IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > abandoned speedways
8/27/09, 10:19 PM   #51
Re: abandoned speedways
Butch47265

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintManDave View Post
Yes Bob, it was officially Columbus speedway, but I knew it as the hill.Went there many times in the early and mid 50's
It was called Columbus Motor Speedway right beside Clifty Creek, or in the HOLE, alot of big name racers came out of the hole,Pat Oconner,Larry Crochett,Bob Baker,Gene Minor,Ted Pfeifer,he went in the creek 1/2 times. I also remember Red Amick coming to 25 st. 1/2 mile and raced under name of Red Apple and won the feach. Butch Wilkerson #1

8/28/09, 10:00 AM   #52
SteveD

Greenville (OH) Motor Speedway (google) Half mile banked dirt West of Stardust Motel (49 S/Dayton Rd) South of Eidson Rd. (South of old drive in theater) Easy to see on google maps We stay here about '95 for a multi day Eldora show and walked back behind the motel and found the site. Six inch trees growing up on the track surface then, old ticket booth and broken down stands. It's still there go take a peak.......... Steve & Christie

8/28/09, 10:27 AM   #53
the1jet17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 21

Quote:
Greenville (OH) Motor Speedway (google) Half mile banked dirt West of Stardust Motel (49 S/Dayton Rd) South of Eidson Rd. (South of old drive in theater) Easy to see on google maps We stay here about '95 for a multi day Eldora show and walked back behind the motel and found the site. Six inch trees growing up on the track surface then, old ticket booth and broken down stands. It's still there go take a peak.......... Steve & Christie
would this be it?

9/13/09, 10:20 PM   #54
Vukie

In the early 1950's, the AAA sprints staged a couple of races at Booneville, Indiana. Any information on that track? Anything left of the track?

9/13/09, 11:40 PM   #55
Dusty Goggles

Their was (and still is) a track near Fortville called Raceland. It has not run since 1947. It had the nickname of 'the dog track' It is located just a little north and East of the New Chevy dealer at the point of In 234 & 67.
Dusty

9/14/09, 1:39 AM   #56
WardRacing33

Race Count This Year: 8

Anyone have any memories about the track that used to be in Lafayette IN. It used to sit right off of IN38 going into to lafayette. My grandfather used to run pretty good there according to him.

9/14/09, 6:24 AM   #57
Butch47265

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintManDave View Post
Yes Bob, it was officially Columbus speedway, but I knew it as the hill.Went there many times in the early and mid 50's
That was called COLUMBUS MOTOR SPEEDWAY I was there almost every sunday till MOM new I was going to drive no matter WHAT she made DAD quit taking me there,Crochette,Oconnor,Pfeifer,Perry, Carmichael, Minor,Ponsler,Baker,Cooksey,Cooley just a few names I member it was RACIN THOO. Butch Wilkerson #1

9/14/09, 10:57 AM   #58
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardRacing33 View Post
Anyone have any memories about the track that used to be in Lafayette IN. It used to sit right off of IN38 going into to lafayette. My grandfather used to run pretty good there according to him.
Was this the small paved track 1/5 mile I think? If so I saw some midgets there. Banks, Hanks, Eaton and others so it must have been AAA.

9/14/09, 12:19 PM   #59
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Goggles View Post
Their was (and still is) a track near Fortville called Raceland. It has not run since 1947. It had the nickname of 'the dog track' It is located just a little north and East of the New Chevy dealer at the point of In 234 & 67.
Dusty
This is what I found on Google Earth

Attachment 1471

9/15/09, 8:58 AM   #60
SteveD

New Bremen OH "the blueprint for Eldora" This storied track is mostly there. Was part of the championship trail to Indy, USAC running here often with many of the Greats taking a checkered flag here! A sportsman club now uses it. Walked in about '94, everything there but "falling in". I heard Earl bought or leased it and then closed it after building Eldora?? Hope this post jogs some memories. Easily seen on Google map north of town.
Last edited by SteveD; 9/15/09 at 8:15 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > abandoned speedways