IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2016 POWRi/ILLINI Division II Midget Series Schedule
1/24/16, 10:29 AM   #11
Re: 2016 POWRi/ILLINI Division II Midget Series Schedule
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreffler21 View Post
Neither does dry sumps,individual runner injection and connecting rods ?
What; your "only" talking like $4500-5000 for those items...lol. "2.4ever"
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1/25/16, 3:35 PM   #12
48modracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMooney View Post
The Champaign County Fairgrounds date is interesting. I can’t imagine they’ll be racing on the half mile. A smaller track to be built in the infield?

[IMG][/IMG]
They built a quarter mile in the infield last summer and ran stock cars at the fair last year to kind of test the waters.

3 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, JJMooney, MWRmgr1010
1/26/16, 12:08 AM   #13
DaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreffler21 View Post
Neither does dry sumps,individual runner injection and connecting rods ?
From what I gather from the rules, those items are not mandatory. Also there is a bunch of those parts already out there from rre and jet as well as zero. What sense would it make to not allow it when it makes up about 3/4 of what's already out there. Crying the blues on here makes you look pretty foolish. No one says you have to have it. Even the focus has individual runner. With stock ports and cams doubt the bolt on's will make very much difference. So why don't you give it a shot before you go shooting it down!

5 members like this post: Crankin, fish, hullracing, MWRmgr1010, TQ29m
1/26/16, 3:52 AM   #14
KENDALLRACING

Great article by Derek Schuett that puts POWRI in connection with LaVerne Spencer of the Illini Racing Series going forward in 2016.
Keep the Media updates coming Derek .

1/27/16, 12:32 AM   #15
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGuy View Post
From what I gather from the rules, those items are not mandatory. Also there is a bunch of those parts already out there from rre and jet as well as zero. What sense would it make to not allow it when it makes up about 3/4 of what's already out there. Crying the blues on here makes you look pretty foolish. No one says you have to have it. Even the focus has individual runner. With stock ports and cams doubt the bolt on's will make very much difference. So why don't you give it a shot before you go shooting it down!
I don't think anyone is crying any blues. Some facts were stated / questioned. The word "mandatory" was only used in this quoted post.

If the rules say you can have it, I bet Keith Kunz would have it though (I know this form of midget racing isn't supposed to be about keith kunz; but there are 100s of those that want to be him of this form of racing; & the rules are quickly allowing those that aspire to be that & have the means, to spend $1000s on their "junkyard" engines; when it woulda been simpler to control things from the start...especially on items that can be teched by looking at a car from 10 ft away - not the connecting rod part...lol - but it happens everywhere all the time; so anyone who has been around forms of racing that were supposed to "stock"; wouldn't be surprised anyway...).

I do think the suppliers mentioned should post the retail cost of all the allowed items - of the parts NEW (Keith Kunz doesn't put used parts on his Tulsa cars I don't think...lol).
Last edited by jdull99; 1/27/16 at 12:34 AM.

2 members like this post: CaptainAmerica, DonMoore10
1/27/16, 6:29 PM   #16
MWRmgr1010

Ecotec parts are also available at www.mwrtechnology.com

1/27/16, 10:42 PM   #17
DaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
I don't think anyone is crying any blues. Some facts were stated / questioned. The word "mandatory" was only used in this quoted post.

If the rules say you can have it, I bet Keith Kunz would have it though (I know this form of midget racing isn't supposed to be about keith kunz; but there are 100s of those that want to be him of this form of racing; & the rules are quickly allowing those that aspire to be that & have the means, to spend $1000s on their "junkyard" engines; when it woulda been simpler to control things from the start...especially on items that can be teched by looking at a car from 10 ft away - not the connecting rod part...lol - but it happens everywhere all the time; so anyone who has been around forms of racing that were supposed to "stock"; wouldn't be surprised anyway...).

I do think the suppliers mentioned should post the retail cost of all the allowed items - of the parts NEW (Keith Kunz doesn't put used parts on his Tulsa cars I don't think...lol).
I don't know how the rules are allowing that. I read them 3 times to make sure. This is hardly the start of it from what I read in the article on the first page, Seems to be the next chapter. I think the misconception is exactly what you said. This is a production based series not a junk yard series. I believe the scream focus package sold for $8500 when it was around. The simple fact is that everything cost money. Looking at the rules it seems to limit hp and cost in the parts in the long block. This is the money you don't get back when engines go kaboom. Doubt rods or valve springs are doing to gain hp over stock. Ports and cams are going to keep everyone even. No you don't tech those from 10 feet away but keeps the "want to be" Keith Kunzs from out performing the average racer. What D2 engine do you have?
Last edited by DaGuy; 1/27/16 at 11:04 PM.

1/28/16, 12:42 AM   #18
jdull99

O.E.M. 1974 Chevy2 steel block, head, & crank. Sleeved it up & put real small pistons it in. I'm all in. Looking for partners that would be interesting in supporting this effort so we can support this form of racing, at least in the Northern IL & WI areas. I don't know how to adapt EFI to it, so we will be using mechanical injection from that era too. My 1995 Gaerte is a purpose built race engine, so as of this week, it may be down the road though.

I agree though, POWRi didn't "start" this. My thoughts were on how the whole form was allowed to grow from lots of people saying "all you gotta do is go to the junkyard & get an engine now"...which I know you still CAN; like the other post said, when the rules allow $1000s of aftermarket items to be added, it is no longer $600 engine packages (that will be finishing up front weekly / at the RPM that would keep them together all season / etc)
Last edited by jdull99; 1/28/16 at 12:46 AM.

1/28/16, 11:13 AM   #19
DAD

Viva "Iron Duke"

If the rules are general enough the good engine program will soon rise to the top, It might be a little harder to float the Chevy II. Right now it is the GM Ecotec next year If Keith Jr. finds something better everybody will be racing that. If the rules Specify the only engine that is allowed then everybody gets in a rut and the guy with the biggest wallet wins.

They want 20 grand to build an 82" x 10" tire mold.

Honest Dad himself

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 2016 POWRi/ILLINI Division II Midget Series Schedule