IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Now Allowing 15-year-olds to Compete
2/5/16, 4:41 PM   #11
Re: USAC Now Allowing 15-year-olds to Compete
Seadog

This is a pretty long article, but it gives good info on what age the average brain is "mature".

http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/02...lly-developed/

I recall going to races as a kid, and they were sanctioned by AAA. And back then you had to be 21 years old. I also recall some guys using trickery to drive before they were 21. Like Troy Ruttman, the the Rathmanns, etc.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Jerry Spencer, Tony74
2/5/16, 5:03 PM   #12
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Here would be my Rule's for competition for a rookie or under 18 driver

The guys that normally run USAC, Champions ETC all have run with them at other tracks at some point and often much more than just once or twice.

A Panel of
FIVE or Ten USAC Regulars, Past champs or top fives. would have to vouch to the kids cleanliness of driving and maturity. Does the kid throw temper tantrums, Make stupid moves, Throw steering wheels. That same panel should also have the right to SUSPEND or REMOVE the privilege to run USAC sanction events, No refunds either

The panel could also have USAC officals who have worked lower forms of racing, 25s. TQ's. etc. To vouch that tey have consistently behaved and raced in a acceptable manner.

Ive always been under the impression that it was USAC's Insurance that determined the age limit.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 2/5/16 at 5:09 PM.

5 members like this post: amati, jim goerge, kinser, Racer1039, Seadog
2/5/16, 5:04 PM   #13
interpreter66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
This is a pretty long article, but it gives good info on what age the average brain is "mature".

http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/02...lly-developed/

I recall going to races as a kid, and they were sanctioned by AAA. And back then you had to be 21 years old. I also recall some guys using trickery to drive before they were 21. Like Troy Ruttman, the the Rathmanns, etc.
Been around a lot of drivers haven't seen one yet who's brain is fully developed🙄

2/5/16, 5:29 PM   #14
Bad Dad 54

Had an old guy racing w/ us when I was an official, he was all over the track so when he came in I went over to put a yellow ribbon on his car. What are doing asked his wife, he's a rookie isn't he? - Oh no, (name) how long have you been racing? Well he'd been racing quite a while come to find out & he was mad at what I was doing & mad that we made him put on mufflers. Whic he blamed for his brakes locking up. I'm never racing w/ you guys again, I'm leaving - Good was my response, this guy was terrible, slide out high in turns & dive right to the bottom, couldn't hold a line if he was fishing. And by the way, when wrecker showed up to tow him away, it was his front brake that was locked up, not the rear So 15 yr old racing, hmm have to see him race 1st & see how he does. Put a flag on 1 of the Armstrong kids yrs ago, I didn't know him from shinynola, after is aw him race I went back & took it off

5 members like this post: 24midgets, Charles Nungester, interpreter66, jim goerge, TQ97
2/5/16, 7:41 PM   #15
Andrew S. Quinn

When I was 15, I was just moving up to the "Next Level" from my Columbia 10 speed bicycle,to getting a learners driving permit..............

2/5/16, 8:05 PM   #16
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYATK94 View Post
I may get bad feedback, but I whole-heartedly disagree with this response. I just can't sympathize with the "less chance of seeing someone seriously injured, then I don't want to go" mentality. I go to these races to watch good racing, not be astounded by the drivers exhibiting bravery by wheeling death machines. At least you said skill is still a big requirement seeing as people that young aren't just hopping in cars and winning every race.

Sorry, but your "golden" days of drivers routinely being badly injured and killed are gone.

I still believe most of us greatly enjoy watching these "too safe" cars race today.
No bad feedback from me... completely agree!

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
2/5/16, 10:25 PM   #17
sp6967

when one of these young kids makes a mistake and seriously injures or kills one of the veterans things will change.

2 members like this post: Jerry Spencer, monkeyboy
2/5/16, 11:02 PM   #18
TQ97

:dead horse:

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/5/16, 11:37 PM   #19
Rpracing1

I've seen plenty of "veteran" drivers make stupid moves, throw steering wheels and helmets and pitch temper tantrums. Just sayin.

2/5/16, 11:50 PM   #20
Mattmac05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Here would be my Rule's for competition for a rookie or under 18 driver

The guys that normally run USAC, Champions ETC all have run with them at other tracks at some point and often much more than just once or twice.

A Panel of
FIVE or Ten USAC Regulars, Past champs or top fives. would have to vouch to the kids cleanliness of driving and maturity. Does the kid throw temper tantrums, Make stupid moves, Throw steering wheels. That same panel should also have the right to SUSPEND or REMOVE the privilege to run USAC sanction events, No refunds either

The panel could also have USAC officals who have worked lower forms of racing, 25s. TQ's. etc. To vouch that tey have consistently behaved and raced in a acceptable manner.

Ive always been under the impression that it was USAC's Insurance that determined the age limit.
So can the younger drivers vote veteran drivers out for throwing steering wheels, throwing temper tantrums, fighting, or is that only right reserved for those who aren't young 'rebellious kids'

4 members like this post: bigq11, fish, tirespinner, TQ97
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Now Allowing 15-year-olds to Compete