IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Brickyard 400
7/24/17, 9:49 PM   #21
Re: Brickyard 400
Vertigo

Great to see someone who raced (and once hit the water truck) at Bloomington Speedway win. But sad to see the crowd size. I went for many years including the first year but my last was 2013.

Saturday's crowd was truly pathetic. NASCAR's junior circuit used to get more spectators when it ran at IRP.

6 members like this post: Andretti18fan, dirtball, erich45, jdull99, ronmil, superstock30
7/25/17, 5:53 AM   #22
miledirt

I would go to the xfinity race if it was back at IRP

5 members like this post: Andretti18fan, jdull99, ronmil, superstock30, TBONE
7/25/17, 8:44 AM   #23
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
I'm sure nobody on this site is watching the race but just wondered if the experts could tell me why they started this race so late?

Seeing those stands so empty sure can't be good for the future of any kind of racing.
Maybe so people don't have to sit out & bake in the early day sun, but instead enjoy a nice afternoon/evening of racing...thankfully it started when it did...idk if Kasey coulda beat Brad on ANOTHER restart...(they woulda had at least one more, if it wasn't getting dark...I am sure...).

I'm pretty sure the stands were about as empty the last time they started it any earlier. IMS needs take the apron back out so the stock cars can race 2 wide........

The members of IoW have prolly been to millions of races that start at 7pm (or after - I've been to many that never start on time); so why is a 2:40pm sched green flag even a discussion point??? idgi. I agree with the one post though, with up-coming rain, you'd like to think they coulda bumped it up 10-15minutes at that point...it wasn't like they had people waiting outside in long lines to buy tickets...lol
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
Last edited by jdull99; 7/25/17 at 9:05 AM.

7/25/17, 11:05 AM   #24
2140rc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
....... Crowd was the smallest I have ever seen, and a lot of the regulars around me I have seen for years, finally threw in the towel and didn't come. My personal opinion is that the late start time has a lot to do with the decline in attendance,.....
The story on local talk radio was that IMS had only sold 19,000 tickets a few days before the race. You certainly no longer have to order your seats a year in advance. You can just show up on race day and purchase tickets in any grandstand.

As for the late start time neither IMS or NASCAR cares about the ticket buying fan at all. It's all about the television ratings. And the overnight ratings yesterday showed that the Brickyard viewership numbers went up from last years and weren't very far behind this years Indy 500. IMS reportedly gets something like $15M from the NASCAR television contract for the Brickyard race so fans aren't the main priority when it comes to starting a race late in the day.

3 members like this post: dirtball, JarrettFarms73, ronmil
7/25/17, 11:07 AM   #25
2140rc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
....... Crowd was the smallest I have ever seen, and a lot of the regulars around me I have seen for years, finally threw in the towel and didn't come. My personal opinion is that the late start time has a lot to do with the decline in attendance,.....
The story on local talk radio was that IMS had only sold 19,000 tickets a few days before the race. You certainly no longer have to order your seats a year in advance. You can just show up on race day and purchase tickets in any grandstand.

As for the late start time neither IMS or NASCAR cares about the ticket buying fan at all. It's all about the television ratings. And the overnight ratings yesterday showed that the Brickyard viewership numbers went up from last years race and weren't very far behind this years Indy 500. IMS reportedly gets something like $15M from the NASCAR television contract for the Brickyard race so fans aren't the main priority when it comes to starting a race late in the day.

7/25/17, 11:35 AM   #26
JarrettFarms73

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2140rc View Post

As for the late start time neither IMS or NASCAR cares about the ticket buying fan at all. It's all about the television ratings. And the overnight ratings yesterday showed that the Brickyard viewership numbers went up from last years and weren't very far behind this years Indy 500. IMS reportedly gets something like $15M from the NASCAR television contract for the Brickyard race so fans aren't the main priority when it comes to starting a race late in the day.
i listen to Query & Schultz (97.5/1260 Indpls) most days. Query is part of IMS radio and he quoted tv ratings as being in line and even slightly better than the CC600 at Daytona. Double that of some lower profile nascar events. So you're exactly correct. TV calling the shots to the tune of 15 million.

Personally, i'd love to see them move Xfin back to LORP and run the cup race saturday at 11 am giving fans a chance to checkout local tracks that evening.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, superstock30
7/25/17, 12:00 PM   #27
flagboy55

Ultimately do we even need a stock car race at IMS? It's like late models at Knoxville, who cares? Just because it's an iconic race track in one racing genre, doesn't make it great for any other. If you want to win at indy, than become an indy car racer. Winning the brickyard may be special, but it's NOT the Indy 500

7 members like this post: captrat, etripp, motorhead748, ronmil, Speedwrench, superstock30, tj39
7/25/17, 12:17 PM   #28
JarrettFarms73

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Ultimately do we even need a stock car race at IMS? It's like late models at Knoxville, who cares? Just because it's an iconic race track in one racing genre, doesn't make it great for any other. If you want to win at indy, than become an indy car racer. Winning the brickyard may be special, but it's NOT the Indy 500
i wonder if the lack of atmosphere will entice any drivers to push harder for a one off deal to run the 500?

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
7/25/17, 1:18 PM   #29
motorhead748

Bingo!! Just like trucks at eldora

2 members like this post: flagboy55, superstock30
7/25/17, 1:45 PM   #30
flagboy55

Motorhead, I agree with your point, but will say trucks at Eldora have better value than cup at IMS, at least the trucks have some crossover value to expose some to dirt, even if it pales in comparison to what we know as real dirt track racing

1 member likes this post: superstock30
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Brickyard 400