IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Sprints - Terre Haute - 9/13/70
10/28/11, 12:22 PM   #21
Re: USAC Sprints - Terre Haute - 9/13/70
Pat O'Connor Fan

Not Blundy.
but maybe P o l a n d ?
Last edited by Pat O'Connor Fan; 10/28/11 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Is there some sort of PC rule that fears Polish jokes?

10/28/11, 12:25 PM   #22
indybail

Didn't Johnny Capels end up being Johnny Rutherford's crew chief in camp cars? I'm thinking the Alex Brothers #21.

10/29/11, 7:52 PM   #23
nonwing

I really don't think we will ever see sprint cars again on a mile. USAC stopped running sprints on mile long tracks after Leon Thickston's son, Jeff was killed coming out of turn four at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. It was a really sad day and I was there sitting with my parents in the grandstand. Its also sad that sprint cars without wings will not run again on miles. I grew up watching my dad's Helliguass Offy running with IMCA and dad always thought sprint cars were only to run on miles and half miles and never on quarter miles.

1 member likes this post: Speedwrench
10/30/11, 4:12 PM   #24
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pierce View Post
Ron...I'm really disappointed. I thought you kept all those stats, etc. in your memory. I didn't think you would ever rely on a "little book".
Al,

I just write down the track and date of the event. I use to write down qualifying times and results for USAC races separate from my little book, but that got to be too much like a job, so I quit doing it. Wish I had kept a record of all the races I've attended. Didn't start writing them down in a "little book" until 1970. I do remember the "biggies" from earlier years, such as USAC at Salem, Terre Haute, DuQuoin, and IRP, and of course Indianapolis 500's, and Nascar at Daytona and Atlanta. Apparently Marv really kept some detailed records. I have a friend from Beecher City, IL who keeps detailed records of the races. I noticed at Putnamville that he still does it. There are a few people who write down qualifying times, lineups, etc., but not near as many as there use to be.
Last edited by ronmil; 10/30/11 at 4:18 PM.

10/30/11, 4:54 PM   #25
richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonwing View Post
I really don't think we will ever see sprint cars again on a mile. USAC stopped running sprints on mile long tracks after Leon Thickston's son, Jeff was killed coming out of turn four at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.
Maybe sprint cars won't run on dirt miles anymore, but USAC Sprints were still running on the paved miles at Milwaukee, Pikes Peak, and Nazareth up until about 2005. The sprints also ran on the Phoenix mile up until the late 1990s.

I particularly remember the USAC tripleheader at Milwaukee in 2004 with the IndyCar weekend. I believe Bobby East won the sprint portion of the program in the Klatt #5.

10/30/11, 5:26 PM   #26
mscs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart31rac View Post
Was the Jerry ******, is that Blundy. As to the springfiels mile, I have watched the sprint cars run there, if they brought them back I would be there. There was nothing like the mile on sunday afternoon and Joes on sunday night, Wow I miss that place.
We ran Joe's (Little Springfield) on Friday and Sat, then on the mile Sunday afternoon........no Sunday night during "Super Weekend".

Steve Thomas

10/30/11, 7:26 PM   #27
kart31rac

Thanks Steve it is bad to get old I just remember it was a great weekend. just like state fair weeked.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Sprints - Terre Haute - 9/13/70