IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IRP 1993 - who are they?
8/16/11, 5:31 AM   #1
IRP 1993 - who are they?
AndyD90

Hi guys, I'm a drive-through poster here for some information.

Back in 1993, I was vacationing in Indiana and went to a race at IRP. I watched the Sprint car race and took a few pictures. Only one shows enough detail to identify the cars, and I'd like to ID the drivers in it.

There was a Fastmasters race on the card, so that places it between June and August (not much help). I know that the driver's names were not on the side of the Fastmasters cars, so that makes me think it was early in the series, July 10th or 17th. I remember that both Bobby Allison & David Pearson were racing that night.
Attached Images
Sprintcars IRP 1993.jpg (811.2 KB, 954 views)

8/16/11, 10:04 AM   #2
Re: IRP 1993 - who are they?
tamati

for one they are midgets. could be tony stewart in the 6p, might be andy michner in the white 6, possibly eric gordon in the blue and white 6, and jack runyen about to hit another wall. not sure about the 11.

1 member likes this post: Lewis1585
8/19/11, 5:02 PM   #3
nonwing

I agree with tamati with the fact that these are midgets. Runyon is in the 7p. I do think that is Tony Stewart in Potters blue 6. I'm pretty sure that is his helmet. I do remember Eric Gordon running a midget and that should be him in the Valvoline color scheme number 6. I do think that is also Andy Michner in the other 6. Geeze, I forgot how many number 6s that ran back then. The number 11... I can't make even a guess on this one. It could be Gerhkie, but he sits too low in the car.

8/23/11, 5:41 PM   #4
AndyD90

Thanks for the reply, and I apologize for being so late in returning. Lost a system drive.

I had a few problems making the initial post and in one of the early drafts I admitted that I was a sports car guy and couldn't tell a Sprint car from a Midget. I grew up in the Northeast and we had Modifieds.

I was secretly hoping to have captured Tony Stewart somewhere in that group. I'd spent the day before in Columbus because I heard it was an interesting town.

I've been out to the Speedway twice, though never for the 500. Now that Indycar is back on track I hope to get back for a week or two and see the race, visit IRP again, go back up to the Auburn Museum and generally have as much fun as I did when I was there last. Out of a job now, but things will happen.

Thanks for your help!

11/10/11, 9:54 AM   #5
streihawk8

The 11 is Lynn Jacobs< who was from Denver Colorado at the time.

1/10/12, 1:22 PM   #6
nitrofunny

the red white and blue #6 is Mark Amenda.he ran a few races with USAC around this time. Nice guy! hoosier hillbilly and i talked to him one night. MAybe this night pictured. it was an older volkswagen.

1/13/12, 6:52 AM   #7
kinser

6M - Andy Michener 6P- Mike Bliss 6X- Page Jones 11V Johnny Parsons

3/30/12, 3:07 AM   #8
arigatou

I'm sure that is his helmet. I remember Eric - Gordon run dwarf, this should be his color scheme of the Valvoline.

9/23/12, 7:28 PM   #9
midgetfan1962

that is andy michner in the #6...it sits in my garage 362 days a year,guess where its at the other 3?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IRP 1993 - who are they?