IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Atten: Bill Gardner
1/15/12, 11:00 AM   #1
Atten: Bill Gardner
Melmo

Bill to start got to say thanks for this web page you have gave us for many years and kept going with this page with all the up and downs you have to go though!!!

I was thinking and I know Bill's thinking oh boy whats Melmo up to now!!!

After keeping up with the Chili Bowl the last few nights we have to thank Fred and Danny for all there updates and all the time they gave up to keep us informed on what was going on!!!

You know people don't know how good they got it now compared to back in the day with auto racing. I remember my Mom would get so upset would get her phone bill every month and had several long distance phone calls and why they were made!!! Well all it was is me calling everyone I know so I could get the updates for that weekend. I would always tell her I didn't know nothing about them and she was always calling the phone company cussing them out and they would take them off the bill but the bad part was that didn't last long though and I got cought.
Then it was like man I can't wait until Sunday to get to Kokomo Speedway to find out what happen everywhere else it was crazy.

So I thought it would be cool since there's not much going on to here some of the story's from the old timers what they had to do get updates and how long it would take them unlike today where were so lucky to get it as its happing!!!

So got to say thanks Bill and lets hear some more story's!!!

1/15/12, 11:12 AM   #2
Re: Atten: Bill Gardner
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

I agree Melmo! Well, a picture is worth a thousand words they say, so I guess a video must be worth a million!
On Kokomospeedway.net's homepage you can watch the Sprint and Midget portions of The Bob Darland Memorial with Justin Grant and Dave Darland as The Victors!! Woohoo!

I guess that isn't really what this thread is about, re reading Melmo's post! Oh well! Enjoy the videos anyway!
Last edited by racegal; 1/15/12 at 2:58 PM.

1/15/12, 12:02 PM   #3
Drtchsr

Race Count This Year: 34
Race Count Last Year: 53

National Speed Sport was the most sought after piece of mail at our house. The postal service (sorry Danny) was not in very good graces some weeks when the paper was late arriving. Most people can relate to those frustations

Posted via Mobile Device

1/15/12, 3:35 PM   #4
nonwing

Back in 1996 I was actually sponsored by Dave Argabright. He had a 1-900 number that he called RaceLine. You could call and get results from tracks all across the country. The only other option was NSSN and it normally came in the mailbox on Thursdays. Dave had a good thing going until the internet became more accessible.

This is a pic of me in 1996 at Gas City. The car is a 1987 Challenger with a Stealth hood. John Godfrey built this car when he worked for Challenger and his Stealth hood fit perfectly. Baker and Gould from Crawfordsville painted the car for me and Andy Pierce painted the numbers. Andy also painted my helmet.

4 members like this post: Mud Packer, racegal, ronmil, speed bump
1/15/12, 4:27 PM   #5
Melmo

Oh yea the speed sport news was another hot item we had but most of the time couldn't wait!!! The first place I always went to was my Dad because he worked with guy sprint car driver named Ron Fisher and that also brings back memories from back in the day. I remember going to all these sprint car races and what really got me thinking was Ron was always a good driver but never had a car but one time he was able to get into the Karl Kinser #11 when Dick Gains Sr. was on sick leave and Ron won every race he was in except one and that was the Little 500 where he finished 3rd. So that goes to show its a lot about the car.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Atten: Bill Gardner