IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint week- my thoughts
7/31/23, 5:08 PM   #1
Sprint week- my thoughts
kb78

As I said before, I bought a truck and camper for the express reason to follow Indiana sprintweek this year

I got to take in 9 races in 10 days starting at Winchester, it was everything I thought it could be and more.

People speak of the lore of Winchester and Terre Haute and it is real, but I believe each track on the trail presents it's own personality and history. None more important than any of the others.

I got in 2 new tracks this week. I had never been to Circle City and it had been 30 years since I had been to Bloomington. I left after the USAC feature Friday and beat feet over to Paragon in time for the features, so that was another new one for me. Haubstadt would have been another but for the storm.

I believe the 90/10 rule in like- 90% of the people you meet are great and it's the 10% that screws it up. In traditional sprint car racing I believe it jumps to 95/5, but I swear, the folks that camp at these events jump that number even higher. What a great bunch.

The fans at Haubstadt remind me of Posse fans in a way, they give off an arrogant sort of vibe that their track is just better than anything you have seen. Don't get me wrong, they are still nice and helpful and I had no issues, but the whole day made it feel like that is the only place that is adequate for the Sprintweek finale, just like Kokomo is the only place for Smackdown. It adds to the week.

It was a great week for a JG fan such as myself with three wins to celebrate on three very technical tracks.

Despite that, a deserving champion was crowned. Bacon Qualified well all week and was always going forward in the feature. Night in and night out I believe this is the team to beat right now.

I loved the big car counts at Gas City and Kokomo, but I also would not want to have to watch some of those guys at Lawrenceburg or Terre Haute, I think sometimes things work themselves out.

Life is about people, I met great people this week from Texas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, and Indiana. I never had to discuss ******** or religion or even had to defend the driver on my shirt like I would at a stock car race.Even the winged crowd is just different from the people I was surrounded by this week.

My daughter was with me through Circle City, she is a bigger racing fan now than she was to begin the week but she has other things she does. I will always be thankful for the time that we spent together in this setting. Well worth any extra ticket or shirt money I'll tell you that for free.

After she went home I spent the rest of my free time mostly reading and gathering my thoughts, somewhere in Putnamville I found my Waldon woods. I guess I needed this vacation more than I thought.

My wife couldn't go with me this year which was good in some ways, but by the end of the week I missed her and was ready to come home. I guess I needed this vacation more than I thought.

Like I said, I hit 9 races in 10 days. Drive to the track, set up camp, relax for a while, get your ticket/seat, grill dinner, watch a race, go to sleep, get packed up, repeat over and over. I was exhausted when I got home yesterday, so...

I have so much respect for the race teams, drivers and families, USAC officials, FLO racing crew, and anyone else that had to do the same as I did and put in a full days work in the heat on top of all of that.

Thanks to all who made this such a great trip for me.

8/3/23, 5:08 AM   #2
Re: Sprint week- my thoughts
jdull99

BADAZ you made it two tracks in one night! Thats the way to do it! (I did that a couple times in my race chasing days...tried it once with the midget even...)

Do they charge for camping?
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

2 members like this post: nathans1012, tirespinner
8/3/23, 7:11 AM   #3
Re: Sprint week- my thoughts
kb78

The only track that charged me for camping was Circle City, it was $50 for the night but I had electric and water. I had heard that Terre Haute charges for camping but I did not stay there, I went to Lincoln Park on Tuesday and spent my off day there and then just drove the truck over and back to THAT. And yes, I also did two tracks in one night as a kid but not since, I was pretty proud of myself.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint week- my thoughts