IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Fairgrounds tonight?
5/28/11, 1:25 PM   #71
treecitytornado

Man what is up with that track? I guess it has more sand than it used too. All this rain and a cool night and the qual times were in the high 33s and 34 second bracket! That's terrible, they should have been trying to break J.P.'s track record!
Posted via Mobile Device

5/28/11, 2:58 PM   #72
Fairgrounds "Hoosier 100" Tonight??....
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIDA.com View Post
116 of Mike Martin
Thanks RR!!...that was my guess, when Mike took no time!!..He/ASCS Canyon (NW) runs tonite & Sun at USA Tucson!!......

5/28/11, 6:59 PM   #73
Re: Fairgrounds tonight?
SUPERDUKE
Banned

People told me the crowd was better then the last 5 years! Why ? Still a lot of empty seats!

5/28/11, 7:02 PM   #74
micro94

Nice way for Coons to rebound.Congrats on a great win!!!!

5/28/11, 7:17 PM   #75
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Your right its a horse track! But the 18" wide wheels and 20" wide tires! Just pack the track and its black slick in 5 min.

5/28/11, 8:09 PM   #76
deannalynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE View Post
People told me the crowd was better then the last 5 years! Why ? Still a lot of empty seats!
It got rained out at least two of the last 5 years with no rain date so that might have put a damper in last year's crowd. I'm sure centennial activities in town brought some extra people, too. The empty seats were just the ones down low and nobody ever sits there anyway. I'm just thankful for whoever gave up the best seats in the house cause my family got to sit there and hope to get the same for next year. I know racing in Indy never really went away, but it appears there was a lull after some big boys took their sponsors and marketing gurus with them to the next level, but new sponsors are entering the picture now. We might be in a growth phase again, but it looks like we're gonna keep our racing capital of the world title!

GOSSIP alert: I'm not gonna say who - but a team member of a fan favorite said there's a good possibility of hitting the last couple Thursday Night Thunders at LORP!!!!!!!!! I'm guessing they're not the only team thinking this. TNT=Dynomite!!!

5/28/11, 8:26 PM   #77
nonwing

I had a great time and got to see a lot of old friends. The track started out greasy as it was really wet. With the sand mixed in with water and some dirt, which I doubt includes any clay, gave an OK surface to race on. However, to say that it was typical, I would disagree. Usually if you draw an early number you could get a decent qualifying time. However, the track got better the later you went out as the track dried out.

Also, because of the low car count of 31, everyone got in the show and we didn't have to run a consi. I did take my small video camera and mounted it on Gene Nolen's #20 with Shane Hollingsworth at the wheel. I mounted it above and behind Shane Hollingsworth's helmet, facing the front. I must admit, next time I plan to face the camera toward the back as it was literally sand blasted! I had some footage that is watchable and if you know what you are looking for, you can see Shane work past 5 or 6 cars before the engine expired about lap 20.

Great evening,

1 member likes this post: racegal
5/30/11, 3:38 PM   #78
dirtball

Great race with a great winner! Thought Levi was going to run away with it, however not to be. Been watching this race for the last 20-30 years and always enjoyed it. I like the 51/49 format, gives the drivers a break and you never know who made the right tweaks to challenge. Just enjoy watching the drivers throw the cars in the 1st turn , and saschaying out of the 4th turn. Awesome!

5/30/11, 5:43 PM   #79
SC90

5/30/11, 9:17 PM   #80
miledirt

I've been to quite a few of these shows in the past, driving over from STL, but this was the best crowd I can remember...

Good crowd, yes - good car count, not so much. Was cool to see several new guys in the silver crown division though

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Fairgrounds tonight?