IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > State fair races in jeopardy?
4/14/20, 4:42 PM   #41
openwheelfan1

Back to the original question of “State Fair races in jeopardy”: the mayor of Paducah, KY (the closest town to us) announced yesterday the city owned/operated pool would not open in 2020. It usually opens Memorial Day weekend and closes the 3rd or last week of August. The reason she gave was that they understand that gatherings/crowds comparable to what the pool draws (maybe 250 on a VERY busy day) wouldn’t be allowed before normal closing of the pool for the season. Now, she may very well be full of BS (she frequently is) and declined to elaborate on where she got her timing of crowd gatherings, BUT, if that is the mindset of KY politicians, where this virus has been relatively mild, I have to think IL will be way more conservative.

4/14/20, 5:10 PM   #42
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Wright View Post
A most predictable way to avoid answering my questions. "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" Benjamin Franklin

Since we have this time for twiddling our thumbs. Spend some of that time Googling some of these. Many of their achievements impact us everyday in food, medicine, the devices we are using, racing, and much more: Archimedes, Ptolemy, DaVinci, Newton, Galileo, Venturi, Bernouli, Pasteur, Franklin, Jenner, Fleming, Curie, Otto, Einstein, Oppenheimer, Tesla, Edison, Bell, Salk, Carver, Burbank, Turing. I could go on, but I've got to get back to twiddling. 😁

4/18/20, 4:53 PM   #43
Re: State fair races in jeopardy?
Joe Schaub

The one currently occupying the office of Governor has stated that there will not be large crowds allowed in Illinois this summer. I can't help but only take that as no State Fair's in Springfield and DuQuoin and essentially no race tracks open this year.

This fan is about as dejected as you can get.

4/18/20, 9:26 PM   #44
racer-x

I live in a small town in Northwest Indiana and we had a local families son die earlier this week. Since they couldn’t have a normal funeral about 50 of the dads friends brought there semis and hot rods out to maybe put a smile on the family’s face. The town police closed the state road and the parade led the family to the cemetery with many people standing in the side of the road.

I didn’t see one mask 😷 or anyone with gloves on and yes we were standing in a crowd of more people then 10 . It was heart warming to see all these people although sad about the loss of a town person just happy to be out of there house.

This country can’t survive with all these people unemployed and if you think the government is going to bail you out your very uninformed.

I’m not sure when racing will start again in Indiana but I can guarantee it will happen here before it does in Illinois or California
Last edited by Mrs G; 5/7/20 at 2:07 PM.

5/6/20, 9:05 PM   #45
Joe Schaub

It was announced today that the likelihood of the state fairs in Illinois being canceled are likely.

https://newschannel20.com/news/local...-governor-says

2020 can go pound sand for all I care.

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
5/7/20, 7:58 AM   #46
axman897

I hope USAC makes some changes to the Big Car schedule and adds a few races now. Might as well add the Carb Day Classic to the Friday night in August now.

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
5/7/20, 9:30 AM   #47
sw1911

PRITZKER SAYS STATE FAIRS LIKELY TO BE CANCELED BECAUSE OF COVID-19
Governor J.B. Pritzker said during his press briefing Wednesday it is unlikely the Illinois and DuQuoin state fairs will take place this year because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The Illinois State Fair is scheduled for Aug. 12-23 in Springfield and the DuQuoin State fair is scheduled for Aug. 28 to Sept. 7.

As of Wednesday, the fairs’ websites said they were still scheduled to happen. But all events at the Illinois State Fairgrounds through May 31 have been canceled.

5/8/20, 5:14 PM   #48
SpfldMile

It would be nice if the races could still be run even if the fairs were cancelled. Wishful thinking, I know, but if we’re trending towards better numbers...

4 members like this post: ISF, luckybuc97, miledirt, tqracer53
5/8/20, 5:23 PM   #49
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Just hoping that POWRi Illinois Speedweek will still happen.😬

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

5/8/20, 5:51 PM   #50
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfan View Post
Just hoping that POWRi Illinois Speedweek will still happen.😬
Hell I just hope Indiana sprintweek will happen

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

3 members like this post: ISF, luckybuc97, racenut69
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > State fair races in jeopardy?