IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How did something so similar become that separated
3/7/13, 11:02 PM   #1
How did something so similar become that separated
ClaytonYeley

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/sho...-Track-Drivers

3/7/13, 11:20 PM   #2
Re: How did something so similar become that separ
racephoto1

Fun to read, some humorous, some insightful, some spiteful. Through some of it Indy arrogance shines through.

The one thing they ALL neglect to mention, and Kyle Larson told me this, the rear engine guys don't hire on talent, they hire on CASH. That's from f2000 on up.

4 members like this post: dirtball, jim goerge, team3521, UberKuhlMan
3/7/13, 11:32 PM   #3
Jackslash.com

We are going to cover "social media" on our next Jackslash Podcast.

Bryan Clauson has a huge web presence. One of the top dirt track social media racers today.

Clauson, Kasey Kahne Racing, Brady Bacon, Joey Saldana, and Tony Stewart Racing are on point with social media.

These teams have the web locked and have pretty much hit the ceiling with dirt track follows.

Point being, the sprint car fan base is small and the sprint car fan base using social media is even smaller.

3/8/13, 1:15 AM   #4
Danny Burton

Huge 10-4 on the arrogance and smugness, Chris. I weighed in on post #55.

If not for that race in May, I'd follow that series about as much as I follow NASCAR these days.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

3/8/13, 10:25 AM   #5
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Looks as though I got my own thread on Track Forum, guess I’m big time now. I’m the person that wrote into the mailbag. Below is what I said, what RM said. I stand by it all because it’s fact.

I like how Twitter followers = a fan base. That’s probably the dumbest thing I’ve ever read. So if you aren’t on Twitter, you aren’t a fan? Twitter is great for many things….I’m on it and like it…you just can’t base fan stats off of it. I could probably come up with 50 people off the top of my head that like racing who aren’t on Twitter. The other thing is, I said there needs to be a good mix of drivers (that doesn’t mean get rid of those that come up a different way)…serve more fan bases. If you are running an open wheel series, wouldn’t you want to serve ALL open wheel fan bases? (there are people that don't like road racing....there are people that don't like oval racing....serve them all...that's what the top series is supposed to do IMO) I realize the cars aren’t the same, but if you think Tony Stewart wouldn’t be an IndyCar champ (talking if there was one series when he won in the IRL), you don’t know racing. Al Unser, Jr. was one of the best road racers of his time….how did he get started? The best can drive it all, period. The only reason I pay a bit of attention to stock cars is to see how the dirt tracker is doing. If you don't think 3 or 4 of the Nascar stars that came from the dirt wouldn't increase the numbers for IndyCar, you don't get it.

BTW – I don’t read Track Forum because of the idiocy (read it once…figured it out fast). That thread is exhibit A of it.

Q: I could have saved IMS the fee to get a ridiculous report from a consulting firm that appears to have few (if any) good ideas. It's very simple: more short-track drivers need to get a chance. I don't know how many times this point has to be said and I don't know how many times those in charge are going to miss that point. Think about it, from '60-'95 there would be about 20-25 500 wins that would have gone to other drivers ...basically due to those guys being in NASCAR when you look at current conditions. Think about all the names that would not be on the Borg Warner if things then, were as they are now. Absolutely sad. The series needs to be a good mix of drivers ... this is not an American vs. foreign debate. They are several good Americans right now. The IRL started as giving the short track racer a chance, but this needs to happen with a unified series (if that means they just run the ovals, then fine). It didn't work then because half the open-wheel fan base was pissed at the other half. There are a lot of fans out there that would get behind a driver they have seen race over and over coming up. People have no idea who Hildebrand and Newgarden are (again talking about those that pay zero attention to IndyCar now not those already in the fan base) until they get to IndyCar. You can't go on a Saturday night and watch a Pro Mazda race at places across the U.S. The point is to build a fan base BEFORE a driver gets to IndyCar. The current ladder prepares drivers to race, but it does zero to build interest for those that aren't already fans...none of those people care one bit about a driver they have never heard of. ... They also aren't going to take the time to pay attention and care. You're missing a big population of race fans by not serving them. The point is to broaden the fan base to include more people. Why do fans follow Stewart, Gordon, Kahne, Newman, Boyer, Edwards, Stenhouse, Blaney ... and others? They can relate to them because they used to see them all the time "around home." The top level of open wheel racing in the US needs to serve ALL forms of open-wheel racing as a way to get there... Until that's solved, the powers that be can try whatever they want. … the needle won't move. … I think the point is to serve as many types of fans as you can. ... That's not being done currently. This seems rather simple to me...and a consulting firm isn't really needed to understand it.

KT, Noblesville, IN

RM: When I took Randy Bernard to Bloomington and Kokomo to see his first USAC sprint shows he was instantly a fan and wanted to reconnect with those people. He promised to get a USAC champion back at Indy and he delivered by bringing Bryan Clauson last May. But as much as I love USAC racing and guys like Levi Jones, Dave Darland, Tracy Hines and Clauson, it would take a major change in philosophy in rules, cars and tracks to get them in IndyCar. And I don’t see it happening so maybe a one-off at Indy is the best hope. But I really wonder how many short track fans came to IMS last year to cheer on Clauson.

4 members like this post: DaveP63, dirtball, DirtyD, jim goerge
3/8/13, 12:32 PM   #6
PAW

His grandpa and grandma didn't go?

Posted via Mobile Device

3/8/13, 7:15 PM   #7
B99

KT

You hit a 500 foot home run with that question to Miller!!!

Bernard was smart enough as a businessman to understand that you don't grow your product by pizzing off potential customers by being arrogant and conceited, telling them that they and their drivers aren't wanted.

It ought to speak volumes to the mindless over at that other forum that Daniqua left their series, has done little in NASCAR yet is ten times more recognizable and popular than guys like Franchitti and Dixon.

Funny thing is, Miller blows like the wind. When he was eating at the CART buffets all he could talk about was guys from other countries no one knew about.

Now that he's employed by someone else, he takes up again for the dirt track guys.

1 member likes this post: Bluteam
3/10/13, 11:56 AM   #8
BrentTFunk

Anyone who believes that people don't buy rides in nascar should take a look at Cole Whitt. There is no reason he should be looking for a ride this year, except his ride got bought out from under him. As much as I would like to see more of our guys at Indy, and love to revisit the roadster era, I would think if we can not sell out the short tracks, then selling out Indy would not happen.

3 members like this post: DaveP63, itsanonwingthing, Mud Packer
3/10/13, 6:16 PM   #9
DaveP63

Ride buying is now common place in everything including all feeder series that lead to IMS.

3/10/13, 8:05 PM   #10
Gregg

I'm the one that said IndyCar missed the boat, the dock and the harbor on Kyle Larson.

1 member likes this post: I Miss Manzy
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How did something so similar become that separated