IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Bradleyracing86 (Offline)
  #151 11/14/13 11:30 AM
What engine do you have?
To my understanding something that will be brought up at this meaning is the discussion of "exemptions" and older 1200s.. Many series allow these cars to run but make it where they would be better off with the stock 1000. We changed our rules to allow the tqs. Pretty much the only series to allow quick change rearends . To date I don't believe one tq has joined us.
DAD (Offline)
  #152 11/14/13 12:40 PM
Amen Bro Johnson

My apologies about the boat ancor thing but?

Allen and Bill started the MMSA and excluded the 1200cc motors because to get one to run with the 1000cc motors the racer had to spend at least one arm and a leg. They probably did not take into account the survivor motors that are still out there, and kinda of left you guys out in the cold. Those old motors were tuff when left stock but they turned into short fused hand granades when souped up.

Now we are looking for car count! I can remember back when we ran 600cc uprights, I called Jerry about running up at the 16th st Speedway with his 1200cc group, his reply was you guys would only get in the way. Now things are a little different and 600cc cars are welcome, Why not allow old Boat hardware to race without penalty until the racer has been hooked enough so that when the old motor blows up, and they will. The racer will then go out and buy a newer engine.

That is why we make rules, sometimes we screw up and mess over people when making rules, The more rules we make the better chance of this happening if that has been the case, rules are designed to be changed.

This post started out stating that the guys out west MALSA "Mid west Lightning Sprint Association" were going to try to re-draw their rules in such a manner as to make them a more acceptable template for a set of national rules that we could all adopt if we saw merit in them.

The day draws near when the interested parties will assemble. We as interested parties who probably won't be there need to make our needs and desires heard to these guys. This IOW post right now is the best way to do it. I'm sure they see me as a "pirate" So Be It. I doubt if any of our suggestions will meet muster or be included in there new rules, but at least we can cay we tried.

Up to date we have received 9000+ hits. This says this is a hot topic. Among us who race in this class of race car it is a "very hot topic". Those of you guys that have Ideas post them now, it is a very good time to do it.

Honest Dad himself
3 Likes: jjones752, PatrickMead#13, pjohnson
pjohnson (Offline)
  #153 11/14/13 1:33 PM
LOL Dad your forgiven about the boat anchor remark believe it or not we have had alot of fun with it in the shop. Andy you guys have change some to allow more cars. I still cant see a tg beating a mini maybe give a good race non wing though. I kinda would like to see a tq with a wing. I dont know how built my engine is the main thing is it 1100cc but it is old. I got it cheap it runs good and i dont want to thow it away. I really do understand the affordable thing but i believe it can never happen unless you put a cap on how much money people spend. people who want to live through thier kids will sell thier soul and the familes lol. Two of my kids grew up in racing one still does it. All have kids of thier own now and they plan to let them race but we do it as a family thing mainly in offroad. but when i bought this car we thought we would do a little oval racing. With my friend buying a car earlier this year and now buying more cars from Wayne we will be around this kind of racing for a bit. I believe racing is about how good a mechanic you are how good a driver you are but unforturnely that does cost money. Back in the old days of midget and sprint racing they tried all kinds of engines. I dont have an answer on cost right now i dont think anyone does.
2 Likes: DAD, jjones752
DAD (Offline)
  #154 11/14/13 2:01 PM
Bro Johnson

I don't know of anybody running at "Wonder Valley" that would know what kinda motor you was running unless you told them. I know for a fact that they don't have the tools to tec your motor even if they wanted to. And who would want to want raise Heck when running for $50.00 to win. It is pretty easy to be a Big Dog when you are racing against 4 or 5 cars.

Brownstown is just a few more miles up the road. It might be just a little tuffer to make the Main up there, but you will be racing against some pretty good people. Talk to Bill May. I don't have any qualms about racing with you and I bet 99% of the other racers would not say anything either. Just keep your mouth shut about your Engine's Prowers. I don't make it a habit about walking around and looking under other peoples hoods for illegal old motors, and I don't know of anybody that does.

Back in the old days of racing Midgets and Sprints they didn't know anything about cost. That was because they did not have any money to worry about. They raced with whatever they could get their hands on. I sure do miss them old Evenrude's and their popcorn smelling exhaust fumes.

