IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thoughts on creating new fans
7/30/15, 11:44 AM   #51
Re: Thoughts on creating new fans
hungthrottlepodcast

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 20

Just thought of a couple of things.

1. Getting the show started on time and keeping it running is imperative. I have seen way too many families leaving a race track before the end because the show is going late. Don't ever let spectators leave without seeing the features/A-mains.

2. One of the most fun things I've done as a spectator is go through the driver meet and greet line for the Little 500. It would be great to get tracks to have more fan/driver interaction. One idea, and this can only happen if the show is started on time and moves along, is to introduce the drivers and then have them head up into the stands with hero cards and a Sharpie. Only needs to be 15-20 minutes.

3. A very important aspect of keeping racing healthy is to have young people interested in building and wrenching on the cars. If there are tracks that are near colleges you need to get with them to have students come out and see a night of racing from an engineering and mechanical standpoint. Tracks could even set this up with local high schools as they often have technical classes that are offered. Have them get to the track at 4:30 and go around the pit area until 6 when practice starts. At that point they head over to sit in the stands for the night.

4. Nice bathrooms. Can't say it enough. We took a newb to Anderson and he was appalled with the bathrooms and would never go back. We race crazy people can look past that, but others cannot.

5. It would be great to have driver and car sheets available. It took me about 3 nights of ISW to know who was driving which car.

6. Contrary to what an earlier poster said, having a good web presence is important. As somebody who traveled from WI for ISW, we checked the track sites a lot. However, I found Twitter to be very useful also for up to date information.

3 members like this post: captrat, fish, Roy Bleckert
7/30/15, 1:59 PM   #52
richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungthrottlepodcast View Post
It would be great to have driver and car sheets available. It took me about 3 nights of ISW to know who was driving which car.
At every single USAC National Midget, Sprint, and Silver Crown event, you can purchase an entry list featuring all the drivers' names, numbers, sponsors, chassis, and engine info. These are available for $1 at the USAC merchandise trailer.

4 members like this post: bigq11, BrentTFunk, hungthrottlepodcast, jim goerge
7/30/15, 5:37 PM   #53
hungthrottlepodcast

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 20

My fault for not looking hard enough at the USAC trailer. Guess I was more interested in the shirts!!

7/30/15, 6:26 PM   #54
DAD

Richie

Guess it is lack of advertising that is a hang up here. Nobody knows that they are there. It probably cost a nickle a copy to print them things and lets say they sell 50 of them. For $2.50 in paper and printing they made a $47.00 profit (a real cash cow) .

Now to Good Will. Lets say they print up 500 of them for $25.00 hire a couple of kids (there I go again wishing) maybe advanced age spectators might work and pay them $10.00 each to hand them out at the entrance gate as the fans came in. Would the good will generated by giving the fans free info sheets surpass the $47.00 profit made on sales of the darned things?

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/30/15 at 6:28 PM.

3 members like this post: dirt330, jim goerge, Roy Bleckert
7/30/15, 7:48 PM   #55
TQ29m

The big problem with the idea, is not knowing who will be showing up at any given race, you'd be lucky to have 50% of them correct, then what have you got, it would be indeed an asset, but with all the things that change in a moment, you would about have to wait til just before hot laps, to put together such an animal, yes, it would be handy, but practical, maybe not so much! Bob

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
7/30/15, 8:11 PM   #56
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

One thing I hear from new fans is this, I go to a race and throw down $20.00-$25.00 per person, plus travel $$$$, plus buying concessions at the track, then the rain comes and the show is cancelled or PPD to a later date which they can't make for whatever reason, work, etc. Track reschedules to fit their schedule, new fans are left with a not so good first time experience and out their hard earned money.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/30/15, 8:20 PM   #57
JDK222

I agree seat saving is out of control! I was at Kokomo and half the grandstand was covered with blankets and duct tape and not a person in the stands, what a joke.

We have to get kids more involved. We need to get them around the cars and drivers as much as possible. Autograph sessions are a great start. I remember as young boy being driven around the track by the street stock drivers after the races. The track organized this, I know this isn't possible with Sprint Cars and probably liability issues now anyway. My point is this was 35 years ago and I still remember it like it yesterday it was an orange car number 11. I was so excited!

I think USAC could print a color "Hero Type" card explaining a sprint car. Fast Facts about them.

One of the great things about Sprint Car racing is the accessibility to the drivers. In my opinion this is what killed NASCAR. When the drivers give autographs through slots in a glass window you have problems.

Just my thoughts I hope I didn't insult anyone that was not my intention.

7/30/15, 8:49 PM   #58
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK222 View Post
I agree seat saving is out of control! I was at Kokomo and half the grandstand was covered with blankets and duct tape and not a person in the stands, what a joke.

We have to get kids more involved. We need to get them around the cars and drivers as much as possible. Autograph sessions are a great start. I remember as young boy being driven around the track by the street stock drivers after the races. The track organized this, I know this isn't possible with Sprint Cars and probably liability issues now anyway. My point is this was 35 years ago and I still remember it like it yesterday it was an orange car number 11. I was so excited!

I think USAC could print a color "Hero Type" card explaining a sprint car. Fast Facts about them.

One of the great things about Sprint Car racing is the accessibility to the drivers. In my opinion this is what killed NASCAR. When the drivers give autographs through slots in a glass window you have problems.

Just my thoughts I hope I didn't insult anyone that was not my intention.
I ve not seen empty blankets or duct tape during the sprint heats or feature.Certainly before the race or when the fenders are running there are empty seats.Many fans prefer watching sprints only.

3 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, Roy Bleckert
7/30/15, 9:26 PM   #59
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

And for big races every one of those seats were empty with no blankets at 3pm when the gate open so that means those people were there and I've never seen em go unused at Kokomo. As others said they go out to the car or down to the bar for the other classes but their there when the sprints roll. Except maybe Pine and Aero. Sometimes they can't find the gate again

7/30/15, 9:41 PM   #60
JDK222

I agree seats were filled when the racing started. My comments are directed at how first time fans view this only. I am in the pit so this doesn't affect me. In my opinion if I came to a race for the first time and I saw all those "reserved" seats it would bother me. I would feel like everybody else knew something I didn't and I was an outsider not welcome. That's all I meant how it is perceived by newbies not long term fans. Thanks

2 members like this post: 2fast4u, PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thoughts on creating new fans