IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Are we seeing the Good Old Days?
7/24/23, 12:01 AM   #1
Are we seeing the Good Old Days?
openwheelfan1

I know a lot of us on here have been around racing and going to races for a LOT of years. I am no exception, having attended my first race almost 60 years ago. It is easy to think about the “Good Old Days” of short track racing. A friend and I were having a friendly discussion and he made a pretty compelling case that we are seeing “the Good Old Days” of non wing sprint car racing right now. His argument is based on the following:

HUGE entry lists (ave. for first 3 nights of ISW is 49)
Depth of the fields (53 of 58 cars were within 1 sec. of the FQ @ Gas City)
Field competitiveness (on any given night, there are probably at least 10 feature starters that can win).

I can’t disagree with a lot of his points. I remember the first USAC sprint race I went to in 1967 had (I think) 16 cars and started 14 in the feature. And there is certainly little doubt that fields are tighter than they’ve ever been

There is no argument from him that the cars of the 60’s and 70’s had better lines and were better looking, and we all wish that the USAC circuit still encompassed pavement racing. This is more about the racing and competitive level.

Kind of curious what others thoughts are.

7/24/23, 12:16 AM   #2
Re: Are we seeing the Good Old Days?
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I didn't see little more than Burg until the mid to late 80s. I think the local shows are about the same with about seven that you know have won or could win any night mostly at that track only but some shine elsewhere.

But for USAC, my good ol days late eighties thru 90s there were TEN at best you were going to choose to win and 99% of the time you'd be right.

Id say 27 of those 35 cars could win any race, any time any day from tonight and maybe 40 of the first two nights.

I too wish Pavement were part of it, However it allows more teams to do all the races and no seek out two different car owners in some cases.

Im just hoping today is the Highlight and not the Twilight. There are less teams running per weekend than just a few years ago. Also happy so many came from PA, TX and AZ, CA to run with us.

7/24/23, 9:27 AM   #3
dsc1600

The only thing missing is a California group to come and race with the Indiana guys. I was watching highlights on Flo from 1997 Speedweek and that was a big deal.

But I do think you can make an argument that the amount of cars, the closeness of the field and the fan count for the first 2 races show this event is on the upswing. Take this and the very strong 4 Crown crowd last year and you can definitely see the benefits of having USAC racing on Flo.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, tirespinner
7/24/23, 9:29 AM   #4
Hubie48

I’m 60 and have never seen USAC Sprints in better shape.

Best Series in North America

and a couple of really talented guys are now wing racing.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, tirespinner
7/24/23, 5:22 PM   #5
flagboy55

1600 and 48 make valid points. I know some younger folks who don’t care for us gray beards talking about the old days, sometimes it sounds like they take offense to it. Here’s the facts when it comes to Sprint and Midgets in USAC. It’s always been good. Some time’s were better than others, but none of it was bad. Fortunately I’ve got a pretty long sample size to draw from thanks to my dad dragging us around with him. Like 1600 I believe said, the high water mark was probably when there was a strong West Coast contingent coming out. At any rate, the United States Auto Club Sprint Cars have always been a joy, and now as good as ever

7/24/23, 5:31 PM   #6
sp6967

every generation has good old days.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dkdorkboy, flagboy55, Hustlin-Hoosier, TBONE
7/24/23, 5:31 PM   #7
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

People complain it's to hard to beat the national guys or even do good with em. But you can stil crack the top ten of USAC if you run well and stay clean
7. Joey Amantea (18), 8. Xavier Doney (14 Burg, Millar finished near the tail but all three I think haven't been here more than a couple other times. If ever. Bright maybe a couple of times in a Sprint but he was among class of the field. Pursley hasn't been here much in a sprint. Moles either. Carson Garrett. not sure I've seen him much either.

From the recent champions to the mid point of the B main, I'd never count one of the last couple nights racers out. These are the good ol days.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/24/23 at 5:38 PM.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, Hubie48, RichH
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Are we seeing the Good Old Days?