IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > McDonalds steals Famous Hamburger?
2/17/13, 12:51 PM   #1
McDonalds steals Famous Hamburger?
DAD

On the way home last night I stopped by McDonald's for a quick snack, before supper. I ordered one of their new Onion Swiss Burgers.

One bite out of that thing and I was transported to the backside of the Old Salem Speedway grandstands before the storm came through back in the 70's.

Best I can remember the Salem Volunteer Fire Department used to set up a big old steel plate for a grill just at the bottom of the center stairs going up into the grand stands. They would cover that old slab of steel with onions and throw the hamburgers on top of the onions and make some of the best hamburgers that I have ever eaten. I guess It wasn't too sanitary but the combination of burnt onions, just the right amount grease, ground beef and a little tire dust mixed in for flavor served on a slightly soggy bun from the grease made one of the best burgers ever cooked in the old US of A.

I sure have missed these burgers, guess they wouldn't work well at the new Sanitary Salem.

If any of you guys know the burgers I'm talking about stop by MickeyDees and try one out, you will be surprised.

If you are old enough to remember them>>> only do one!! they play hell on your digestive system.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 2/17/13 at 12:59 PM.

2/17/13, 8:11 PM   #2
Re: McDonalds steals Famous Hamburger?
speed bump

Buy two of them...throw away one bun and put the meat & all onions on one sandwich.....really Great

1 member likes this post: Shawn
2/17/13, 8:29 PM   #3
Joe Kidd
Banned

White Castle on steroids.

2/17/13, 10:12 PM   #4
HurstBros0

Those would have been " Fire Burgers"... They also sold them at the fair and other events in the county...

2 members like this post: DAD, RICHCRAFT.SPL
2/18/13, 12:13 AM   #5
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
On the way home last night I stopped by McDonald's for a quick snack, before supper. I ordered one of their new Onion Swiss Burgers.

If any of you guys know the burgers I'm talking about stop by MickeyDees and try one out, you will be surprised.

If you are old enough to remember them>>> only do one!! they play hell on your digestive system.

Honest Dad himself
Those are particularly NASTY McD's burgers. Had one and was sick for two days. That was the first time I had been at McD's in years also. Never again....Puke burger......

3 members like this post: DAD, I Miss Manzy, Mud Packer
2/18/13, 12:34 AM   #6
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
Those are particularly NASTY McD's burgers. Had one and was sick for two days. That was the first time I had been at McD's in years also. Never again....Puke burger......

Like I said they weren't for everybody, but it was almost impossible to walk by them things sizzling on that old grill and not buy at least one. The lines were awfully long too, that was back when people had to park for miles down the road to see a race there.because the parking lot filed up early on race day.

I still do OK on one but I don't think two would work too good. I guess years of race track food has developed some immunity in me. The McD burgers could use just a little rubber dust to help bring out that onions flavor.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 2/18/13 at 12:36 AM.

2/18/13, 2:08 AM   #7
Danny Burton

I'll take any race track cheeseburger over any fast food cheeseburger any day.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

5 members like this post: Bill Gardner, DAD, I Miss Manzy, Mud Packer, speed bump
2/18/13, 6:50 AM   #8
fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
The lines were awfully long too ...

Honest Dad himself
Yep, another idea McD's stole.

1 member likes this post: DAD
2/18/13, 7:59 AM   #9
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Burton View Post
I'll take any race track cheeseburger over any fast food cheeseburger any day.
Right now I'd take just any old race track, foor or not. If you got a strong stomach try one of them McD's "Fire Burgers". Too bad they don't make them for breakfast.

Honest Dad himself

2/18/13, 9:36 AM   #10
dirt330

Before long "DAD" will be doing for McDonalds what Jarad does for Subway. They are good burgers. Just throw a little dirt or rubber on them close you eyes and think of your favorite track.

1 member likes this post: DAD
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > McDonalds steals Famous Hamburger?