IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington
7/27/19, 9:58 PM   #21
Re: Bloomington
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
Yeah right what a joke. Time fast and starts in front of heat for no passing. Then run a dash for no passing. Then a freight train A main. Yeah right dude. Keep watching ur stop watch cause you won’t see action. WoO racing is like watching paint dry. Sorry for ur luck.

2 members like this post: chris jockish, tirespinner
7/27/19, 10:30 PM   #22
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
Yeah right what a joke. Time fast and starts in front of heat for no passing. Then run a dash for no passing. Then a freight train A main. Yeah right dude. Keep watching ur stop watch cause you won’t see action. WoO racing is like watching paint dry. Sorry for ur luck.
Take a deep breath Alice. I was (mostly) just posting that for some cheap heat, although I do think the Outlaws are a fantastic series that appeals to fans all over the country. Beauty is, of course, in the eye of the beholder. I figured with all that b*tching you were doing that you might have more of an open mind to something other than usac/non-wing.
Last edited by hoosier race fan; 7/27/19 at 10:47 PM.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
7/27/19, 10:43 PM   #23
flagboy55

Some harsh criticism but not all without merit. I personally believe Flo has been great and a steal for the money. It’s my opinion that if you’re having problems with it, it’s probably on your end. We have been using it regularly and have not had anything but a very minor glitch once in a while. I didn’t know that it’s standard purse for sprint week, but I will say without any real research that it’s also the standard ticket price as well. I would love to see the purse increased not on the top but in some way rewarding the commitments of the teams that make attempts to run them all. Is there a sprint week point fund? I don’t know but you sure would like to think it’s more tangible than a rocking chair. Anyway I’m glad we got it all in this sprint week, it’s been great! I want to thank the teams, tracks and yes USAC for giving us the best sprint car racing in the world

6 members like this post: cl124, DRFan87, Kydehart, opnwhlmnd, ryan84, tirespinner
7/27/19, 11:46 PM   #24
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
Take a deep breath Alice. I was (mostly) just posting that for some cheap heat, although I do think the Outlaws are a fantastic series that appeals to fans all over the country. Beauty is, of course, in the eye of the beholder. I figured with all that b*tching you were doing that you might have more of an open mind to something other than usac/non-wing.
Clearly you didn’t understand the first post about Pa speedweek and what I saw. I live where they race wings sans a startup 360 non wing series that is gaining traction around here. The subject was about how people criticize Usac and if it’s warranted. Didn’t see the humor in ur post sorry and since I only have wing racing where I live I believe my mind is subject to things other than Usac. Btw the WoO is attractive to areas all over the country due to its promotion. Another weak link of the leadership in Speedway for if they went around and promoted their sport worked at gaining a real title sponsor then these guys would get paid real money which was the whole point to start out with.

7/28/19, 12:28 PM   #25
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
Since you brought it up, would you agree that some of those bigger decisions that are as you say bashed, worth criticism? Flo is a disaster compared to what coverage USAC was given say just last year. I know you get what you pay for and that was a red flag right from the start. The gold crown series (remember that disaster) was a less than stellar decision. The severity of the Ballou decision will be a thorn in their side going forward. So yes they make blunders Brent. Get over it. They also somehow are still in charge of the best sprint car racing in the country. Hopefully they don’t mess it up. I’ll give you credit that you look thru rose colored glasses when judging this group, but I agree a bigger smarter vision might get these teams the money they deserve. Sadly there again was not one of these marquee Sprintweek events paying more than a normal purse. I’m unaware if the champ gets more than a rocking chair for busting their ass for 8 out of 10 days. If they do is it at least what a race purse is worth?? Sorry Brent if this is bashing but I live in Pa and the speedweek we had was 9 days with NO days off and only a couple of events paid 5gs. The rest were 7500,10g, or 12g to win. There was no sanction and the champ won 5gs for a title. No huge sponsor like NOS either. Lots of money paid in Speedway for salaries and still only this purse for the best sprint car racing in the country. Sorry if this is bashing but I feel the leadership could do better for these guys or maybe it’s time for new leadership. Enjoy the final nite of ISW as I’m green with envy that I live 800 miles away and can’t be there.
I was speaking of more recent events. Like all the bashing when USAC announced a $20,000 to win race at Knoxville, or there won't be enough cars at IMS. One reason PA pays more is the tracks have more seating. Its the same reason Eldora can pay $10,000 to win for USAC and WoO, and charge $29 bucks to get in.

1 member likes this post: PJ Wright
7/28/19, 12:39 PM   #26
yeleyfan76

I forgot how limited the seating was at Plymouth, Lawrenceburg, and Terre Haute. That’s my mistake.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/28/19, 5:32 PM   #27
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Never been to Plymouth, but I don’t consider the seating limited at Terre Haute and Lawrenceburg.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, tirespinner
7/28/19, 6:44 PM   #28
openwheelfan1

We only made the second half of ISW 19, but I thought the crowds at the 4 venues we attended were very good. The crowd at Terre Haute that was in the stands was one of the best we’ve seen in years, although the crowd in the infield appeared down a little. I thought the crowds at LPS, Bloomington and TSS were excellent, well above the normal attendance for a USAC sprint event. Just my thoughts.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/28/19, 7:10 PM   #29
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
Never been to Plymouth, but I don’t consider the seating limited at Terre Haute and Lawrenceburg.
Ron, I believe his post was sarcasm directed at Brent Funk.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, cmakin, flagboy55, ronmil, tirespinner
7/28/19, 7:19 PM   #30
openwheelfan1

There was a comment earlier about USAC “upping their game” with regard to the sprint series. Here are my thoughts:

The 2019 USAC AMSOIL National schedule is 45 races in 10 states. It goes to most states and/or areas that have tracks running non winged sprint cars, Oklahoma being the exception.

With regard to paying a larger purse, I personally would not be opposed to paying $5 more per ticket for an increased purse, but I know there are many that would not. And I readily admit, we only attend about 15 of the 45 races on the schedule, so the impact to me is a lot less than to someone that attends 30 or more National races/year. A few years back there was almost a riot on this site when it became known that ticket prices for most USAC races were going from $22 to $25 due to a purse increase. It is such a balancing act, and in truth, I’m not convinced that an increased purse, even if the money was put in the bottom half of the field would draw more cars or fans. I fully understand what an increased purse would do to help the race teams!

I love non wing racing, but in fairness, I also enjoy WoO racing. I would love to see USAC have a race like the Kings Royal with 20,000+ in attendance paying $175,000 to win! But the bottom line is non-wing Sprint cars are more niche/regional than winged racing. Non-winged racing is growing, but it is going to take time.
Last edited by openwheelfan1; 7/28/19 at 8:11 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington