IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 71P/Dave Darland Team at Risk!
7/23/13, 7:52 AM   #31
wannaracebad

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3521 View Post
What country do we live in? Russia?
Who came up with these laws?
Maybe the gov't you're dealing with needs a class action lawsuit against their "stupid" laws.
I would move as fast as I could from there! just sayin...That's why I like
living in the country with very few neighbors to be in my business.

Posted via Mobile Device
Won't b long and we will b comparable. Good luck fighting a gov that's foundation has been corrupted.

Posted via Mobile Device

7/23/13, 9:48 AM   #32
Phylo82

If you have an HOA you're pretty much screwed....

My buddy lived in a neighborhood with an HOA. He had a dog and wanted to build a nice split rail fence. After the lumber arrived he received a call telling him not to built it or they would take him to court to have it removed. He contacted his lawyer who advised him to return the fencing lumber, which he did. Crazy thing is his neighbor had a split rail fence because he had a pool.....fence for pool = OK, fence for dog not OK. It's all about what's in the HOA..

From my experience you have three options, work things out with the guy next door (which will be much harder now after posting this thread), move or find another place to work on your car.

By the way, this is coming from someone who has a sprint car and works on it in his garage in clear violation of my HOA....luckily I have great neighbors who don't care and even help me out when I need it.

Posted via Mobile Device
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt
Last edited by Phylo82; 7/23/13 at 9:54 AM.

7/23/13, 12:29 PM   #33
Re: 71P/Dave Darland Team at Risk!
KENDALLRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
Before I begin, I would like to state that I am a true sprint car fan, and have been for the better part of my 53 years. I also know there are two sides to every argument. Sometimes three.

Now I am going to address the elephant in the room:

You are breaking the law. You are posting the law here in front of us and you are trying to find justification for doing what you are doing. Neighborhoods have laws and ordinances governing actions, noise, and blight.

To resolve your issues with your neighbor you are going to have to do one of three things:

1) Talk it over with him and convince him that it is okay what you do, and it will not affect him, his family, or his property values. Give him a few DD t-shirts. Free tickets to Kokomo. Sponsor his kid's soccer team. If you can get his buy in, all will be well until the next neighbor wants the local laws enforced.

2) Take it up with your elected officials and get the laws & ordinances changed. This will be quite an effort and could be quite costly - both monetarily and time wise..

3) Abide by the laws.

I have had some EXTREMELY bad neighbors that I have had to call the local authorities on to enforce the law in my time. Every neighbor has his tipping point, and once that point is reached, something is going to have to happen. Trust me, when mine has been reached, I show no mercy. I can bend quite far, but I will not break.

I am not saying I am opposed to this thread, but speaking from experience, and playing the Devil's Advocate here, if you do not abide by the local ordinances, and if your neighbors (a.k.a. the lynch mob) keeps pushing the issue, you will not win.

99% of the people out there know not what a sprint car is or care. If they did, our forum would be very big. The law does not care about your team, either. They have to enforce what it written in stone.

Good luck with your battle. And no, I do not live on your street.
EVERY CITIZEN HAS THE RIGHT TO KEEP THEIR PROPERTY AT HOME. I SUPPORT DARLANDS TEAM 100%.
I have spent all morning on this going from one department to another ( AND "NO" the Mayor does "NOT" take calls ) WHAT A GREAT JOB. The progress I made was well worth while. I have now filed a formal complaint so lets see if they really care about citizens. " WATCH THIS SPACE " Lyndon Kendall.
Last edited by KENDALLRACING; 7/23/13 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Left a vital sentence out

7/23/13, 1:06 PM   #34
Jonr

Been on both sides of this issue. When I had my race car(street stock), I was doing some motor work when the cops came by to tell me I was done working on the car for the day.

I have since moved to a new city and live in a HOA community. (most communities in this area have HOA's) I am amazed on what a good job they do of keeping the neighborhood looking nice and keeping the property values up. If I were to get back into racing it would be very difficult to do in my neighborhood.

