IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Let's talk about seat mounting
12/24/15, 6:10 PM   #1
Let's talk about seat mounting
kendirt

Working on moving the seat in my chain drive car today.

What's the minimum measurement that the helmet should be below the cage?

I have the seat as low as it can go. My head's 4 3/4" below the top of the cage. That seems ok until put a helmet on, then it's less than 2".

I say no cool.

12/24/15, 6:24 PM   #2
Re: Let's talk about seat mounting
dirtrack

Rule books that specify usually say 3" min, with your helmet on. I try to get mine to 4" or more. Feels a lot better to not look up and see the cage close to my head. Belts can stretch and objects can enter the cage.

1 member likes this post: CRA91
12/24/15, 6:58 PM   #3
on_the_edge

If you have room I have seen guys cut the seat bar out and put one that dips down which allows you to mount it lower. But with a chain drive car not sure how much room you have to work with and what the configuration looks like.

12/24/15, 10:28 PM   #4
cmiracingvids

Could always add a halo to the top of the roll cage. That should add another inch.

2 members like this post: bighd0522, PatrickMead#13
12/24/15, 11:28 PM   #5
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiracingvids View Post
Could always add a halo to the top of the roll cage. That should add another inch.
You mentioned a chain drive car, but did not mention if it was a 600 or Lightning Sprint. Both are small cars, (600 being much smaller), You need to think about getting in and out of the car. I would be very hesitant to put a halo on a small car. Definitely limits your options to get out of the car.

12/24/15, 11:32 PM   #6
CRA91

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiracingvids View Post
That isn't going to keep you from bouncing your head off of the side bars of the cage though.You need to be 3 to 4 inches lower than the side bars are not just that low at the A frame part of the cage.

1 member likes this post: bgbrd
12/24/15, 11:34 PM   #7
treecitytornado

I understand the halo's purpose, but that has always been my concern. Getting in and out of the car or what if you're knocked out and the track workers are trying to get you out?

12/24/15, 11:36 PM   #8
kendirt

Thanks guys.

I'm down as low as I can go for legroom. Actually would have to take the heal risers out of it as it is now.

Right now I'm thinking of either raising the cage or finding a different car.

Lesson learned...

12/25/15, 8:42 PM   #9
PatrickMead#13

Had the same issue with my car a few years ago. I moved the seat around and added a halo thanks to Johnny Murdock at ZERO Motorsports. I caught a bunch of grief for the halo because of getting me out of the car in the event I'm injured. I figured if I'm hurt, cut the cage off because at that point, my well being was more important than a chassis that could be replaced. My containment seat keeps me from hitting my head off the bars.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
12/25/15, 9:02 PM   #10
xoxide

Not going to solve your problem in whole but anybody building their car for 2016 should check into the SCI/kaeding seat mount kit. It's not cheap, however it is an extremely nice and safe piece that is leaps and bounds better and safer than the traditional washers or delrin spacers.

I picked one up last year and will never use anything else.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Let's talk about seat mounting