Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IndyCar's Future
12/18/23, 8:37 PM   #31
Re: IndyCar's Future
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget98 View Post
Innovation and technology are great, when they solve a problem. The automobile displaced the horse and buggy because it was a vastly superior mode of transportation. The current EV push is something entirely different from that. It's much more a latteral move being pushed by a political agenda. If you can't see that, there's not much point in any further discussion.
I don’t see EV as being a lateral move . Anybody wants one, it’s your Choice, but don’t try to flush it down my throat! Freedom of choice, not dictated. If and when racing goes electric, I hope I’m not around to witness it.

5 members like this post: cowboyhar69, jdull99, luckybuc97, PIT CART, TQ29m
12/18/23, 8:43 PM   #32
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
Specifically what political agenda? Would the same apply to the political agenda of the fossil fuel industry?

People ain't going to sit there for 33 cars that sound lie RC cars..

It'd be like going to a Top fuel drag race and not feeling or hearing any of it, Instead of feeling like you went 15 rounds with Tyson from the power and vibration these things put out.

Im not anti EV. But banning it or mandating its replacement is purely political.. I happen to believe the future is some sort of Hydrogen/electric or Hydrogen internal combustion both which are now reality. Just technology and cost have to catch up.

12/18/23, 9:42 PM   #33
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
People ain't going to sit there for 33 cars that sound lie RC cars..

It'd be like going to a Top fuel drag race and not feeling or hearing any of it, Instead of feeling like you went 15 rounds with Tyson from the power and vibration these things put out.

Im not anti EV. But banning it or mandating its replacement is purely political.. I happen to believe the future is some sort of Hydrogen/electric or Hydrogen internal combustion both which are now reality. Just technology and cost have to catch up.
If racing is to survive it will finally realize it is in the sports entertainment industry. There will always be fossil fuel uses which hopefully will include engines specific to racing. The fans will drive to the track in EV or hybrids to enjoy the unique sound of the internal combustion engine, but the writing is on the wall for the daily user of the our beloved internal combustion machines. Racing will survive but only if we change the paradigm. Just look at the growth of the Prius and Tesla. Follow the money to the long time plans of auto makers.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, Jonr
12/18/23, 9:51 PM   #34
Jonr

If you follow the press releases for GM, it is obvious where they are going. They have stated a vision of being all electric by 2035. Will they make their target or will they have to delay is yet to be seen. However, there is no doubt that the money that GM is investing into the future of the company is for an all-electric future.

BTW, GM will be discontinuing the ICE Camaro at the end of the month.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
12/18/23, 10:11 PM   #35
jdull99

What about the press (it's on many sources, not just the most watched cable news network) that almost 4,000 dealers wrote a letter, that the EVs weren't selling?

I used to figure the only reason the OEMs were all into this change would be to sell another version of their product; but it appears the consumers aren't jumping into these...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

2 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, Dale
12/18/23, 10:40 PM   #36
racefan20

Actually I saw a race between "electric" cars. It was from IRP and it was a competition between 4 colleges to create battery powered cars. Pretty sure it was on TV as a support class to one of the USAC classes. It was very strange to hear only the squealing of tires but no motor sound. Anyone else remember this, it was probably late 90's

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

3 members like this post: Grocery Guy, itsanonwingthing, Stevensville Mike
12/18/23, 11:28 PM   #37
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Actually I saw a race between "electric" cars. It was from IRP and it was a competition between 4 colleges to create battery powered cars. Pretty sure it was on TV as a support class to one of the USAC classes. It was very strange to hear only the squealing of tires but no motor sound. Anyone else remember this, it was probably late 90's
Saw the same at Winchester after a Hooters Pro Cup race about that era. Your description of the sounds/lack of sounds is spot on. I think there were eight of them. They had live pit stops about half way through a 30 lapper to change out the batteries. All colleges.

1 member likes this post: racefan20
12/19/23, 3:15 AM   #38
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
I'm pretty certain the very 1st NBT500 I attended in 1994, offered this. We were walking in as that event occurred and I, as a 13 year-old, couldn't understand what benefit there is to using the sources of energy (in many states, coal reigns far supreme) it takes to charge a battery that is produced mining minerals out of the earth in various manners (including most likely, without OSHA controls, as well as child and slave labor); and then disposing of those same batteries in a relatively short time; and I was unable to fathom what interest this source of powerplant in a race car, would attract in any prestigious race that mattered; so I only paid so much attention. Interestingly, 29years later, I have yet to evolve on those thoughts...

Now, everyone should know, there IS at least one rear-engine open wheel class; that was developed to model this exact form of MOTOR racing; and they have done kinda well...they started off where the batteries wouldn't last the entire race, so they switched cars mid-way. It's come a long ways and they have OEM and plenty of teams and good drivers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_E (PS - I think I read somewhere - NOT on the most watched cable news network - that they sneak in fuel powered generators to charge the batteries, but I digress...)

But anyways, I would hope if they can't get OEM support and the technicalities shored up to introduce the hybrid; I sure hope they go with the spec fossil fuel format for the Indycar series - it really has done well lately; in regards to parity, close racing, and good car counts (I'm talking at the races other than the 500...which, unless they go to front engine silver crowns) I see no way will ever return to 50+ entries...there are just too many other ways to be "famous" (including Formula-E...) than just making the 500...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

12/19/23, 6:53 AM   #39
Hubie48

Indycar died in 1995

12/19/23, 7:09 AM   #40
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
Specifically what political agenda? Would the same apply to the political agenda of the fossil fuel industry?
C'mon cap. EVs aren't being driven by economics and efficiency. And in the whole life cycle they aren't even better for the environment.
Auto industry is heading for another meltdown. Toyota saw it several years ago and was the first to publicly admit it. The carmakers are bleeding cash with massive capex and losses on every ev they struggle to sell.
The union saw it coming and forced the carmakers to make promises they cannot keep.
The government will borrow more money for the bailout.
And you and I will pay for it.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IndyCar's Future