IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
stockracer (Offline)
  #21 7/14/15 3:49 PM
I must be in the minority because, I like the fair and racing at the same time...what better way to kill time while they are reworking track than go and enjoy some fair food. But in full discloser I do live in Indiana and have a vested interest in 4H and I do support my local kids that are involved. Elephant ears, lemon shake ups, rib eye or pork chop sandwiches...how can a guy go wrong. $5 more parking? who cares I am already spending $25 for a show that I can see at Kokomo every week for $ 12 and spending gas for a 3.5 hour drive..5 extra dollars is nothing in big picture.
15 Likes: 2fast4u, Charles Nungester, Dblchkrs, dirt330, erich45, Joker0801, Leohr46, mc/rider, progressive22, SHORTBUS, sp6967, spicoli, Stevensville Mike, trackprep, VSneader2
Joker0801 (Offline)
  #22 7/14/15 4:16 PM
http://www.peterhelck.com/automotive..._Fair_1905.jpg[IMG]
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UNDeMw077_...+fair+1908.jpg
To all of you old timers complaining about the race being held in conjunction with the fair, don't worry. It's a new fad that should pass in the next 100 - 200 years. As for me, I'll enjoy my funnel cake covered in powdered sugar, strawberries, and a some good old fashioned Terre Haute dirt!
5 Likes: davidm, Leohr46, mc/rider, SHORTBUS, sp6967
Seadog (Offline)
  #23 7/14/15 4:33 PM
Originally Posted by Joker0801:
http://www.peterhelck.com/automotive..._Fair_1905.jpg[IMG]
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UNDeMw077_...+fair+1908.jpg
To all of you old timers complaining about the race being held in conjunction with the fair, don't worry. It's a new fad that should pass in the next 100 - 200 years. As for me, I'll enjoy my funnel cake covered in powdered sugar, strawberries, and a some good old fashioned Terre Haute dirt!
Those pics are so old that they are even before MY time

The only complaint I would have is if they have sprint cars with wings instead of hot wings.

I sure wish I could go.
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #24 7/14/15 4:39 PM
Sprint Cars in conjunction with Fair...............+1
3 Likes: Charles Nungester, SHORTBUS, sp6967
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #25 7/14/15 4:39 PM
Originally Posted by stockracer:
I must be in the minority because, I like the fair and racing at the same time...what better way to kill time while they are reworking track than go and enjoy some fair food. But in full discloser I do live in Indiana and have a vested interest in 4H and I do support my local kids that are involved. Elephant ears, lemon shake ups, rib eye or pork chop sandwiches...how can a guy go wrong. $5 more parking? who cares I am already spending $25 for a show that I can see at Kokomo every week for $ 12 and spending gas for a 3.5 hour drive..5 extra dollars is nothing in big picture.
The best food I ever ate at a track was at a SOD race at the Shiawassee County Fair (up near Flint, MI). The track itself was an interesting one, but that aside, the midway was open throughout the night. I can remember quite well watching the racing while eating a whole broasted chicken.

I am looking forward to tomorrow night. Never been to THAT. Heck.... never been to Terre Haute period come to think of it.
3 Likes: Charles Nungester, DirtHawk92, VSneader2
Rpracing1 (Offline)
  #26 7/14/15 5:00 PM
Assuming no support class.
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #27 7/14/15 5:07 PM
Originally Posted by jim goerge:
JMHO But I think its a bonehead move having fair and races sametime I don't think people going to fair are going to spend $25 more for races They are there for the fair rides and food Plus race fans will have to park farther away if you haven't noticed race fans are older folks and what about handicapped parking who are camping? I guess when I can't walk anymore I'll just sit down in the gravel If you see a old guy down I'd love a hand help to get back up
Chill out, The speedway has a ton of handicap parking right beind the bleachers If you get there by 4 the parking's free.

Its a great idea to have it during the fair and yes people do come in to the races. Its also cool seeing the rides operate all lit up off the end of the speedway. Also many of those who come in, NEVER been to a sprint car race before. We need this, We need this bad.

Chuck, who wouldn't camp at THAT though if its your only option. Camp at Puttnamville both nights

Charles Nungester
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, racing2bwithu2, SHORTBUS
  #28 7/14/15 5:13 PM
Originally Posted by Seadog:
Those pics are so old that they are even before MY time

Yeah, but not before Fishburgers, He'll tell you about the Chariot Races

Charles Nungester
  #29 7/14/15 5:17 PM
I doubt that it will be open but if you get to Terre Haute early. The 500 museum of wheels is there. Go north on 41 to Ohio street then east about six blocks. As soon as you cross the RR tracks its directly on the right.

If its not open, You can still see about ten or twelve cars that are in the storefront display. This is most of the racecars. The back has some pace cars and some other one of a kind or rare cars. The cars in the storefront have placards you can read with info on the car.

Charles Nungester
boiler (Offline)
  #30 7/14/15 6:02 PM
I understand that it is an inconvenience for some to have races during the fair. But, its exactly what this sport needs. In fact I'd go further to say that for a prize to a 4-H winner,, offer a couple pass. Those kids travel in packs anyhow at the fair. Probably get there money back just because of the buddies will want to go as well. It isn't easy, at least for me, to get kids interested in going at first. They dont see it on TV, unless you seek it out on social media they dont see it, but one trip trip to Kokomo and they ask when we are going again. My 14 yr old daughter, has friends that had never been to any kind of car race. They complained about the dirt, noise and dirt on the way home, ran straight to the shower when we got home. Friday I left them at home to go GC they were ticked off, even girls that I thought had a terrible time. I'm rambling sorry, exposure and new fans certainly helps the sport doesn't it????????????? DD signed sons new t-shirt at kokomo between heats and features. Guess who 11 yr old son is a fan of???????? I can explain an old sport that is all but dead because it didnt handle itself very well but this post is long enough.
7 Likes: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, DirtHawk92, Jerry Shaw, jim goerge, sp6967, VSneader2