IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute, It's a new beast with lots of history
4/25/22, 6:22 PM   #1
Terre Haute, It's a new beast with lots of history
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I haven't seen a lot of pictures, Just what Ballou has posted, But wow. I've seen four groove racing at THAT before. Im just wondering if it could lead to Armco runners now. with others slow rolling the inner?

Anyone have a link to more pictures? Im excited for it.

3 members like this post: Ken Bonnema, nathans1012, oppweld
4/25/22, 8:05 PM   #2
terrehautian

I will get some photos from Saturday I took in here shortly. Here is what I know is done or will be.

-new turn walls
-Infield tower renovated due to rot and working restrooms
-new lighting but I’m not sure of the details of what and when it will be done
-concession stand under grandstands has been gutted and will be renovated
-new track equipment
-water tanks got a new concrete pad (not exciting but it is something)
-new push lane

That is what I know for sure. After talking to Bernie, he wants to see the track be around for a long time. It was interesting that he talked about seeing the track on abcs wide world of sports. I remember doing the same thing with my grandpa.

4/25/22, 8:13 PM   #3
Re: Terre Haute, It's a new beast with lots of history
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 22

Love the improvements, hope they address the PA system. Excited to get there Sunday!!

4 members like this post: Dirtfan, oppweld, sw1911, tirespinner
4/25/22, 8:28 PM   #4
Charles Nungester

Weird thing with the PA is sometimes You could hear it ok, Others not. Always heard Chris Nunn ok.

4/25/22, 8:30 PM   #5
kcarm92

we was by there yesterday, place looks great, people will be surprised by the work that has been done.

4/25/22, 8:37 PM   #6
terrehautian

These are a few I got Saturday.
Attached Images
192G9188_01.MP4.21_11_07_26.Still001.jpg (866.9 KB, 303 views)
192G9190_01.MP4.21_13_42_22.Still001.jpg (991.0 KB, 300 views)
192G9192_01.MP4.21_14_47_23.Still001.jpg (984.8 KB, 291 views)

4/25/22, 11:51 PM   #7
flagboy55

Terrehutian It needs to be around for a long time, it already has been. I will admit I was skeptical that it would lose the ambiance that was and is, if not the most historically significant track left running in the country, it’s certainly top 3. I’m glad that from what you posted, it’s not lost on the new proprietors. Maybe I’m alone on this opinion but, it has never ceased to be great. The only time it ever disappoints is when the proper effort is not applied. And I will acknowledge it’s not easy with a big track like that. Many on this board have said it and I’ll say it again, I can’t think of a more awesome sight in Sprint Car racing than standing in the infield entering turn 3 and watching a brave racer in a wingless car, come off 2 and sail down the back stretch and turn it into 3. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. I’m glad it seems to be in proper hands. Gives me hope I’ll take my grandkids there to get the same thrill I got when dad took us there in the 70’s

4/26/22, 12:28 AM   #8
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Terrehutian It needs to be around for a long time, it already has been. I will admit I was skeptical that it would lose the ambiance that was and is, if not the most historically significant track left running in the country, it’s certainly top 3. I’m glad that from what you posted, it’s not lost on the new proprietors. Maybe I’m alone on this opinion but, it has never ceased to be great. The only time it ever disappoints is when the proper effort is not applied. And I will acknowledge it’s not easy with a big track like that. Many on this board have said it and I’ll say it again, I can’t think of a more awesome sight in Sprint Car racing than standing in the infield entering turn 3 and watching a brave racer in a wingless car, come off 2 and sail down the back stretch and turn it into 3. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. I’m glad it seems to be in proper hands. Gives me hope I’ll take my grandkids there to get the same thrill I got when dad took us there in the 70’s

Im really hoping the promotors got a good contract. It seems some time and $$$ are getting put into it (Long time coming) But we've seen the board do stupid things before. A few years from now the view may not be favorable to racing. SO SUPPORT IT. it's the only way to quash that notion. Also pleased to see that Ballou put in a lot of work on it. he missed some races because of it as well..

Also hope that many who wouldn't race do to the concrete will now give it a chance.

4 members like this post: Dirt Track Cowboy, Ken Bonnema, mc/rider, PJ Wright
4/26/22, 5:27 AM   #9
DaleDuBois

Back in the day this one promoter only took from the track and everything he spent was charged to the fair board till they got rid of him. Sargent was the first decent promoter but only done what he could without spending lots of money. It was time for a change. I remember going to Terre Haute and seeing the sprints race, only USAC ran a Terre Haute back then and the pits was across the track in front of the grandstand. I never seen more than 15 or 20 race cars racing back then, no support classes ever, this was before the sprints has roll cages. Later on, a local guy Paul Sizemore made a deal with the fair board and got a date for running stock cars in exchange for putting on a demo derby for the fair board. When that race was ran the whole infield was used for the pits. Lots of late models and hobby stocks showed up. I graded and watered the track for Sizemore.

1 member likes this post: oppweld
4/26/22, 7:48 AM   #10
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

I think Terre Haute is one of the best places to introduce new fans. So many different perspectives for viewing. Up in turn 4, under the roof in one, and let's not forget standing in the corners In the infield during hot laps. The one thing the promotional group could do to
Set themselves apart from all the rest would open pits till 1 hour prior to heat in the motor. The interaction with the fans and teams is critical to growing the sport. This could be THAT'S signature low cost move that creates maximum gain.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute, It's a new beast with lots of history