Honest Dad himself
pjohnson (Offline)
  #155 11/14/13 4:28 PM
from everything we are all hearing Salem is dead at least to sprints. I had several people telling me that last sat. how true that is i dont know. The promoter told my friend he did not care about the sprints and that they would not be there next year. You cant build a class payng only 45.00 to win. But thats was what he paid several classes. We took the cars to what is supposed to become a new track Sat. They loved the cars but have a long way to go to have a track ready. They are working on it so we will see if it comes about. I just wont spend money to go to a race just to be scored last unless thats where we finish lol and we may there are some good cars out there (those darned high dollar teams). im looking forward to see where this all goes. Yes the old days were cool with all the different engines that were used.
DAD (Offline)
  #156 11/14/13 4:35 PM
Looking for investors to help me Buy "Charlestown Motor Speedway". Everything there is there and ready to go Racing just need a little cash. If the straights were cut down about 50 feet you would have one of the best 4 cylinder race tracks in the US of A.

Honest Dad himself
openwheel44 (Offline)
  #157 11/14/13 4:44 PM
Yes the time of the meeting is drawing near. Everyone involved appreciates any input, good or bad we get because believe me.....a lot of us are watching this thread. So now is the time to make your voices heard. I truly hope this is a productive meeting that ends up helping everyone in our class.
RickyBobby (Offline)
  #158 11/14/13 4:52 PM
I've seen the term "ecotec" thrown around multiple times now & I think it has become one of the biggest misconceptions. The ecotec engine is a great idea that was designed to be an affordable alternative for national midgets, not for lightning sprints. It was made to be cheaper and last longer than $25,000 midget engines & it has done an excellent job at that. That being said, if you compare and contrast the prices for some of the engine packages, I'm not seeing how it is supposed to be a cheaper form of racing than lightning sprints.

-1000cc engine kits: $1000-$2500 any given day on ebay and IOW.

- SET Racing Engines 2.4L ecotec w/o header: $6,495-$6,995 [source: http://www.setracingengines.com ]

- Revolution Racing Engines ST2 2.4L ecotec: $14,995 [source: http://www.midgetmadness.com/forums/...owtopic=22768]

I also take into consideration that a lightning sprint rear axle assembly is significantly cheaper than a complete midget driveline system. Don't forget you have to buy a 4 wheeler to get the ecotech started. Again I don't have anything against ecotecs, but I just wanted to clear that part up.

Andrew Funk #8
DAD (Offline)
  #159 11/14/13 5:38 PM
Originally Posted by RickyBobby:
I've seen the term "ecotec" thrown around multiple times now & I think it has become one of the biggest misconceptions. The ecotec engine is a great idea that was designed to be an affordable alternative for national midgets, not for lightning sprints. It was made to be cheaper and last longer than $25,000 midget engines & it has done an excellent job at that. That being said, if you compare and contrast the prices for some of the engine packages, I'm not seeing how it is supposed to be a cheaper form of racing than lightning sprints.

-1000cc engine kits: $1000-$2500 any given day on ebay and IOW.

- SET Racing Engines 2.4L ecotec w/o header: $6,495-$6,995 [source: http://www.setracingengines.com/engine-package.html]

- Revolution Racing Engines ST2 2.4L ecotec: $14,995 [source: http://www.midgetmadness.com/forums/...owtopic=22768]

I also take into consideration that a lightning sprint rear axle assembly is significantly cheaper than a complete midget driveline system. Don't forget you have to buy a 4 wheeler to get the ecotech started. Again I don't have anything against ecotecs, but I just wanted to clear that part up.
Rick

These have all been what if's. I know of several mini sprinters that probably have $10,000.00 in their engine package, some maybe a little more but most of us use the garden variety $2500.00 Ebay Motor. I was lucky enough to find 3 not so good Ebay motors this last race season.

There are a lot more midgets out there than mini sprints and a lot of quality pre tested midget parts are on the market, so while not as cheap new, the used parts may be another story. When you price the 2" axle, quick change hub, and very short lived sprockets the quick change might win out.

I'm just putting forth options we could take. The echotec and mini sprint are very close in terms of performance, and I think the Florida cars also use a clutch. Why not invite them to race with us?

Honest Dad himself
RickyBobby (Offline)
  #160 11/14/13 6:19 PM
I think the days of $10,000 lightning sprint engines are rapidly coming to an end, especially with this upcoming meeting. Keeping motors stock will be the golden ticket for lightning sprints. In IL, we went to an all stock engine rule in 2012 and it has really lowered the cost of a competitive car. Heck the guy that won the most races had a $400 engine that looked like it was held together with bubble gum and duct tape.

Andrew Funk #8