IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Keyboard Jockies idea's for future Lawrenceburg Speedway.
8/23/23, 7:21 PM   #1
Keyboard Jockey's idea's for future Lawrenceburg Speedway.
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I connected to my A.I to come up with some things. Trust me, I need it because any intelligence I have is purely artificial.

Motorhead had a idea that if the city acted as owner and hired a operator this would create a different and possibly gain more interested group in operating it. I don't know.

The cost for Lease, Electric and Insurance is considerable and a big staff If they have to come in and replace all the track equipment both track and Concessions out buildings I could easily see that being multi six figures.

The Track I would raise the bottom center of each end a couple feet, reduce the banking about 4-5 more degrees in a progressive fashion and the City would have to invest in either two or three rail armco for the corners (Bolted into wooden post thru the wall) or Safer barrier.. Also I would not final seal or pack in the track (If weather is not a issue) until within a hour or two of race time. In fact I'd be raking and watering up until that point.

Id move race time to 7:30 The Armband would be gone and tickets given and must be presented for passout.

If it were to race a few classes for a championship it would be Sport Mods. A Crown Vic-Stock full size front or rear wheel drive) class, And Hornets. Getting new racers and familys into this and Mods were supposed to be a budget class. Now they're thirty grand motors and thousand dollar shocks. GONE except maybe a special or two.

This would be a multi use facility. Not out of the question would be AMA Flat Track, MotoCross, Monster Truck and demolition shows. (Their biggest event)
I would aim for many sanctioned races. The four USAC shows, WoO Sprints (If I could keep the memorial date, I would) Id change Midget week to Midget Madness. USAC NATIONAL With D2midget and TQ's Id try like heck to get a Lucas Oil LM or WoO or Hell Month date or maybe more than one. Id give it a shot to have a HOOSIER FALL CLASSIC, Date would be important I doubt it could ever be the 50-70 car event it once was. Id also get AMSA or Micros a couple times a year. The goal being some will move up.

Id aim for BOSS/MSCS both each having a individual show and a Two Night nationals co-sanctioned weekend. Maybe even three night with the USAC Nationals topper.

Id have races scheduled for every saturday in March. decent purse and a cancellation set if race time was to be less than 50*

I might have a couple other ideas and Im sure some of this is stupid to some Getting a crew to work multi nights or non regular nights is almost impossible. most have reg jobs or school. You're still going to need marketing, track operations-scheduling and concessions people to pull it all off.

I want to thank the Rudisells. They raced many times they could have called. Tried many things themselves and succeeded with several 17years on a track you don't own. That's rare, Really rare.

Your ideas????? Im sure I overlooked and left several things out or someone might have much better ideas. The question is, would it be successful?.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 8/23/23 at 7:29 PM.

8/23/23, 9:19 PM   #2
Re: Keyboard Jockies idea's for future Lawrenceburg Speedway
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Thinking of the area, the track sits in.

I agree with Charles on getting new racers and families involved.

Just a thought on possible weekly divisions moving forward. I know it's a sprint car track so don't kill me or bombard me with the b.s. tin top crap. Just saying

Crate Racin' USA Crate Late Models (604)
Crate Racin' USA Modifieds (602)
Crate Racin' USA Stock Cars (602)
Crate Racin' USA Sportsman (602)
Crate Rain' USA Thunder Bombers (OEM stock size motor. 363 max .060 over bore)
Sport Mods
Crown Vics
Hornets

Don't run all the classes, but just some classes for thought.

Crate Racin' USA is a great sanction down south. I would love to see them come up north. UMP has turned into a complete joke. We ran with the Crate Racin' USA Late Model Tour at the Talladega Short Track during the Ice Bowl back in January and they were about as professional as you could get with tech and race procedures. As far as the racing there with the different Crate Racin' USA Divisions it was an equal and a level playing field.

