IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tony George has left the building !!!
1/20/10, 1:35 AM   #11
Re: Tony George has left the building !!!
Blackduce

If I was Tony, I would be happy all the stress is gone. It only took 3 men to replace him.

Lynn

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, wbr
1/20/10, 7:18 AM   #12
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

TG made mistakes along the way, but careful what you wish for to those that are glad he's out. "Beancounters" are in charge now so EVERYTHING comes down to the bottom line of dollars when decisions are made. Until (or if) they get a "racing person" in charge, decisions made will be about the dollar.

I personally think from a racing standpoint...be it IRL or IMS itself....John Andretti would be a good choice to run things from the racing side. Grew up around the place and loves it.

I didn't agree with everything TG did, but he does love the sport (sometimes the love is misplaced). Now the "love" comes down to money decisions.
Last edited by openwheelKT; 1/20/10 at 7:19 AM.

7 members like this post: BrentTFunk, IndyBound, interpreter66, Mud Packer, PJ Wright, Seadog, wbr
1/20/10, 8:10 AM   #13
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelKT View Post
TG made mistakes along the way, but careful what you wish for to those that are glad he's out. "Beancounters" are in charge now so EVERYTHING comes down to the bottom line of dollars when decisions are made. Until (or if) they get a "racing person" in charge, decisions made will be about the dollar.

I personally think from a racing standpoint...be it IRL or IMS itself....John Andretti would be a good choice to run things from the racing side. Grew up around the place and loves it.

I didn't agree with everything TG did, but he does love the sport (sometimes the love is misplaced). Now the "love" comes down to money decisions.
Man, I can't agree more. When bankers and lawyers run something, only bad things can happen.

1 member likes this post: wbr
1/20/10, 9:01 AM   #14
wright59

John Andretti for president!!!

1/20/10, 9:14 AM   #15
Seadog

Just wondering...if Tony will still be on the Board of Directors for USAC? Or is he gone from there too? He was at the USAC banquet the other night, right?

1/20/10, 10:50 AM   #16
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

Not saying I could do a better job. But Tony George lives in a completely different world than the average race fan. A world above bankers and lawyers. I do imagine he would have more interest in the Speedway and IRL then anyone else in his family. I just hope there is something positive in open wheel racing in the next few years.

1/20/10, 2:13 PM   #17
wbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmakin View Post
Man, I can't agree more. When bankers and lawyers run something, only bad things can happen.
I agree too. You don't have to look too far to see how lawyers and bankers run things- look at our economy.

1/20/10, 2:53 PM   #18
coxie bowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexonephoto View Post
Not saying I could do a better job. But Tony George lives in a completely different world than the average race fan. A world above bankers and lawyers. I do imagine he would have more interest in the Speedway and IRL then anyone else in his family. I just hope there is something positive in open wheel racing in the next few years.
Have you ever seen him drive a race car? He has driven Formula Vees' at very high speeds on the big tracks and most recently, I saw him get the job done in a very, very competitive drive at the Chili Bowl a few years ago. This was a time when he had a WHOLE LOT TO LOSE. He's been in the trenches and he knows what it's all about.
On another note pertaining to the, "OUTSTER" if that be the case, he might have resigned from the other companies on his own after the IMS thing early on.

Think about the forthcoming question. HAVE YOU EVER HAD TO ANSWER TO or worked for a relative? Now factor in the, VENUS / MARS equation. (RELATIVES + VENUS / MARS = Goom Bye!!!)

1 member likes this post: Seadog
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tony George has left the building !!!