IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How much "sheet metal"?
2/6/19, 3:09 PM   #11
Re: How much "sheet metal"?
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK222 View Post
I wish they would completely enclose the driver with a roof that attaches with hinges. I also think they need to have fenders to make them safer. Cars should be fully enclosed.
Sounds as if the genre' of racecar you're wanting to watch is late models. Everything but the hinged escape hatch fits your preferences. Give the Late Model Dream or the World 100 at Eldora a try. I've heard it's a really great party! Besides having fenders and being fully enclosed the left rear jacks up a foot and a half all by itself upon acceleration and half the left rear wheel and tire disappears behind the left side sheet metal. The right front wheel sticks out to the right side a foot or more further than the right rear. The right side of the front valance is a foot shorter than the left side and the whole nose piece is somehow twisted to the right. Given 'em a try, they might be just what your looking for.

2/6/19, 4:18 PM   #12
48M

As a former Midget driver (2016 -2nd in POWRi Outlaw Midget Points, not bragging just for reference) I prefer to have some sort of covering on both sides of me. Since midgets run with no wing I am entering and exiting the car from the top anyway, and left side exit would result in dealing with a hot exhaust. I have been in an accident when a front tire on another car got into the car with me and smashed my hand on the steering wheel, after that i started putting left side guards on my cars. I am not personally a fan of the halo bars being put on cars now. I had one on a midget and my Han's device would get caught on it when i was trying to get out of the car. But i don't know what the answer is for head protection so as of now i would just risk running with out the Halo. But i can say if I run midgets or Wingless sprints I will have some sort of panel on the left side of the car.

4 members like this post: fish, ISF, jim goerge, PIT CART
2/6/19, 11:25 PM   #13
jdull99

Quote:
This has to be an over 50 post....
Like it's been posted 50 times (in one way or another? lol). Prolly, but seems like only way stuff gets changed/"fixed" is enough people complain...but this isn't Twitter...for some reason that has become the only source for anything...I prefer IoW myself...(age38)...lol
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

2/6/19, 11:32 PM   #14
Midget98

Duplicate
Last edited by Midget98; 2/6/19 at 11:35 PM.

2/6/19, 11:34 PM   #15
Midget98

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48M View Post
As a former Midget driver (2016 -2nd in POWRi Outlaw Midget Points, not bragging just for reference) I prefer to have some sort of covering on both sides of me. Since midgets run with no wing I am entering and exiting the car from the top anyway, and left side exit would result in dealing with a hot exhaust. I have been in an accident when a front tire on another car got into the car with me and smashed my hand on the steering wheel, after that i started putting left side guards on my cars. I am not personally a fan of the halo bars being put on cars now. I had one on a midget and my Han's device would get caught on it when i was trying to get out of the car. But i don't know what the answer is for head protection so as of now i would just risk running with out the Halo. But i can say if I run midgets or Wingless sprints I will have some sort of panel on the left side of the car.
I too am a former midget driver and I agree about the protection, but carbon fiber and sheet metal don't give you any real protection other than from rocks or mud. The only thing that adds to real safety is extra chassis bars and they don't have to be covered with body panels to do their job. If the body work is what makes you feel safe in the car, you're just fooling yourself.

6 members like this post: captrat, jdull99, kcarm92, luckybuc97, racer5c, Tony74
2/7/19, 5:00 AM   #16
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget98 View Post
I too am a former midget driver and I agree about the protection, but carbon fiber and sheet metal don't give you any real protection other than from rocks or mud. The only thing that adds to real safety is extra chassis bars and they don't have to be covered with body panels to do their job. If the body work is what makes you feel safe in the car, you're just fooling yourself.
ditto...for the most part...(my "former driver" part included a brief foray in Midget98's beautiful equipment too...the best car I got to drive in any discipline of my "career"...lol. From stock cars of all sorts, mini-indys, etc).

PS - at the end of my National Midget "career", I used to make an attempt to at least Q (when they had it) without the right side guard (seemed my dad always wanted to button it on...surprising, as he is a traditionalist, but gather he did figure it was "safer"), at least once a year, espcly on HoF night. It did in-fact give a different perspective...idt it made me any faster tho...lol. BUT I maybe only raced without one barely once tho, I gotta say...I heard enough stories of guys from the 80s & early 90s taking a rock in the arm...actly forgot it one time & had a buddy stop at the shop on his way up! lol.
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

2/7/19, 10:25 AM   #17
captrat

And your point is?

2 members like this post: Boat, wright59
2/7/19, 10:26 AM   #18
captrat

Quote:
I only stated that I believe the person who started the post would be over 50.......and I bet I am right.
And your point is?

2/7/19, 1:20 PM   #19
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48M View Post
I think we should respect the opinions of drivers like this guy who are risking their lives for our entertainment. Only way i can see to make everybody happy about this is clear Plexiglass panels?

1 member likes this post: jdull99
2/7/19, 1:36 PM   #20
motorhead748

Quote:
This has to be an over 50 post....
While wearing a black Simpson coat & a Goodyear hat.....jk

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How much "sheet metal"?