IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
hoscalecody (Offline)
  #21 2/7/19 2:06 PM
Way I look at it is as long as it fits within the rules let the driver run what side arm guards or no arm guards as he wants. Hopefully it doesn't happen, but if he gets trapped and killed in a fire due to the panels blocking off the escape then that was his choice it'd be bad to see, but we're racing death is a very possible thing to happen. I'm all for left side enclosures, but not all the way up to the dash like the KKM or CMR cars. This isn't the 70's anymore. (Even though them cars were beautiful.) People want to preach safety, but then say "let's run no side panels so we can see the driver do his thing." That makes no sense. I personally will probably adding a left side bar and panel to close the car up some more on the left probably elbow height or a little more bending down. I've gotten hit enough by rocks or big pieces of mud and want to have less of a chance on getting hit in the left arm by another car.

Corky
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #22 2/7/19 7:21 PM
I’ve touched on this subject before. I say , just to simplify it the rule should be no bodywork above the drivers sight line anywhere on the car, sun visor excluded. In my opinion this should apply especially to the Silver Crown series
2 Likes: ChanceDHolley, jim goerge
racer5c (Offline)
  #23 2/9/19 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by flagboy55:
I’ve touched on this subject before. I say , just to simplify it the rule should be no bodywork above the drivers sight line anywhere on the car, sun visor excluded. In my opinion this should apply especially to the Silver Crown series
they used to not even allow sun visors
2 Likes: flagboy55, jim goerge
Midget98 (Offline)
  #24 2/9/19 1:19 PM
Originally Posted by racer5c:
And let's be realistic about the "sun visor". They don't really block the sun anyway. If this was the real reason for them how come they stay on after dark? Two dzus buttons and off they come. And realistically, how many races are run in the daytime anymore where this might even be a viable excuse? Taping off the top part of the helmet visor is way more effective for blocking sunlight anyway. I remember when the big controversy of the day was panels on the outside of the nerf bars on a Drinan pavement car. It didn't take long for those to be banned. Same goes for the ram air hood that was popular for a few weeks before USAC said no forward facing scoops directed toward induction. Is it just that the incremental growth of the side panels came on slowly enough to not cause an uproar. I guarantee if someone had shown up at a USAC race back in the late 90's with a car looking like the ones today, there would have been immediate action to limit bodywork.
3 Likes: captrat, flagboy55, Tony74
hoscalecody (Offline)
  #25 2/10/19 4:48 AM
I disagree Midget98. My Front and Side visors block off lots of sun. Also helps block off the big lights at night. I got crap from some people when I started running them, but one person that gave me crap started running them himself and noticed a big difference. Biggest place that I have noticed them to be very helpful is Turns 3&4 at Waynesfield. Rules allow me to run 8 inch tall side visors, I think that's a little to big personally. Mine are 3-3 1/2 inches. I'm going to make more so might go 4 1/2-5 inches, but in testing I can see fine out the sides with bigger just this car is a little taller. I also don't have them part of the side panel so if there would be fire and I need to go out the side with a little pressure the will bend out. Taping the visor off makes it less visibility everywhere. Sun visors only take visibility out from top of the car. I personally felt it was a lot safer to run sun visors then taping off my helmet.

Corky
Spi-nex (Offline)
  #26 2/10/19 11:17 AM
When tracks started moving to the bright halogen lights, those visors became necessary. Now the trend is moving to more power efficient LED lighting and both are much brighter and more intense than the old amber lighting.

And for those of us fans that are annoyed by the constant ride-hopping in open wheel, the names on the visors are really helpful.

Late Models where just discussing visors, it's not open wheel, but it's worth the read and the reasons may be applicable to sprinters as well:
https://racingnews.co/2019/02/03/mar...n-dirt-racing/
Leohr46 (Offline)
  #27 2/10/19 4:24 PM
I have ran front and side visors for several years. They help with lights and keeping mudd and rocks off of me.
They will stay on my cars unless someone wants to come along with a big sponsor check. Then they can be removed if they would like.
ZMR (Offline)
  #28 2/11/19 6:10 AM
Originally Posted by racer5c:
The people who say sun visors don’t work have never entered turn three at Lernerville.