IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > abandoned speedways
8/3/09, 5:35 PM   #1
abandoned speedways
old time Hoosier

Any oldtimers out there remember the quarter mile dirt tracks at Chesterfield and Albany in Indiana? The Skyview Speedway was just south of Chesterfield is now a gravel pit. The Albany Speedway was located on the eastern side of the city of Albany and a very faint outline of the oval can still be seen. Both were in operation in the early 1950's but neither one of them lasted very long. Anybody remember them?

8/3/09, 5:57 PM   #2
ByronMack

Quote:
Originally Posted by old time Hoosier View Post
Any oldtimers out there remember the quarter mile dirt tracks at Chesterfield and Albany in Indiana? The Skyview Speedway was just south of Chesterfield is now a gravel pit. The Albany Speedway was located on the eastern side of the city of Albany and a very faint outline of the oval can still be seen. Both were in operation in the early 1950's but neither one of them lasted very long. Anybody remember them?
I don't remember them, but I've heard a lot of good stories from Carl Kinser, Ray Godsey and a lot of the other retired drivers that used to gather at Corey's cafe in Oolitic. I know there used to be a track in Mitchell and I think there was one in Eureeka, not sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

8/4/09, 1:23 PM   #3
Re: abandoned speedways
GregD

I grew up about five miles from where you said the Chesterfield race track was, that was in the 50's. But I never remember hearing about it. I do hope someone will have some information on it.

8/4/09, 3:35 PM   #4
#1Brad Kuhn Fan

the gravel pit is right behind my house. im only 16 so i have no clue.i do hope someone finds information about this track in chesterfield.

8/4/09, 6:43 PM   #5
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

I read an article in flat out mag a couple of years ago about 1 just north of alexandria & I was at gas city for a race last year & I actually went lookin for the remains of it(as per article) to no avail.
Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by Indy1808; 8/4/09 at 6:44 PM.

8/4/09, 7:41 PM   #6
#1Brad Kuhn Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1808 View Post
I read an article in flat out mag a couple of years ago about 1 just north of alexandria & I was at gas city for a race last year & I actually went lookin for the remains of it(as per article) to no avail.
Posted via Mobile Device
armscamp speedway. its there. light poles turns 3 and 4 and the front wall are all still there.

8/5/09, 5:39 PM   #7
old time Hoosier

GregD It has been many years since I drove through the area at Chesterfield but I think it was on highway 67 and not highway 32 where the Skyview Speedway was located. It was south of the railroad tracks and south of the hwy. The last time I drove by there was absolutely nothing left of the speedway replaced by a very big gravel pit. The track had no lights and events were held on Sunday afternoons and it was very, very dusty.

8/5/09, 7:46 PM   #8
GregD

Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea what years the track operated and what kind of cars ran there?

8/5/09, 9:38 PM   #9
old time Hoosier

GregD The track operated in the very early 1950's, I would guess 1950-1953 era. I also remember a block building sitting out in front of the race track that might have been a restaurant, truck stop or a bar. I THINK, but I am not positive, that the building had a sign that said SKYVIEW SPEEDWAY. The last time I drove past on hwy 67 that building was still there and appeared to a part of the constuction / gravel pit business. The only kind of cars we seen there were the modified coupes. A source that might have more information would be Bill Holloway who still lives in Muncie and might have run the place. Google Bill Holloways Racing Photos and a link at the bottom has a contact for Bill or his grandsons would constructed the very near page.

8/5/09, 9:47 PM   #10
#1Brad Kuhn Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by old time Hoosier View Post
GregD The track operated in the very early 1950's, I would guess 1950-1953 era. I also remember a block building sitting out in front of the race track that might have been a restaurant, truck stop or a bar. I THINK, but I am not positive, that the building had a sign that said SKYVIEW SPEEDWAY. The last time I drove past on hwy 67 that building was still there and appeared to a part of the constuction / gravel pit business. The only kind of cars we seen there were the modified coupes. A source that might have more information would be Bill Holloway who still lives in Muncie and might have run the place. Google Bill Holloways Racing Photos and a link at the bottom has a contact for Bill or his grandsons would constructed the very near page.
that building is a bar now. and ever july the town has there fire works at the gravel pit.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > abandoned speedways