IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Selinsgrove Silver Crown
8/9/20, 11:48 PM   #1
Selinsgrove Silver Crown
Hubie

That was a car race! WOW!

Shane Cottle, you did a GREAT job!!! At one time he was standing on the track with his helmet off, waiting for the wrecker to take his wounded car to the work area. About 45 laps later he's standing in Victory Lane!

As the big dogs chased CJ Leary, who led the entire evening after setting fast time, they all burnt the tire off. Cottle had a new one and the bit in his teeth. Shane got my attention when he blew by Brady Bacon. I knew something special was about to happen. Yellows started popping like the worn right rears on the cars. Shane Cottle, he is the master of running the bottom anyway. I went outside and checked the stars, sure enough, they were all lined up!

Way to go Dude! With two laps to go he went around the outside of CJ Leary for the lead only to be foiled by the yellow. I looked up and the stars were still all aligned, this deal was not over. On the restart Shane stuck to the bottom and Leary inexplicably threw his racer into turn one like it had a new right rear. He held the lead down the back straight but that fried tire was going to be no help when it came to turn three, and it wasn't. Shane Cottle bumped him a bit as Leary struggled to hold his car down low, coming off four Cottle just flat smoked the slowing Leary and into the lead he went.

That was a great, great car race. Way to go Shane

8/10/20, 1:14 PM   #2
Re: Selinsgrove Silver Crown
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 22

After the race he was asked if the newer tire helped. He said “ I wouldn’t call it new, it was 2 years old “. Thought that was awesome. Then Leary complained about all the late cautions and how guys were popping car out of gear and not pulling in and that Cottle knocked half the paint off his tail tank and maybe he’ll get a check from him.

2 members like this post: bighd0522, jim goerge
8/10/20, 1:35 PM   #3
berks co

I agree great race However ending at 11:20 onSunday is UNACCEPTABLE

2 members like this post: stp6237, WinglessLovers
8/10/20, 1:58 PM   #4
kb78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo View Post
After the race he was asked if the newer tire helped. He said “ I wouldn’t call it new, it was 2 years old “. Thought that was awesome. Then Leary complained about all the late cautions and how guys were popping car out of gear and not pulling in and that Cottle knocked half the paint off his tail tank and maybe he’ll get a check from him.
I know that he was frustrated with the situation as I would have been, but I will remember this quote the next time he stops on the track with a flat tire in the sprint car instead of just getting out of the way. It also appeared to me that Cottle only got into him once and it wasn't even bad enough to get him out of shape, perhaps if he wasn't running such a wide line trying to hang on to the lead Cottle could have missed him entirely.

5 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, jim goerge, opnwhlmnd, spicoli, WinglessLovers
8/10/20, 2:28 PM   #5
staggerman

I think in the future if USAC is not going to count yellow flag laps they will need to put a rule in place if you change a tire in the middle of the race you automatically go down 1 lap otherwise everyone will plan a pit stop in the future. Yes, I am happy Cottle won but Silver Crown races are endurance runs. Also agree with the other poster, too much downtime and ran way to late for a Sunday.

1 member likes this post: Kansasdirtfan
8/10/20, 2:39 PM   #6
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb78 View Post
I know that he was frustrated with the situation as I would have been, but I will remember this quote the next time he stops on the track with a flat tire in the sprint car instead of just getting out of the way. It also appeared to me that Cottle only got into him once and it wasn't even bad enough to get him out of shape, perhaps if he wasn't running such a wide line trying to hang on to the lead Cottle could have missed him entirely.
Yes my thoughts exactly.

8/10/20, 3:53 PM   #7
DJlives

I think there were things learned as a first time event that will make the second year better encompassing all the comments above

2 members like this post: PJ Wright, racer-x
8/10/20, 7:10 PM   #8
jim goerge

Has Leary ran any race where he hasn"t cried about something? I couldn"t believe hearing him last year about somebody beating him and he couldn"t pass the guy cuz they were in his groove, UNREAL!!!!

8/10/20, 10:10 PM   #9
openwheelfan1

Look, I like Shane Cottle, because I think he is an underrated driver and underdog. But I do think that that USAC needs to look at the rules for future Silver Crown races on 1/2 miles where yellow laps don’t count, because the races will become not about managing your equipment and your race, but about who has the biggest tire budget. The other thing that needs to be looked at is having a cut-off or some way to stop cars changing tires under yellow, not getting done before the furled flag and coming out and stopping to delay the restart. I saw Justin Grant and at least one other car do this. It extends the race unnecessarily. Overall, it was an enjoyable race to watch on Flo.

1 member likes this post: tqracer65
8/10/20, 11:12 PM   #10
duel

Anytime you come from last to first in a usac race its big. Congrats Shane!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Selinsgrove Silver Crown