IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Flash of horror: Mason City's Andy Baugh helps rescue driver
6/19/15, 10:00 AM   #1
Flash of horror: Mason City's Andy Baugh helps rescue driver
Ray3

http://www.lincolncourier.com/articl...9438/2000/NEWS

This is why "Lightning Sprints" need to switch to methanol only (track couldn't get it out quickly because it was gas). Then also start requiring a fuel tank and bladder meeting SFI spec 28.2.

Also, have to give a shout out to Andy Baugh for risking his own well being to save another driver! Very courageous thing to do!

6/19/15, 10:42 AM   #2
Re: Flash of horror: Mason City's Andy Baugh helps rescue dr
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

The article points out several things that could be done better by any track, racing organization and car owner
Fire crews should be properly equipped with everything needed in an emergency situation, including Nomex uniforms or turnouts and face protection.
The starter should have thrown the red instead of staring at the conflagration.
Fuel shutoffs should be installed at the tank and dash and clearly marked (note to self: get a label on my tank shutoff).
Murphy switches (that shut off the fuel pump when oil pressure drops to near zero) on electric pumps, or mechanical pump.
ALCOHOL ONLY: are you paying attention Jackson County, and other tracks that require gas? Stock is not always best.
Quick-release steering wheels (the article says he was pinned, hopefully he just forgot about the quick release in the chaos).
Aircraft-quality plumbing.
SFI-spec tanks or bladders.
SFI 3.2/5 minimum clothing.
I have no idea how many of these items were in place on this car, but seeing a picture like that sure makes you think.
Good job Andy; I hope we all have the presence of mind to act quickly in a similar situation.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 6/19/15 at 10:44 AM.

1 member likes this post: KENDALLRACING
6/19/15, 1:23 PM   #3
DAD

T.O.M.A. very important.

1 member likes this post: KENDALLRACING
6/19/15, 1:55 PM   #4
AJ_Engines

I was not there that night but I do have to say that Lincoln Speedway is one of the only tracks that I have ever seen a person on full fire gear standing in each turn with a fire extinguisher by his side. Each and every race, they are there and they move quickly to the scene of a wreck. Seconds matter! Most tracks I've been to, there is a "flagman" in the turns in jeans and a t-shirt who stands there for 30 seconds or a minute before moving to a crash site. Lincoln Speedway, there fire crew, and Andy should all be recognized for their contributions to make this situation just a learning experience and not a mourning experience as well. AJ.

2 members like this post: DAD, KENDALLRACING
6/19/15, 2:28 PM   #5
jjones752

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_Engines View Post
I was not there that night but I do have to say that Lincoln Speedway is one of the only tracks that I have ever seen a person on full fire gear standing in each turn with a fire extinguisher by his side. Each and every race, they are there and they move quickly to the scene of a wreck. Seconds matter! Most tracks I've been to, there is a "flagman" in the turns in jeans and a t-shirt who stands there for 30 seconds or a minute before moving to a crash site. Lincoln Speedway, there fire crew, and Andy should all be recognized for their contributions to make this situation just a learning experience and not a mourning experience as well. AJ.
I've never been to Lincoln so I can't dispute what you're saying, but if there is a fire crew on scene in full gear, how is it that the first responder didn't have face protection? I could see that if he wasn't part of the fire crew but in that case where were they?

6/19/15, 3:41 PM   #6
mscs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
The article points out several things that could be done better by any track, racing organization and car owner
Fire crews should be properly equipped with everything needed in an emergency situation, including Nomex uniforms or turnouts and face protection.
The starter should have thrown the red instead of staring at the conflagration.
Fuel shutoffs should be installed at the tank and dash and clearly marked (note to self: get a label on my tank shutoff).
Murphy switches (that shut off the fuel pump when oil pressure drops to near zero) on electric pumps, or mechanical pump.
ALCOHOL ONLY: are you paying attention Jackson County, and other tracks that require gas? Stock is not always best.
Quick-release steering wheels (the article says he was pinned, hopefully he just forgot about the quick release in the chaos).
Aircraft-quality plumbing.
SFI-spec tanks or bladders.
SFI 3.2/5 minimum clothing.
I have no idea how many of these items were in place on this car, but seeing a picture like that sure makes you think.
Good job Andy; I hope we all have the presence of mind to act quickly in a similar situation.
Jim, I outfitted Chase in PXP underwear and head sock, K1 suit, shoes, gloves, and a Bell Helmet. Nothing charred, burnt or sacrificed. His mom said he had a tank and bladder combination. So his safety choices held up it seems.

6/19/15, 3:56 PM   #7
Nate

Never been to Lincoln but I will say the finest track safety team around that I've seen has to be Lawrenceburg's. Those guys do an excellent job and always seem prepared to take on any situation.

6/19/15, 4:50 PM   #8
KENDALLRACING

BAN Gasoline its to volatile. ....... Methanol only ALL Devisions

6/19/15, 4:58 PM   #9
jjones752

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscs20 View Post
Jim, I outfitted Chase in PXP underwear and head sock, K1 suit, shoes, gloves, and a Bell Helmet. Nothing charred, burnt or sacrificed. His mom said he had a tank and bladder combination. So his safety choices held up it seems.
The fact that he was in the middle of that for 30 seconds and only had his elbow get hot is testament to that. When things like this happen it's a reminder to all of us to see what we can do better, though.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
6/19/15, 6:48 PM   #10
mscs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
The fact that he was in the middle of that for 30 seconds and only had his elbow get hot is testament to that. When things like this happen it's a reminder to all of us to see what we can do better, though.
Amen to that.

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Flash of horror: Mason City's Andy Baugh helps rescue driver