IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indiana Sprint Heat
7/15/19, 4:04 PM   #11
Therealether

The first promoter to cancel due to heat I shall send a pink purse and forever will refer to them as Mary.

5 members like this post: leftturnonly, motorhead748, smitty3725, tirespinner, TNRustler
7/15/19, 4:24 PM   #12
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

We had temperatures over 110 degrees a few years ago and they ran. I remember going to a regular show at Bloomington and my car showed 112 at the intersection of 37 and 450.
I also remember them canceling when it was less than that. Every track canceled that weekend. Common sense needs to be the determining factor.

4 members like this post: oppweld, PJ Wright, racefan20, tirespinner
7/15/19, 5:53 PM   #13
Re: Indiana Sprint Heat
hoosier race fan

Adjust the start times to start at 8:30, use the power of social media to spread the word about the time change, and run the shows efficiently to be done by 11.

7/15/19, 6:15 PM   #14
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
Adjust the start times to start at 8:30, use the power of social media to spread the word about the time change, and run the shows efficiently to be done by 11.
Finally someone with a solution instead of laying out all of the problems. This is a perfect idea. Start later and save people from the heat of the direct sun and save the racetracks. It’s a double win. I read where someone was critical of USACs resolve to run races and cancel quickly. If memory serves that got the ire of the race directors up. This would be a perfect opportunity to show they can run efficiently and deal with these circumstances. Also must explain to the tracks that these huge crowds came for sprint cars, not support divisions. I read all of the time these are some of the biggest crowds they get. So maybe cut it to one division like Usac events used to be. It’s going to be hot that’s a fact. Hydrate like you are supposed too. My first time out for ISW was 1999 and everyday we had temps in the high 90s. Everybody raced and we moved on. 20 years later it’s the same all over again. It can be done.

7/15/19, 6:59 PM   #15
Rpracing1

Pleeese USAC ......

Two classes max at Sprint Week Shows!!!

7/15/19, 7:37 PM   #16
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
Pleeese USAC ......

Two classes max at Sprint Week Shows!!!
USAC doesn't schedule support classes the tracks do. I agree though. I think the people who have suggested starting later have the right idea. The only problem I see is with time zone we are in it doesn't start cooling off until after 10. As for me, I will go anyway. I would be working out in the heat anyway. Guarantee I will be more comfortable at the races. I am 56, diabetic and a stroke survivor, so I can definitely relate to all who have concerns. Remember the time to hydrate is before you go out in the heat. Then drink plenty to stay hydrated. This time of year I try to drink at least a gallon of water every night. Everybody have fun and stay safe.

7/15/19, 7:56 PM   #17
ThePurple73

Cooling towels really work. I use them mowing. Wet them, wring them out and wear them on your neck. Usually last a couple hours or so.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, ronmil, tirespinner
7/15/19, 8:12 PM   #18
Will Shunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple73 View Post
Cooling towels really work. I use them mowing. Wet them, wring them out and wear them on your neck. Usually last a couple hours or so.
I have the DPC "Soaker Hat" from JCPenney online. Use it for all hot day activities. Keeps me cool for 3-4 hours and I find a faucet to re-soak the hat to keep on cooling. Got mine online but they may be in stores, too. Be safe and let's go racing!

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/15/19, 8:15 PM   #19
racefan20

Would everyone be willing to pay $5 more at the gate to eliminate the support classes?

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

7/15/19, 8:20 PM   #20
hoosier race fan

Plymouth, Gas City, Kokomo, and Lawrenceburg all have just 1 support class this week. Not sure why there is discussion of any more than that. The classes scheduled would also make it easy to run a show from 8:30-11. None of them will draw that many cars but will provide time for the sprints to have a short break between their events.
Last edited by hoosier race fan; 7/15/19 at 8:21 PM.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, PJ Wright, progressive22, tirespinner, TQ97
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indiana Sprint Heat