IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Jerry Shaw (Offline)
  #11 7/11/19 8:43 PM
Originally Posted by Jonr:
Some of the historians will need to help me, but during the 2008 Indiana Midget week an event was cancelled for safety concerns once the drivers/fans arrived at the track. It has a similar feel to this event. I remember that it was a big topic on this forum (and the reason that I found this forum)

It brought up the concept of how much pre-work does USAC do before they will sanction a race. Does an official have to inspect the track before being placed on the schedule for the first time? If they are inspected before the race is scheduled, how can they then be cancelled on the day of the show. As there was last time, there are a lot of rumors about which drivers complained and which drivers said they wouldn't race. It seems that if the track is vetted properly that this would never happen.
Union County Speedway in Liberty, IN. That was a crazy scene that day, in the aftermath of the decision to cancel.

A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.

Winston Churchill
5 Likes: jdull99, Jim Gardner, Jonr, sjracer26, tirespinner
Vertigo (Offline)
  #12 7/11/19 8:49 PM
Some of the historians will need to help me, but during the 2008 Indiana Midget week an event was cancelled for safety concerns once the drivers/fans arrived at the track. It has a similar feel to this event. I remember that it was a big topic on this forum (and the reason that I found this forum)

It brought up the concept of how much pre-work does USAC do before they will sanction a race. Does an official have to inspect the track before being placed on the schedule for the first time? If they are inspected before the race is scheduled, how can they then be cancelled on the day of the show. As there was last time, there are a lot of rumors about which drivers complained and which drivers said they wouldn't race. It seems that if the track is vetted properly that this would never happen.

Union County Speedway. Rebar sticking up from the retaining wall I think.
3 Likes: Jonr, sjracer26, tirespinner
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #13 7/11/19 9:00 PM
Not sure I’ve done this correctly but a pretty reliable source posted this picture as a safety concern
3 Likes: bmemmer, chrismattlin, tirespinner
Chief Wahoo (Offline)
  #14 7/11/19 9:23 PM
Originally Posted by flagboy55:
Not sure I’ve done this correctly but a pretty reliable source posted this picture as a safety concern
Did they not see this safety concern yesterday?

Eat dirt, be happy
Let’s go Brandon!!
Bryan Hirshman
5 Likes: Bill Angel, billw, jdull99, PIT CART, tirespinner
Kansasdirtfan (Offline)
  #15 7/11/19 9:31 PM
I agree with you, Jonr. One would think USAC had to have inspected the track and facilities BEFORE it was ever placed on the schedule. I'm sure we'll never hear the full story, but it does leave a bad taste, especially for those who travelled some distance to attend.

Bob Nikkel
8 Likes: billw, chrismattlin, Hotrod, huskermudd, ISF, rachasin, skids59, tirespinner
Jonr (Offline)
  #16 7/11/19 9:41 PM
OK that is pretty significant, but once again couldn't that get vetted before the track is put on the schedule.
3 Likes: chrismattlin, Kansasdirtfan, tirespinner
KMS2683 (Offline)
  #17 7/11/19 9:41 PM
So the race got switched from Beloit to Concordia a couple months ago. Hours before race time, safety concerns cancel the show. Completely and entirely the fault of the sanction body for not doing due diligence. My understanding is USAC even required the track to install a timing loop. Guess should have had Keith check out the track before today!!!!!!
5 Likes: billw, Hotrod, jdull99, Joekocjan, tirespinner
Jonr (Offline)
  #18 7/11/19 9:43 PM
Originally Posted by ossuks:
Think if I was in the area I might head towards Power I events ?
You mean the group that took their ball home and started their own race on Sunday?
2 Likes: luckybuc97, tirespinner
KMS2683 (Offline)
  #19 7/11/19 9:46 PM
Funny, since on tuesday night people were ******** about no catch fences.
2 Likes: jdull99, tirespinner
nonwingkingofkalifornia (Offline)
  #20 7/11/19 9:48 PM
So the power line is to low??? Oops, no one wants to get impaled on those horizontal spikes sticking out. Who designed that catch fence?