Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Western Springs Midgets
12/26/15, 6:08 PM   #1
Western Springs Midgets
Vukie

30 Lap Boxing Day International Midget Feature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKf_...youtu.be&a:23:

http://springsspeedway.com/
Last edited by Vukie; 12/26/15 at 6:14 PM.

12/26/15, 7:20 PM   #2
cleatziff

Thank you!

1 member likes this post: KENDALLRACING
12/26/15, 8:17 PM   #3
Re: Western Springs Midgets
leftturnonly

Race Count This Year: 15
Race Count Last Year: 12

Where can we find a complete rundown?

12/26/15, 8:45 PM   #4
percynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftturnonly View Post
Where can we find a complete rundown?
We run a unique format on Boxing Night. We select a New Zealand team which consisted of 1nz Brad Mosen, 11a Shayne Alach and 27a Hayden Williams to race against the USA team (39usa Bryan Clauson, 1usa Tracy Hines, 91usa Tyler Thomas) and Australia (7aus Nathan Smee, 6aus Brent Thomas, 87aus Aidan Cornish). After 2 heats it was the American team who came out on top by 3 points over New Zealand with Australia well back. Clauson was the top individual point scorer

The rest of the drivers competed over 5 heats with each driver competing in 2. The top 8 joining the top 8 from the international races to comprise the 16 automatic qualifiers for the A-Main. 54a Michael Pickens was the top qualifier ahead of 2nz Brock Maskovich, 21a Zahn Turner, 9a Michael Brunt and 10usa Zach Daum.

There were two last chance qualifiers which included a boilover in the second one. With just two drivers qualifying from each qualifier 3usa Jerry Coons Jr would find himself on the trailer after being dragged off by 38usa Spencer Bayston at the start of the qualifier and passed by 96a Chris McCutcheon near the end.

I do run a website where I've summarized the feature but you can view the above video and I don't want to violate the self-promotion rule on my first forum post!

12/26/15, 10:46 PM   #5
leftturnonly

Race Count This Year: 15
Race Count Last Year: 12

Thanks I'll try your website

12/27/15, 2:30 AM   #6
addictedtodirt

Thanks for posting. Man, I have got to get there someday.

3 members like this post: etpro43, jim goerge, KENDALLRACING
12/27/15, 6:29 AM   #7
percynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtodirt View Post
Thanks for posting. Man, I have got to get there someday.
Hopefully you'll make it one day. The Christmas/New Year period is our busiest time of year as our summer holidays coincide with the Christmas/New Year period. This year you can do 15 race nights in a row from Boxing Night all within 3 hours drive of Auckland!

For Indiana Open Wheel fans the highlights of the next couple of weeks will be (All NZ Time):
December 28th Western Springs - World Midget 30 Lapper
December 30th Baypark (Tauranga) - International Midget 40-Lap Midget A-Main
January 1st Western Springs - King of the Springs Midget 40 Lapper
January 3rd Western Springs - World Midget 50 Lapper
January 6th Baypark (Tauranga) - New Zealand 410 Winged Sprintcar Title

I'll try to keep you guys updated as much as possible though I do have other commitments that take precedence.

12/27/15, 10:59 AM   #8
stew60

Thanks for the video Vukie, it was great to watch. Pickens was on a mission and a half! Lol
Shame it looked like Smee missed the set up?
Cheers mate (yes I'm an Aussie haha) I look forward to seeing more from the test meetings 👍

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, KENDALLRACING
12/27/15, 1:00 PM   #9
D Byrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew60 View Post
Thanks for the video Vukie, it was great to watch. Pickens was on a mission and a half! Lol
Shame it looked like Smee missed the set up?
Cheers mate (yes I'm an Aussie haha) I look forward to seeing more from the test meetings 👍
Pickens was on a mission, but Clauson dropped a cylinder with 10 laps to go.

12/28/15, 7:29 AM   #10
percynz

Tonight Bryan Clauson won the World Midget 30-Lap Derby to defend the title he won 12 months ago. The race featured an epic 20-lap duel with local favourite Michael Pickens, the two drivers never more than 5 car lengths apart. The lead swapped several times, particularly once the leaders entered lapped traffic. A late caution allowed Spencer Bayston to get around Pickens for the second spot whilst current USAC Midget champion Tracy Hines passed Australian hot shot Nathan Smee on the final corner to grab the 4th spot.

Top qualifiers in the dual heats were Pickens and Tyler Thomas both with a 1st and a 3rd. Zach Daum had to come through the last chance qualifier after flipping in his second heat following contact with New Zealand champion Brad Mosen. Daum had won his opening heat holding off Clauson for the win.

Sorry if I'm out of line in linking but I've posted a full summary of the feature on my website www.percysnzspeedway.com

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Western Springs Midgets