IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > PT-19 Ranger question
9/20/18, 11:31 AM   #1
PT-19 Ranger question
TQ29m

I have looked till I'm lost, I have an engine, a 6-440-c aircraft engine, and am ready to start building a car for it, most of the later ones were Indy Roadster style, lay down engine and all, my plan is to "re-create" one soon. My big problem as I look forward, is how those old guys hooked the prop shaft to an in and out box, or more hopefully, a transmission, it is a huge spline item, 2 3/8" in diameter, not something you see every day, this is my 4th engine, I let the other three slip away when they were racing them heavily, now this one is here to stay. You can Google "Racing the PT-19" and get some good info, some pic's, and even some video's of them racing, but no one spills anything on the "connection". H.A.M.B has some stuff, but not what I need, thought I'd just throw it out there for hopefully someone familiar with Dizz Wilson and all the Rangers he raced, might have been close enough to see how it was done, I'll eventually figure it out, just my head hurts from thinking about it already. You can see my inspiration at "Golden Wheels Auto Racing Pathfinders" The Lone Ranger! Thanks! Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 9/20/18 at 12:13 PM.

9/20/18, 12:17 PM   #2
Re: PT-19 Ranger question
RedRacer07

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/pt-1...ed-sprint-car/
Have you tried contacting anyone related to this article?

9/20/18, 12:41 PM   #3
TQ29m

No, but I may have found the answer on the Golden Wheels site, plus I just happen to have the torque ball and housing left over from spares, so I'll need to make the extension, plus I think I'll put the flywheel and starter on that end also, I just got the aluminium for that part yesterday. I'll ck it out.thanks

1 member likes this post: RedRacer07
9/20/18, 2:18 PM   #4
TQ29m

In the story from HR mag, it mentions that someone had bought 6-7 trainers just for the engines, I have it from a good reliable source that Dizz Wilson heard how cheap the engines were selling for, he went to Ft Hood, in his 1940ford, and bought 5, 5 would get you the 6th one free, he brought 2 home with him, and shipped the rest by train, at one time, he had 3 in his stable, and the numbers were all 3 numbers. Ain't racing history full of surprises, guess that's what turns my screws!

9/20/18, 4:32 PM   #5
Speedwrench

Years ago I seem to remember a magazine article about a guy in Florida who put a Ranger powered car together.

You might see what you can dig up on the Zephyrhills vintage club to possibly get a name.

9/20/18, 7:19 PM   #6
TQ29m

I think I ran across that one the other day, there has to be more out there, they were very cheap horsepower in those days, the one I've been most interested in so far, is on that Golden Wheels website, complete with some other vintage race cars on pavement somewhere, really going at it, for vintage racing I thought, but what good is it, if you can't play rough once in a while, the guy driving was 75, musta had the seat full of money, but he was havin fun!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > PT-19 Ranger question