IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Bug_racer (Offline)
  #1 4/19/12 8:37 AM
Im looking at building a 1984cc turbo midget car for next season . Im curious to know if anyone has had any success with turbo motors . Also does anyone have any links to teams that run a turbo set up .
TQ29m (Online)
  #2 4/19/12 8:56 AM
Would it be legal? Better do some rules cking, before building! Bob!

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
Bug_racer (Offline)
  #3 4/19/12 9:19 AM
Originally Posted by TQ29m:
Would it be legal? Better do some rules cking, before building! Bob!
Yes it would . 2V turbo engines with SOHC can run up to 2000cc and dual cam but 2V (fiat engines) can run up to 1776cc . No Twin cam 4V forced induction is allowed
TQ29m (Online)
  #4 4/19/12 10:33 AM
I personally don't think it would be practical, there is an enherent lag in turbo response, and on small tracks, I'm afraid the poor ole turbo, just isn't as quick thinking as you might believe, but then that's just my opinion, turbo's don't build boost, except when under a pretty much constant load, and in racing on small tracks, I don't see it being an advantage, now, if you want to do it as an experiment, be my guest, but I'm afraid you'll be disappointed, JMHO! Bob!

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
bobby01 (Offline)
  #5 4/19/12 2:44 PM
Lots of different people have tried this over the years. Not saying that you wouldn't get it to work but it will be a tough nut to crack. I personally would like to work with a stock block Honda or Toyota or Subaru I think that would be fun.
Bug_racer (Offline)
  #6 4/19/12 7:45 PM
Originally Posted by TQ29m:
I personally don't think it would be practical, there is an enherent lag in turbo response, and on small tracks, I'm afraid the poor ole turbo, just isn't as quick thinking as you might believe, but then that's just my opinion, turbo's don't build boost, except when under a pretty much constant load, and in racing on small tracks, I don't see it being an advantage, now, if you want to do it as an experiment, be my guest, but I'm afraid you'll be disappointed, JMHO! Bob!
Lag is becoming less and less with each new generation of turbo . I believe its about on par as the larger N/A 2V engines "coming on cam" . From 2500-8500 rpm I think you can make a turbo engine have just as much torque and even more power . The only time an N/A engine will dominate is slow rolling starts . You are allowed antilag so Im sure this will offset the disadvantage somewhat ..
darnall (Offline)
  #7 4/20/12 1:15 PM
I saw a pic a couple years ago of a midget in Australia or New Zealand that was using a basically stock 2 litre Mitsubishi eclipse engine with a huge turbo hangin out the side...pretty economical compared to the typical midget motor and pretty quick from the sound of it.
DAD (Offline)
  #8 4/21/12 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Bug_racer:
Im looking at building a 1984cc turbo midget car for next season . Im curious to know if anyone has had any success with turbo motors . Also does anyone have any links to teams that run a turbo set up .
Where do you plan on racing?

Honest Dad himself
Bug_racer (Offline)
  #9 4/22/12 1:45 AM
Originally Posted by DAD:
Where do you plan on racing?

Honest Dad himself
Parramatta Speedway
suade82 (Offline)
  #10 4/23/12 9:02 AM
I have always wonders about this. Where is this legal? There are misconception about turbos. The statment is correct about turbo lag, in todays turbos (ball bearing turbos) the lag if very low, but like anything depends on how much money you want to spend. Also, if adjusted correctly, the turbo lag could make for some traction control. The turbo can be adjusted with different housings on the turbine side for low rpm or high rpm power. In my mazda, you can feel the boost at 2200 rpm and is at 30psi around 3800 rpm with a GT28RS turbo. From my dirt racing days, I have learned how to keep my foot in the throttle so I dont loose too much boost on a small auto X track.

I believe it would be more economical for midgets.

I installed a turbo in my car and been having a blast with it.