IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Alcohol conversion for a mini sprint
11/14/11, 6:31 PM   #1
Alcohol conversion for a mini sprint
Jrp4554

What does it cost to switch a stock gsxr1000 on gas over to alky? Who does this type of work and how involved is it? Thanks in advance
Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by Jrp4554; 11/14/11 at 6:32 PM.

11/14/11, 10:26 PM   #2
Re: Alcohol conversion for a mini sprint
McInturff Racing

As someone who is going through this process with my car right now I will see if I can give you the basics. This is my experience and there may be others who can do the work or cheaper parts, this is just what I have found. First off, your injection stack will need to be converted over. This involves changing out the injectors to ones that put out about double the fuel load of the gas injectors. In my opinion figuring out which ones are needed is best left to the pro's. The fuel rail is usually swapped out to allow for the extra fuel demand and generally converted over to AN fittings. If I remember correctly some builders also anodize some of the parts to help with the fact that alky corrodes aluminum rapidly. Hyper racing charges $1000 to convert your injection stack over. After this you are going to have to change air filter boxes to get enough flow to feed the engine. The cheapest filter I have found runs around $200-$250 with most running more than that. After this comes the plumbing. You will need to run all new fuel line, AN fittings to put it all together, at least 1 filter (most folks I know run 2), a high pressure fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator and gauge. Then throw in a power commander to change your air\fuel mixture. All said and done you are probably looking at around $2500-$3000 (give or take) to get yourself switched over if you buy all new. As far as who is doing the conversions the 3 that I found are Henchcraft, Guhl and Hyper. There are probably others, those are just the 3 I know of.

1 member likes this post: Jrp4554
11/14/11, 11:12 PM   #3
DAD

Is it a 4 or 8 injector motor? Do you want a non stock air filter or stock air filters? Do you already have a power comander? Do you already use an automotive flow thru type fuel pump? Do you have a fuel regulator? Do you have an aftermarket fuel filter? All of these things add up. If the answer to most of these questions is yes. AJ Felker and I can probably put a fuel rail, and 4 injectors with dyno time for around $800.00 to $1200.00

2 members like this post: Jrp4554, short track scott
11/15/11, 1:38 AM   #4
thebus79h

Don Guhl in PA is the man to talk to. He did a couple of the cars I drove and its a perfect setup, he condenses the harness to where its manageable, and with his quick click system, a moron could put it on the car, I should know, I've done it.

www.guhlmotors.com
Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: Jrp4554
11/18/11, 1:17 PM   #5
alex11

we just got a rossom injection it was about 3500

11/18/11, 9:51 PM   #6
leaglen

http://www.hyperracing.com/

11/19/11, 7:53 AM   #7
Quantrill

Alex u should have put it together yourself. Can be done much cheaper.
Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by Quantrill; 11/19/11 at 11:14 AM.

11/19/11, 12:46 PM   #8
DAD

Everything you ever wanted to know about methanol conversion but was afraid to ask: "we have the technology we can do it ourselves"

*******Bill aka DAD 502-778-6833 mon-Fri 8 am to 6pm*******

1 member likes this post: utex28
3/12/16, 9:12 PM   #9
RookieMove

I didn't want to start a new thread so i figured I'd ask here....

What is the point of doing a alky conversions on mini sprints?

3/12/16, 10:31 PM   #10
Bear10

Safer , more power, motors run cooler, makes motors last longer.

1 member likes this post: RookieMove
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Alcohol conversion for a mini sprint