IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Short driveshaft needed
3/16/16, 9:39 AM   #1
Short driveshaft needed
jaydwolf@gmail.com

I am putting a Bert transmission in to a sprint car and I need to have a short driveshaft made with a 16 spine on one end and a 10 spline on the other. Any information on where I can get the drive shaft made or the one I have shortened would be greatly appreciated.

3/16/16, 9:48 AM   #2
Re: Short driveshaft needed
Graham08

I'm pretty sure DMI will make you a custom shaft. The big question is how much shorter does it need to be? If it's only a couple inches, you can usually take a bit off the end of a standard piece, more than that and you're into a custom part.

3/16/16, 9:56 AM   #3
TQ29m

How long does it need to be, I have several, midget and sprint, that might be what you need, either I can machine it down, or you can have it done. Bob

3/16/16, 9:58 AM   #4
jaydwolf@gmail.com

Still waiting on the Transmission from Bert, they say it was shipped, but it is going to be short, very short I would guess 12-14 inches.

3/16/16, 10:40 AM   #5
TQ29m

Let me know when you get it. Bob
In the meantime, you might try Mark Williams, in I believe Louisville, Colorado, he has a lot of stuff for drag racers, and I've bought spindles, and odd length driveshafts from him. It's Mark Williams Enterprises, he's very familiar with drive shafts, the short ones take a different spec, it's hard to not break a short one, no length for the torsion they need to survive. When you find out what you need, he probably has it on the shelf.
Last edited by TQ29m; 3/16/16 at 2:09 PM. Reason: add on

3/16/16, 7:57 PM   #6
KOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydwolf@gmail.com View Post
I am putting a Bert transmission in to a sprint car and I need to have a short driveshaft made with a 16 spine on one end and a 10 spline on the other. Any information on where I can get the drive shaft made or the one I have shortened would be greatly appreciated.
Drive Shafts Inc can do anything you need done. They are in Tulsa OK and get out of state orders on a regular basis. Number is: (800) 344-5141

Let them know the OCRS sprint cars series sent you.

John Lemon
OCRS

3/17/16, 12:38 AM   #7
mini27

Dmi made custom parts for me before. Been few years I don't know if there still in custom order parts. Call Dave at dmi. Dmi builds good parts

3/18/16, 9:05 AM   #8
mcintosh34

Hi. Last summer I installed a Bert transmission in a vintage sprint car, The trans came with a drive shaft for an internal spline rear end.Since the car I was working on had the external spline I had to have a shaft made, all that being said I have the shaft for the internal spline rear in a sprint car application. Give me a call at 812-278-6536. Thanks Robert McIntosh

3/25/16, 7:55 PM   #9
jaydwolf@gmail.com

What I need is 15 3/4 inch long shaft

3/25/16, 10:48 PM   #10
the visitor

There is a group , I believe it's called North East wingless sprint cars ....they are doing the same thing you are doing . They have a Facebook page , you might get with them to see where they are getting theirs....

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Short driveshaft needed