IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > No factory teams in midgets?
1/19/10, 9:42 AM   #11
Re: No factory teams in midgets?
outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortboyz View Post
....and TSR parked the Midgets 2/3 of the way through last season.
....... and why was that? Maybe the factory support dried up? Wait no maybe about that.

1/19/10, 10:25 AM   #12
rhk3

There is NO way that the winning engine on Saturday night was a standard 20K Esslinger.
Last edited by rhk3; 1/19/10 at 10:27 AM.

1/19/10, 10:58 AM   #13
buck2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk3 View Post
There is NO way that the winning engine on Saturday night was a standard 20K Esslinger.
My source is Dan Esslinger...who is yours?

1/19/10, 1:23 PM   #14
LEADERS EDGE

Believe it or not, the tweener Esslinger that costs around $20,000-$22,000 is a great motor and is more than capable of winning at 95 percent of the tracks they run.

Why is that so hard for people to believe?

2 members like this post: Geoff Kaiser, wobbler
1/19/10, 2:34 PM   #15
JstAbvVMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
Believe it or not, the tweener Esslinger that costs around $20,000-$22,000 is a great motor and is more than capable of winning at 95 percent of the tracks they run.

Why is that so hard for people to believe?
I have no idea why some can't accept that....The motor isn't everything !!!

1/19/10, 2:37 PM   #16
stroud21

Regarding the rev limiter deal, it sounds like it is going to happen. i had someone at the chili bowl tell me to look up the 2010 rule book on usac's site and check out page 70. what i found is below.

I. RPM limitation devices will be mandatory; the limitation device will be specified by USAC and effective April 1, 2010.
Details will be provided by USAC.

1/19/10, 2:55 PM   #17
v8j

what if any rule changes are in place for usac midgets ?

1/19/10, 3:36 PM   #18
stroud21

Wow, i'm glad v8j ask about other rules. before i looked in the rule book and went just to page 70. i didn't look at the rest. BTW, the rule book hightlights any rule changes, so it is a pretty easy scan to look for changes. i went back and found that they had made a rule change that i had been campainging for since i started racing. It's off topic for this page, but i'll haven't got time yet to make up it own topic yet. It follows below:

All cars must weigh a minimum of 1,050 lbs, including water, oil, fuel, and the driver.

Kevin Miller just made an oversized midget driver happy!

Hey, Don they may actaully be listening out there in USAC land!

Now if we just get POWRI on board with the weight rule i may have an extra excuse to knock the dust off my uniform and helmet and be a racer again. LOL

Steve

1/19/10, 3:42 PM   #19
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstAbvVMC View Post
I have no idea why some can't accept that....The motor isn't everything !!!
A lot of horsepower, can sometimes make a bad driver look good, but a good driver will not always need the extra horses, and in my many years in and around racing, it still seems like the one's that cry the most, and the loudest, are the biggest cheaters! Bob

1/19/10, 4:20 PM   #20
LEADERS EDGE

Considering that you can easily get a car at 900LBS without trick parts, a person who weighs 180lbs will still be overweight by 30lbs compared to the fly weight guys unless you pony up some extra dough for l/w parts.

Personally, I feel the rev limiter deal isn't the right way to go, but the proof is in the pudding. Everyone is fooling themselves if they think you are just going to put on a rev limiter and everything is somehow going to be "even". The teams with money will go out and spend it developing new combinations that will circumvent the situation in terms of performance. The teams without money will now have to buy or rent a rev box that will really accomplish nothing in the long run. There may be teams who will now have USAC motors and then motors for everything else. The teams who hate USAC now have even more of a reason to stay away from them like the plague.

In my opinion at least.

3 members like this post: buck2, Pat O'Connor Fan, wobbler
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > No factory teams in midgets?