IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why not 2.4 midgets?
3/2/19, 2:26 PM   #1
Quantrill

Seems like a very affordable midget class. Badger midgets seem to have 20-30 if not more cars constantly. Car are producing about 300 hp from what I can tell. Motors are cheap and plentiful yet people seem to turn there nose up at this class? As I am going through the process of building one of these motors I will have less than 3k in my motor. This is not counting dry sump, intake or electronics. But a far cry from Esslingers, Toyota, Chevy and others. I realize they are not putting out the 375 to 400 HP but at a fraction of the cost why are there only pockets of these cars around the country?

D2s the same... great class but only pockets of them. Motor cost for D2s $500 to $1000 and around $500 to freshen up.

Both of these motors are very simple and with the most basically knowledge most racers can build and freshen up there own motors.

I know someone will point to the MWR motors and say look they are $16K for a D2 so where is the savings.... I agree but again if you feel like building one you can if you want to pay for one you can.

But can you build a esslinger, toyota or chevy midget motor yourself?

Is it lack of promoters or groups of racers willing to promote this class?
Last edited by Quantrill; 3/2/19 at 2:38 PM.

1 member likes this post: trannyman
3/2/19, 3:37 PM   #2
Griffittsmotorsports

It’s not so much of the racer as it is the promoter if more track in country would give the D2 class a chance they would really grow to massive counts but like all classes there are this who will put more money in there motors then need be and will spend thousands to win hundreds

3/2/19, 5:27 PM   #3
GickSpeed

Watch for a 4-cylinder Subaru powerplant to be a cost effective approach to what is ran in the National series. May not answer the question as it’s in the engineering stage now.
Last edited by GickSpeed; 3/2/19 at 7:33 PM.

3/2/19, 7:16 PM   #4
Re: Why not 2.4 midgets?
Ray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
Seems like a very affordable midget class. Badger midgets seem to have 20-30 if not more cars constantly. Car are producing about 300 hp from what I can tell. Motors are cheap and plentiful yet people seem to turn there nose up at this class? As I am going through the process of building one of these motors I will have less than 3k in my motor. This is not counting dry sump, intake or electronics. But a far cry from Esslingers, Toyota, Chevy and others. I realize they are not putting out the 375 to 400 HP but at a fraction of the cost why are there only pockets of these cars around the country?

D2s the same... great class but only pockets of them. Motor cost for D2s $500 to $1000 and around $500 to freshen up.

Both of these motors are very simple and with the most basically knowledge most racers can build and freshen up there own motors.

I know someone will point to the MWR motors and say look they are $16K for a D2 so where is the savings.... I agree but again if you feel like building one you can if you want to pay for one you can.

But can you build a esslinger, toyota or chevy midget motor yourself?

Is it lack of promoters or groups of racers willing to promote this class?

Badger is doing very well. Car count keeps increasing (24 average in 2018) and there is great parity between engine manufacturers. Races pay $1,000 to win and $100 to start. Badger engines are actually producing over 325hp and 235ft-lbs of torque (or more) and have finished in the top 10 at POWRI Midget events. This is at 146 CID which is far less than the 166-174 CID allowed with purpose built engines. At $16-20K you are still at half or just over half the cost of a new SR-11 or Esslinger BB7 and 1/3 the cost of a Toyota TRD Midget engine. That's new to new comparison which is the only real way to compare the two. The best part about the program is the time between rebuilds. Badger engines are going as much as 2 seasons between rebuilds and still leaking down at only 2-4%. This is mostly due to banning titanium valves. Since the valves are so small in DOHC engines you don't need ti valves. Your total overall investment over time will be far less in a Badger engine.

I'll let someone else speak for D2 but I will say its not my cup of tea.

3 members like this post: cornerthree, oppweld, sprintracer82
3/3/19, 6:10 PM   #5
cornerthree

Badger is spreading it's wings this year. They have 2 races in NE Wisconsin. And a few in Illinois,

3/3/19, 10:41 PM   #6
hairracer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GickSpeed View Post
Watch for a 4-cylinder Subaru powerplant to be a cost effective approach to what is ran in the National series. May not answer the question as it’s in the engineering stage now.
Tom Hooker had a Subaru powered Midget back in the 90's. I know it ran at the Indianapolis Speedrome and I think Eric Gordon ran it at IRP once. Don't know what happened.

3/4/19, 8:54 AM   #7
racer5c

Quote:
Tom Hooker at it again?

3/4/19, 11:35 AM   #8
Roy Bleckert

Quote:
With the execption of the Honda didn't USAC eliminate all other DOHC engines ???

http://www.usacracing.com/assets/fil...idget_dirt.pdf

3/4/19, 11:45 AM   #9
Roy Bleckert

Would be interesting if USAC/POWR I opened it up to any stock block DOHC 2.5 liter !!!

2 members like this post: DAD, jim goerge
3/4/19, 9:14 PM   #10
Quantrill

Badger also has a date for a race in Iowa this season if I am not mistaken. Wonder why usac doesn't allow DOHC motors as long as they fit in the CID rule?

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why not 2.4 midgets?