IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Now Allowing 15-year-olds to Compete
2/6/16, 7:56 PM   #31
Re: USAC Now Allowing 15-year-olds to Compete
spicoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqracer65 View Post
What happens when kid under 18 gets punched? Let's say the kid goes to adults trailer starts swinging and adult swings back? Kid started it but since he is not 18 what is outcome of adult fighting back? Remember kid swung first and mom and dad told police. This was always my question when thinking about the age deal. Talent and money aside this has been my biggest question.
Brad
Since the dad is who put him there, the dad should bear full responsibility, including getting the full Hewitt treatment.

1 member likes this post: interpreter66
2/6/16, 8:31 PM   #32
racemaniac

I would have to conclude USAC would give the kid the boot. I've lived in Indiana for a few years now and attend about 30 races a year with pit pass for all usac events and haven't seen one altercation. This what if swing can't be the problem with 15 year olds racing? I doubt any 15 year olds will attempt to make a usac show anyway.

2/6/16, 9:01 PM   #33
TKRacing

I started running a sprint car just before my 16th birthday and I know being under 18 my dad always said if I start something he's not taking an ass beating for my screw up. He won't let me get hurt or let it get really bad but if someone was gonna walk up and punch someone then it's my problem. His words "you are in a mans sport so you are going to be treated like man. You start it its your fight". Not saying my dads opinion was right or wrong and I'm sure most parents wouldn't share that opinion, but I feel as though my dad is right. If you want to "play" with the big boys then you better be willing to be a big boy and accept the consequences.

Todd Kimmel

2/7/16, 9:16 AM   #34
CalChandonnet

I have to admit 15 does seem young. But then again my local short track (which is asphalt) has drivers as young as 14 being able to compete in the street stock division. If they're able to compete without being a hazzard to others then go right ahead. Usac is just trying to keep up with other places offering drivers a chance to step up quicker. I know the sr champ karts at the track are diminishing because of the age change. 15 to drive a champ or turn 14 and go right into a nascar sanctioned car.

2/7/16, 1:27 PM   #35
pcabel04@yahoo.com

Every one thinks they are going to be the next Jeff Gordon or Tony Stewart

2/7/16, 5:53 PM   #36
racer5c

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalChandonnet View Post
I have to admit 15 does seem young. But then again my local short track (which is asphalt) has drivers as young as 14 being able to compete in the street stock division. If they're able to compete without being a hazzard to others then go right ahead. Usac is just trying to keep up with other places offering drivers a chance to step up quicker. I know the sr champ karts at the track are diminishing because of the age change. 15 to drive a champ or turn 14 and go right into a nascar sanctioned car.
a street stock is a far cry from a sprint car

2/7/16, 6:20 PM   #37
interpreter66

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer5c View Post
a street stock is a far cry from a sprint car
I think you're missing the point kind of ironic that The first usac race of the year Will be at bubba Raceway Park where a girl died in a street stock there in time Trials first time ever on the track 15 years old any race vehicle can be deadly
Last edited by interpreter66; 2/7/16 at 6:22 PM.

2 members like this post: DirtHawk92, fish
2/7/16, 7:53 PM   #38
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Lot less safety equipment on a street stock and most parts on the car were never meant to regularly experience the forces they do racing them.

That being said, I get your point.

1 member likes this post: interpreter66
2/7/16, 8:19 PM   #39
hoscalecody

I think at Waynesfield there is a 13-14 year old kid racing a non wing I forget his name and the car he races in 2013 I gave him a suit and didn't see him race till 2015. Also if your talking about the 15 year old Niokoa Johnson she was in a compact 4 cylinder and I thought her cause of death was broken neck do to no head and neck restraint.
Last edited by hoscalecody; 2/7/16 at 8:22 PM.

2/8/16, 1:27 AM   #40
sprinter14

As a promoter myself, I chose to implement a minimum requirement of 16 years of age with a valid driver's license from your state to compete in BOSS events. As stated by some others, a sprint car is a far cry from a mini sprint or a stock car. However, I believe it is an issue that the entire industry needs to look at.

In a world where everyone is so quick to jump on the next new bandwagon safety device, sometimes we overlook the obvious. Maybe tethers aren't as important as drug testing, underage drivers and kids ripping through the pits on quads!!

For those of you not familiar with Australia's racing industry, it is run by the government. Racing in Australia is a lot more expensive than it is here partially because of this.

Now my point is this ...... the last 2 times sprint cars made CNN headline news were when a 15 year old in California crashed into the pits killing people and the infamous New York incident. I'm afraid we are one good catastrophe (of an underage driver) from the government looking into regulating racing here.

If we as an industry don't have the common sense to put good safety precautions in place, Uncle Sam will do it for us .......... and if you think racing is expensive now ...................

Aaron Fry
BOSS

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Now Allowing 15-year-olds to Compete