IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gloves
8/27/13, 9:45 PM   #1
Gloves
Bad Dad 54

Dave Argabright had this video on Facebook, take a close look at your safety equipment gang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOHsW...ient=mv-google

Now what shape are your gloves in guys? Do even wear them, stupid not to, my friend had 13 operations on his hands after getting them burned & he had good gloves. Is there leather palm w/ fireproof material under the leather?? Take a close look at your safety equipment gang. This how I feel when talking w/ drivers about safety >

4 members like this post: jim goerge, racegal, welder
8/27/13, 11:15 PM   #2
Re: Gloves
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Track safety crews should look at this too. No one in sight with a fire bottle and not a one in anything other than jeans and tee shirts.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, KRJoyce1
8/27/13, 11:21 PM   #3
KRJoyce1

PLUS, Race Track owners need to take a look at what their Safety and Response Team wear to help the drivers. The guys in this video are wearing T-shirts and jeans as they stand in the fuel spilling from the car........ The tracks that DO have the response team in Nomex are very few..... Hopefully this video will help some track owners think more about this issue in prepperation for the 2014 Season.

1 member likes this post: Tony74
8/28/13, 5:28 PM   #4
Bad Dad 54

Years ago SOD had a safety crew that followed the series where ever they went except Canada, these people were very good at accidents & such. If there was a fire I didn't see it, very dedicated people, Dustin Dagget's dad Mike worked w/ them quite often at the track, miss those guys. There is a track that has extinguishers in the push trucks said that'll work heard they don't have an ambulance on site either. Wanna talk about negligence on that one, sick of these so called promoters, gate keepers more like it

8/28/13, 5:50 PM   #5
chop

About 1/2 way in the video, look at the roof that is bent over on the left side of the screen. You see gas flowing from the back of the car. This would tell me that he did not have a check valve on the top of his fuel cell. The gas that leaked out of the front-carb was not that much. What got the thing burning good, was the gas coming from the back of the car.

8/29/13, 11:46 AM   #6
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop View Post
About 1/2 way in the video, look at the roof that is bent over on the left side of the screen. You see gas flowing from the back of the car. This would tell me that he did not have a check valve on the top of his fuel cell. The gas that leaked out of the front-carb was not that much. What got the thing burning good, was the gas coming from the back of the car.
I don't think check valves work to good on their sides.

Mental note "work on that".

A hose running from the check valve back down to the bottom of the tank could have probably helped some.

Honest dad himself

8/29/13, 3:51 PM   #7
Mudslinger

PTS....Professional Track Services was a group that worked SOD and tracks all over the midwest in the & 70s and 80s. They furnished fire and rescue as well and track prep and any thing from tech support to acually helping move the show along for the promoter. Many drivers have been helped out of harms way buy this group of dedicated and trained individuals. It's to bad this group does not exist any more. Perhaps someone might be interested in starting this type of service again. If so give me a pm

3 members like this post: KRJoyce1, mod4s, speed bump
8/29/13, 9:16 PM   #8
sprntr

The IRA winged sprint series has the best Safety Crew that I have seen. USAC & the WoO could learn alot from them.

steiny

8/30/13, 11:45 AM   #9
KRJoyce1

PTS also worked at Baer Field Speedway in the 80's when I was racing up there. I believe the late Duane Dimitt (sp) from Ft. Wayne owned and ran this group. Was a great group to have for sure. Luckily I only got to visit with them once on track...

1 member likes this post: speed bump
8/30/13, 1:36 PM   #10
speed bump

Duane Dimit is still here in Ft. Wayne..I worked for P.T.S. from 1977-1983....We done all sorts of tracks ..from 1/4 dirt to the mile at DuQuoin and NASCAR at Bristol...and all kinds in between ....I wouldn't trade those years for anything....

1 member likes this post: KRJoyce1
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gloves