IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
loosewheel (Offline)
  #1 7/1/12 8:59 AM
Generator quite last weekend. Company doesn't respond to email or phone calls. Shame on me for buying online but all reviews were good and company said parts and service available. Can anyone refer me to someone who can work on this POS. Runs fine but don't produce power. Quarter midget team that races on a shoesting. Blood sweat tears.

Thanks for any help. See ya all sprint week

Scott McCune
McCune Motorsports 37
Jimmydiesel (Offline)
  #2 7/1/12 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by loosewheel:
Generator quite last weekend. Company doesn't respond to email or phone calls. Shame on me for buying online but all reviews were good and company said parts and service available. Can anyone refer me to someone who can work on this POS. Runs fine but don't produce power. Quarter midget team that races on a shoesting. Blood sweat tears.

Scott McCune
McCune Motorsports 37
Is there a fuse or circuit breaker?
batch56 (Offline)
  #3 7/1/12 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by loosewheel:

Scott McCune
McCune Motorsports 37
Scott, my guess and this is strictly a guess is that the wire coming off of the generator windings are broke.
c47 (Offline)
  #4 7/2/12 11:19 AM
first off....is is still covered under warranty? cause if you open it up and start playing inside, it will void it.
if you want to start looking, open up the panel where the outlets/fuses/breakers are to gain acess to the wiring.
make sure you have a GOOD voltmeter....none of this 2 wire neon "yeah, it lights up" crap.
make sure all the wires are seperated so nothing shots against each other and fire it up.
the wires that leave the actual generator section are what you want to test first.....either they will go to a main breaker/reset or get split and go to the different outlets. find out where they go and test them. if you have power, turn on the breakers/resets and test each one at the output side.
you want to be testing "hot" to "neutral" which SHOULD be black to white UNLESS it has a 240 volt output and a seperate neutral. then you test for 2 hots first, then hot to neutral on both of the hot legs.
if you have power at the input of any overcurrent device but nothing on the output, the generator is ok but the fuse/breaker/overload is toast.
if thats the case, get the brand and size of the device (better yet, turn the machine off and take it out) and hit up your local electrical supply house for a replacement. if you cant find power anywhere on the board, the generator part of the machine is shot. try to sell whats left on craigs list and use the money to get a honda.
loosewheel (Offline)
  #5 7/2/12 7:25 PM
Thanks for all the help. It give me a starting point.

Thanks again
Scott
McCune Motorsports 37
jkmeyer
  #6 7/2/12 10:55 PM
This is not a tool that should be opened or played with unless you know what the heck your doing very few "well that was close" moments happen when playing with electric..

If u do go putting your hands in that gen make sure you set up a good ground.
And then call someone who knows how not to fry... not being an ass here but get it wrong and it could and has turned ugly.

As Andy told aunt B just call the man.

Posted via Mobile Device
loosewheel (Offline)
  #7 7/3/12 6:07 AM
Thanks again for the help. Wish I knew who the "man" is ????
This is one of the issues, no one from Boliy is answer any of my email or phone calls to let me know who can work on this includes Bottomlinetrading where we brought the generator from I really don't care if they are a dealer but no one can get parts. Also would like to find someone in the Northern or Central part of IN to work on it I don't want to have to ship it to CA to be work on.

Thanks for the help
Scott
McCune Motorsports 37
c47 (Offline)
  #8 7/3/12 8:17 AM
if you "set up a good ground" you would be increasing your chances of getting zapped. grounding the unit would make it like playing the old game "operation" the idea is to open it up and just touch the prongs of the tester to the terminals......not your fingers!
and if you are not sure, or if you are nervous, take it to someone who isnt.
red70racer (Offline)
  #9 7/3/12 8:18 AM
Scott
Generators and welders are closely related, many parts are common ( resistors, condensers etc)
Almost all tool rental places have qualified technicians If you don't want to tackle yourself
As a former welder mechanic I can tell you 80 % of all repairs are simple broke wire as someone else mentioned
As long as the engine isn't running there is no threat of shock

Posted via Mobile Device
TQ29m (Offline)
  #10 7/3/12 9:41 AM
Looks like McAllister Equipment is a big repair operation for them, they have 7 locations in Indiana. Bob!

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!