Other divisions to think about
Keeping with the Tracks Sprint Car roots maybe run a few 410 Non-Wing Sprint shows a year
USAC Midwest Thunder Midgets
bring back the All-Star Circuit of Champions for a show or two.
BOSS vs MSCS vs USAC Show
USAC vs POWRi vs Xtreme Midgets (If the 3 series could agree)
FAST 410 Wing Sprints
Steel Block Late Model Series gets a good field of cars for their shows.
ILMS Crate Late Models
Indiana RaceSaver 305 Sprints vs Ohio Thunder RaceSaver Sprints
NRA 360 Sprints vs GLSS 360 Sprints
MMSA Mini Sprints (1000cc Mini Sprints)
Maybe age Super Late Model and UMP Modified shows.
The Steel Block Sprints seem to be getting a good field of cars for their shows.
Bring back the AMSA Mini Sprints (1200cc Mini Sprints)
AMA Flat Track Bikes.
Monster Trucks.
Tractor Pulls
Demolition Derbies in the infield

Heck maybe even a few concerts to help bring in revenue like Plymouth Motor Speedway has been doing the past two years. Earlier this year they had Vanilla Ice. Just a few weeks ago they had Tesla with Buckcherry and later this year they have longtime heavy metal icons Megadeth with a few special guests. Get a promoter that is capable of thinking outside the box.

Just some thoughts.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
8/23/23, 10:58 PM   #3
Charles Nungester

Don't get me wrong,, The focus would be two major shows a month. But there would be two or three regular budget based classes. Only one or two running with a special like WoO or USAC.. The reg races would be the three classes plus a guest class.

I think the weekly LM races are dead, same with UMP mods.

I think there is room still for weekly Non Wing Racing but the purse has to be right I think the real detriment to racing today is a class for every budget and less incentive and rising cost preventing attempting or affording the top class.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 8/23/23 at 11:21 PM.

8/24/23, 12:03 AM   #4
DaleDuBois

Back in the day in my area there was Bloomington and Paragon, both had good car counts and lots of people came to watch. Then along came Lincoln Park and Paragons trouble started with low car counts and few watchers as both ran Saturday nights. I also remember Lincoln Park racing two nights a week, Friday and Sundays. Gone is the 2 or 3 dollars to watch, 20 or 30 dollars now. There you have it, too many tracks and inflation.

1 member likes this post: Moreland76
8/24/23, 7:04 AM   #5
cmiracingvids

In its current configuration, the track is just more conducive to winged sprint cars than non wing. Trust me, I know non wings are better. But, being that close to winged country (Ohio) and several series (OVSCA, FAST, etc) I think it just makes sense to bring in a winged 410 series as your headliner on a given race night. If sport mods are your headliner…good luck getting fans to show up. And unfortunately, I think you have to bring in a series any time you race. You have to guarantee a full field of cars. 8 sprint cars won’t get it done. But before anything else, the track needs a facelift. It’s pretty clear most racers would rather go literally anywhere else than race at Lawrenceburg right now. Doesn’t matter how much you pay. That used to be Terre Haute….now it’s the Burg.

8/24/23, 8:11 AM   #6
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
Earlier this year they had Vanilla Ice.
Seriously?

1 member likes this post: motorhead748
8/24/23, 8:14 AM   #7
Charles Nungester

I agree on the facelift. Which is why I said reduce banking and add guardrail or safer barrier.

I never said Sport Mods headliner. I said three classes that would run for championships. Oh there might be a couple family nights where id have only them plus MMSA or something But it would be a headliner and two of the classes most races.

On the headliners. Id try to work with other tracks. If you run both GC and Burg, A extra hundo to whatever finish you get or Bloomington and Burg. If both tracks did that Id be open to trying to schedule with em vs against em. Say a blomington/GC, Burg and Circle City weekend a couple times a year.

8/24/23, 8:17 AM   #8
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiracingvids View Post

If sport mods are your headliner…good luck getting fans to show up.
Down here (Houston, TX), we call them Limited Modifieds. As the story goes, they were invented here in the 90s, with the intention of being Bombers without fenders. Eventually, they took over and replaced the IMCA/UMP/USRA type mods. Within 15 years, 4 area established tracks shuttered with only one not being plowed under, but I doubt it is coming back. The only track remaining is having modest success with the class, but it is also the only track within 100 miles of Houston, and area with a population of 6M to draw from. . . .

8/24/23, 9:18 AM   #9
dsc1600

Modifying the track is definitely job one, just seems not to fit the non-winged sprints that well anymore. The remainder of the facility is one of the nicer ones in short track racing and it seems to have the support of the town, so all is not lost for this track.

8/24/23, 10:42 AM   #10
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmakin View Post
Seriously?
Yep and it was a sell out

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Keyboard Jockies idea's for future Lawrenceburg Speedway.