

Bottom line is this.......To achieve the same quality of racing today; in the future requires an engine that is within 10-15% as powerful and retains the equivilant ratio in torque. I don't believe anyone that says "If only there were more cars, then I will come watch". If you had 50 cars that are noticeably slower than todays cars....then the fans will still stay away.

If someone can produce a product that meets that need and can deliver it in the $8,000-$15,000 range AND RACE FOR THE SAME PURSE STRUCTURE; then I am all for it. Thing is...it won't happen and it won't matter. In some pockets it will work, but mostly it is another gimmick. No substance. Just like "HOPE AND CHANGE". You actually have to have a real plan and not an idea with the hopes something will develop.

Midget racing will never unseat sprint cars in terms of popularity. Period. That ship has sailed.

If you could afford the $22,000 New wave Esslinger....then you could afford the $22,000 Mid-Line Esslinger....which many people already have and are succesful with.

You know what one thing that could happen today to help pavement car counts? Aw....you already know......but that's the cash cow no one is ready to quit milking.
Some of what you posted is true, and some of it is BS.

One thing I take exception with is the part about if the cars are slower, the fans won't like it.

When everyone was running the VWs, that was the 'top shelf' engine. There were plenty of cars, and fans, and the racing was just fine. Those VW powered cars are surely slower than the cars of today...but did anyone in the stands say 'You know, if we wait 30 years, these midgets will be a lot faster, so I'm going to stay home for 30 years, and then come to watch 'fast midgets', VW powered cars are too slow....??

Was midget racing boring when they had Offys in them...what about V8-60, or even outboards?? Oh yeah, that was when midget racing was king, and they raced many times/nights a week, in front of full grandstands!

If the cars are all going basically the same speed (as each other), and the competition is good, what difference does it make if they are 1, 2, or 3 seconds a lap slower than they went in 2010?

The same is true for any class of car.

Was INDY boring when the cars were running 150mph? Did it become interesting when they started running 175...200...or 220?
mortboyz
  #9 10/9/10 12:49 AM
Your comparing the past to now is irrelevant(sp) as well, needforspeed.
I'm old school too, but the good old days are just that, old days. Racing like anything else is about the "hot set-up", always was, always will be. The VW's replaced the ChevyII's and were the "hot set-up" in their day. What's hot today is what everybody wants to have.
As much as I have to admit, our infamous friend from Ohio makes a lot of good points about trying to make the Midget world cheaper, but his often time mis-directed rants make him a popular "punching bag" on here. (Most of the time, rightly so :2

Might I suggest, as a beer drinking/seat/ticket buyer, that anyone directly involved with the sport of Midget racing, please refer to page 52 of the October issue of SprintCar & Midget magazine. The suggested meeting to be held at the Vigo County Fairgrounds Exposition Hall would be an OUTSTANDING START to bringing some sense to this issue that we are all so wrapped up in. I approached the 1982 USAC National Champion Midget car owner about this very article at Granite City, and he agreed to participate if and when this "round table" were to happen.
Now some may say that Mr. Olson is a couple eggs short of a dozen, but seriously his column makes a real positive approach if you ask me.
I personally respect the hell out of Kevin Olson and Scott Baue on these matters because I know for a fact they've been there and done that. Hell, KO's got more driving suits that Don Moore has run races.(I' liked Don more when he was Critter Malones' sponsor....nowhere near the drama:2

Off my box now,and before DM10 accuses me of stalking him and his race team/dogs, I really do hope something can be worked out between the major sanctioning bodies to make serious efforts towards keeping Midget racing alive in some fashion in this country.

Good Night.......

Morty
2 Likes: billwill7, Pat O'Connor Fan
racerjim2 (Offline)
  #10 10/9/10 8:00 AM
[QUOTE=Need For Speed;198602]Some of what you posted is true, and some of it is BS.

One thing I take exception with is the part about if the cars are slower, the fans won't like it.

When everyone was running the VWs, that was the 'top shelf' engine. There were plenty of cars, and fans, and the racing was just fine. Those VW powered cars are surely slower than the cars of today...but did anyone in the stands say 'You know, if we wait 30 years, these midgets will be a lot faster, so I'm going to stay home for 30 years, and then come to watch 'fast midgets', VW powered cars are too slow....??

Was midget racing boring when they had Offys in them...what about V8-60, or even outboards?? Oh yeah, that was when midget racing was king, and they raced many times/nights a week, in front of full grandstands!

If the cars are all going basically the same speed (as each other), and the competition is good, what difference does it make if they are 1, 2, or 3 seconds a lap slower than they went in 2010?

The same is true for any class of car.

You know, I got thinking about this statement. I'd bet there's some race drivers out there who couldn't get around the track if they were going 3 seconds slower. Reason is, now all they do is get in the car and stomp the gas pedal and go in circles. They don't drive the cars anymore, the cars drive them! Maybe we'd see some new winners when the drivers had to be drivers again instead of airplane pilots. Just my thoughts. Make the drivers start driving again.
2 Likes: Need For Speed, SPRINTCAR