IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City 2014
2/25/14, 3:45 PM   #41
Re: 2014 Gas City Schedule!!......
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Thanks for the, um intermission, Brucer...
But back to the subject, I just had a long conversation with Mel; heck of a nice guy. The long and short of it is, he still hasn't got the Midget rules nailed down yet, and had kind of a misperception that the Mini Sprints had an advantage over full Midgets at Montpelier (somebody told him they let Mini Sprints run wings against the Midgets; what the heck?). I did my best to persuade him that a "National" Midget still has the edge, but Mini Sprints can be competitive and add to the car count. He's also had discussions with Greg Watson (Alex Watson's Dad) who's told him the same thing. Mel said he would give our input some serious thought and give me a call when he's decided what he's going to do. Maybe some of you other sprocket-heads should give him a call, too; take up your chains and rise!!! We have nothing to lose but our Friday nights!
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 2/25/14 at 3:50 PM.

1 member likes this post: Jerry Spencer
2/25/14, 3:55 PM   #42
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
Thanks for the, um intermission, Brucer...
But back to the subject, I just had a long conversation with Mel; heck of a nice guy. The long and short of it is, he still hasn't got the Midget rules nailed down yet, and had kind of a misperception that the Mini Sprints had an advantage over full Midgets at Montpelier (somebody told him they let Mini Sprints run wings against the Midgets; what the heck?). I did my best to persuade him that a "National" Midget still has the edge, but Mini Sprints can be competitive and add to the car count. He's also had discussions with Greg Watson (Alex Watson's Dad) who's told him the same thing. Mel said he would give our input some serious thought and give me a call when he's decided what he's going to do.
Well, last spring, I was the only mini sprint at Montpelier for the Friday night race and I definitely did not have any advantage over the midgets. I was flat footed, elbows up and hanging in there with the oil cooled Suzuki til it let go. As anyone who has been to one of the events, it's a level playing field. The first season really illustrated this as Joe was one of the front runners because two reasons. 1. Heck of a shoe. 2. Nailed his setup.

1 member likes this post: jjones752
2/25/14, 3:58 PM   #43
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickMead#13 View Post
Well, last spring, I was the only mini sprint at Montpelier for the Friday night race and I definitely did not have any advantage over the midgets. I was flat footed, elbows up and hanging in there with the oil cooled Suzuki til it let go. As anyone who has been to one of the events, it's a level playing field. The first season really illustrated this as Joe was one of the front runners because two reasons. 1. Heck of a shoe. 2. Nailed his setup.
Alex Walton was in this boat as well.

2/25/14, 4:11 PM   #44
Re: Gas City 2014
jjones752

I know, my brother, I was there; I don't know who's giving Mel the Kool-Aid (thought that was my job ) about us puttin' it to the Midgets but I did my best to set him straight. Time will tell if we'll have another place to get sideways...

1 member likes this post: Jspradling
2/25/14, 4:33 PM   #45
mowerman

Race Count This Year: 13
Race Count Last Year: 87

It's getting a little late to still be figuring out what any rules are. Someone is behind and the season is on top of us. Monica

2 members like this post: AustinSprinter, Charles Nungester
2/25/14, 7:27 PM   #46
jjones752

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerman View Post
It's getting a little late to still be figuring out what any rules are. Someone is behind and the season is on top of us. Monica
I agree. When I spoke with Mel it sounded like he had a lot on his plate, hopefully he hasn't bitten off too much; apparently the Thunder Car scene is even more political than what's going on over on the National Mini Sprint Rules thread! A 20-race Midget schedule and no rules in place yet is concerning.
But, as I said before, he seems like a really nice guy; he has a real affection for that race track and wants to do everything he can to make it a first-class operation. He has some good ideas for getting people in the stands and making new fans out of kids.
It was a packed half-hour phone call; I wish Mel every success, and hope to support his Midget venture if the rules allow us the opportunity.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Jerry Spencer
2/25/14, 7:27 PM   #47
2014 Gas City schedule!!......
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

no probs JJones!!...had some smoke, set off the alarm, in da kitchen that needed my immediate attn.!!..my bad for the delay!!....

2/25/14, 7:43 PM   #48
Jerry Spencer

I am sorry to get people concerns up all I know is Mel took the track and did not let it sit dark as was a real possibility.

Like Jones said Mel cares about Gas City and will do what he has to too make it work, sorry he does not have things as perfect as some of the fans/drivers/owners would like but again it beats the hell out of not running Gas City at all.

I for one have faith in Mel and his team.

Please keep in mind the last time Gas City wanted to update the stands the town of Gas city was the one that stopped progress not the track.

Hope to see you all in a month or so.

Jerry
Last edited by Jerry Spencer; 2/25/14 at 7:45 PM.

2/25/14, 8:49 PM   #49
AERO410SCJA

Race Count This Year: 24

I'm wondering about important things, like when I can put down my seats for the year

4 members like this post: bandres21, BrentTFunk, Half fast, Onlydirt
2/25/14, 11:18 PM   #50
batch56

Quote:
Originally Posted by AERO410SCJA View Post
I'm wondering about important things, like when I can put down my seats for the year
Aero, would you possibly be able to save me a seat?

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Half fast
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City 2014