As someone else has stated, there probably is no going back. If the neighbor has reached its breaking point, there is nothing you can do to resolve the issue. Sort of the same thing with the people who complain about the track noise. Once they start thier complaints, the only answer in their mind is to close the track.

7/23/13, 1:23 PM   #35
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post

I have since moved to a new city and live in a HOA community. (most communities in this area have HOA's) I am amazed on what a good job they do of keeping the neighborhood looking nice and keeping the property values up.
If I can't use my property the way I want (plant a garden, build a fence, raise a couple of chickens, have a race car,whatever) then it HAS no value.
When we have been in the market for real estate, the FIRST thing I've told the buyer's agent is this: "I don't care if a property has every feature we want, if it is in a HOA community, do not waste our time by showing it to us."
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

2 members like this post: team3521, tim brown
7/23/13, 4:36 PM   #36
Phylo82

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENDALLRACING View Post
EVERY CITIZEN HAS THE RIGHT TO KEEP THEIR PROPERTY AT HOME. I SUPPORT DARLANDS TEAM 100%.
I have spent all morning on this going from one department to another ( AND "NO" the Mayor does "NOT" take calls ) WHAT A GREAT JOB. The progress I made was well worth while. I have now filed a formal complaint so lets see if they really care about citizens. " WATCH THIS SPACE " Lyndon Kendall.
Actually, no....you don't. There are various neighborhood restrictions that regulate what you can and can't keep at your house, as well as zoning laws that determine what you can and can't do at your own home.

Years ago I had my pop-up camper and a small trailer in my driveway.....just happened to have them there at the same time over a weekend. I received a warning from Hamilton county telling me the next time I'd get a citation.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's any big deal to have a trailer parked in your driveway when you are loading or unloading (we do it all the time). But, what if you had a neighbor who was running a construction business from his home and his driveway and your street were loaded with dump trucks and trailers? Or a neighbor who had garage sales every weekend. That's what the laws are for.

Hate to be a Debbie-downer, but if there's an HOA in place the law is on the side of the crabby neighbor.

Posted via Mobile Device
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt

7/23/13, 7:23 PM   #37
SCOTT M

Mayor's action line, code enforcement?? Is this a city ordinance issue or HOA? If HOA, is it something you signed before moving in there? You may have an argument, if it's a city ordinance. Man, I'm with ya, but, I'm wonderin.
Last edited by SCOTT M; 7/23/13 at 7:42 PM.

7/23/13, 10:07 PM   #38
grumpy racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT M View Post
Mayor's action line, code enforcement?? Is this a city ordinance issue or HOA? If HOA, is it something you signed before moving in there? You may have an argument, if it's a city ordinance. Man, I'm with ya, but, I'm wonderin.
This is a city code enforcement not the hoa. Carla was on the hoa for 8years, big mistake when she left. The hoa actually states only that you can not store an rv on lot. This is from the Mayors action line per our neighbor's complaint. We went in an looked at the ordinance page and there is no ordinance even about race cars or working on race cars in the book. I have a neighbor in the next culdesac who runs his construction business out of his house and on many weekends has a construction trailer,his bass boat, and ski boat all in the culdesac. This is a case of selective enforcment by the city. We looked around the 4 block area here and found 25 violations when I brought this to the officers attention he said, and I quote, [I dont care about anyone else this is about your violations] . I am trying not to drop others in the **** but I may have to. We are looking to move but it takes time to find a house, qualify, close and let alone move everything especially during racing season. We are trying not to park the car and leave Dave without a ride. I hope this answers some of your quotes on here. We did contact Mr. Helmling and are waiting to hear back on what can be done until the end of the year.

7/23/13, 10:35 PM   #39
Dez1013

Hope this all gets worked out. Complete BS that you can't use your own home as you see fit.

7/24/13, 12:23 AM   #40
lazyifoto

I believe the real issue here maybe that they see it as a business . If you prove its a hobby and not a business in the neighborhood they may back off. But you probably have a neighbor that thinks you live in the stone age because you play racecars .

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 71P/Dave Darland Team at Risk!