IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > D2 Midgets with wings.
11/4/18, 3:56 PM   #1
D2 Midgets with wings?
hoscalecody

Since D2's run with lightning sprints non wing with a few series, why can't D2's put a wing on and race with lightning sprints? I would understand if a D2 went out with a wing and half tracked the whole field of mini sprints but, i'm not sure if it's ever been tested on dirt before in the US. If i remember correctly they allow 2.4l and even v6's in Austrailia to run with the lightning sprints. We've been running mini sprints since 2013 and considered going D2 but after thinking about it we decided not to because if say Montpelier cancels guess what you're not racing unless you go over to Illinois. Where in a mini sprint if Montpelier cancels you can either run with Waynesfield or MMSA if they haven't canceled. It would give D2 drivers more chance to race more, even though in my opinion winged racing sucks. I don't see why a track or series won't just allow testing just to find out if it will work or not. Last thing is it could help with car count. It may have been done before but with my research I haven't found anything. I've talked to a few other racers and they said they wouldn't have a problem with it as long as it was competitive where either or isn't way ahead but never could get an answer from a series.
Last edited by hoscalecody; 11/4/18 at 5:48 PM.

1 member likes this post: DAD
11/4/18, 6:26 PM   #2
btownracer

The biggest difference I see is the driveline cars will have less chassis bind. That will be a big handling advantage. But it would be interesting to see.

11/4/18, 9:05 PM   #3
Re: D2 Midgets with wings.
hoscalecody

If you mean by the chassis would be to stiff for the drive line cars, I don't know how big of a difference that really would be since people have converted midget chassis to be chain drive and done well with them. Main one is a XXX but I've seen some convert beasts, stealth and even 1 spike. I've considered it since I destroyed my car.

1 member likes this post: DAD
11/5/18, 5:27 PM   #4
dirtball

i like no wings!

3 members like this post: luckybuc97, TQ29m, trannyman
11/5/18, 6:45 PM   #5
John P Huss

Wings On Midgets Are
Absolutely Ridiculous!
Best Regards,
John

6 members like this post: dirtball, erich45, luckybuc97, Tom23, TQ29m, trannyman
11/5/18, 9:08 PM   #6
Quantrill

Have you reached out to the USAC Midwest thunder group? Montpelier seems to have a good thing going getting 30 or so midgets a night half being D2s. I believe that series is growing and if Montpelier said we are done then the D2s will have a place to race. Plus last year they had four combined IMRA and MWTM shows that were hugely successful.

1 member likes this post: hoscalecody
11/5/18, 9:20 PM   #7
hoscalecody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
Have you reached out to the USAC Midwest thunder group? Montpelier seems to have a good thing going getting 30 or so midgets a night half being D2s. I believe that series is growing and if Montpelier said we are done then the D2s will have a place to race. Plus last year they had four combined IMRA and MWTM shows that were hugely successful.
I meant to ask them what they thought in person in June, but my flip messed my memory up for that day. They're
the main reason I came up with the idea, because Waynesfield this year with winged racing got around 15-20 cars and Hewitt Classic had 34 cars which wasn't exactly a MWTM race but they came and supported like most Waynesfield NW races. I was planing on sending them a message here shortly just to get their opinion. I also understand most probably wouldn't go with this especially first year but it'd give D2 guys more options.
Last edited by hoscalecody; 11/5/18 at 9:30 PM.

11/6/18, 10:00 AM   #8
trannyman

Build ya a D2 and go racing!We had approx.19 races on our schedule this year.One of them in Ohio.Two in Illinois,counting this Dec.dequoin indoor race.The rest were all in Indiana.There are plenty of opportunities to race.If that's not enough,then can travel more to Illinois to add some races.No need in messing up something that is picking up momentum by trying to alter it to add wings.

3 members like this post: John P Huss, luckybuc97, oldfan49
11/7/18, 10:17 AM   #9
LJC77

Wings were made for airplanes not race cars.
At least on a sprint car they have the power to pull the tin foil through the air.
Watching a winged mini sprint race is like watching a pavement race. Not saying pavement racing is boring but if you are afraid to steer right to turn left why are you on dirt?
Putting a wing on a D2 car would be like holding both the brake and the throttle to the floor.
The only logical reason I could think someone would want tin foil on anything smaller than a V-8 would be 1 they want a security blanket for when they get upside down or 2 they dont have any throttle control talent.

11/7/18, 8:55 PM   #10
hoscalecody

LJC77 I very much agree after racing mini sprints since 2013 and watching them for multiple years before hand. In my opinion is winged mini sprint racing is one of the most boring races I've watched. I brought this up just to see people opinions and if it became a thing it'd give people more options to race if a race would cancel. 6 of 13 Montpelier midget races canceled this year. 7 Races ran including midget week plus the races ran at Gas City. Only other options of D2's besides Gas city is go to Illinois except the few races that were at Kokomo and the 1 race at Lincoln Park. Do I think anything from this will happen? Not at all just wanting opinions. I personally hate wing racing, but I have a race car and want to race so, I'm going to run with a wing if I have to, to avoid a 800 mile round trip to spoon river because Montpelier canceled . Do I plan on running to spoon river next year sure, actually had planned to go twice this year.
Last edited by hoscalecody; 11/7/18 at 8:59 PM.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > D2 Midgets with wings.