IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #11 3/17/14 7:24 AM
Here's Gary getting inducted into USAC's Hall of Fame.

IMG_8711 copy par Chris Pedersen, on ipernity

Old school as they come, iron headed and iron willed.He could tame any race track and any car. When it came to a hard slick race track there was nobody better.
14 Likes: cowboyhar69, davidm, dirtball, EBookerFan, Gregg, IndyBound, ISF, luckybuc97, Mud Packer, racing2bwithu2, ronmil, speed bump, Thomas Finn, tim brown
ThePurple73 (Offline)
  #12 3/17/14 8:19 AM
To this day when I look down towards the fourth turn at a dirt champ race you almost expect to see the Delrose-Holt car leading the pack.
RacinFool (Offline)
  #13 3/17/14 10:55 AM
RIP Gary B..............Truly a racer in every sense of the word.
ISF (Offline)
  #14 3/17/14 11:01 AM
We had the honor and the distinct pleasure to have watched Mr. Bettenhausen race at both The Speedway and at The Springfield Mile.

Your kind are becoming farther and fewer between, sir, and the sport all of us here love is much better as a result of your involvement.

Rest in peace and may God bless and comfort Mr. Bettenhausen's family and friends.

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.
4 Likes: Jerry Shaw, Kansasdirtfan, Mud Packer, racephoto1
ronmil (Offline)
  #15 3/17/14 1:30 PM
So sorry to hear this; he was one of my all time favorites. RIP, Gary B.!

Ron Miller
SpfldMile (Offline)
  #16 3/17/14 2:38 PM
A personal favorite of mine. You look up "racer" in the dictionary, and there is a picture of Gary B. He's smiling, turning a victory lap right now.

For those about to rock, we salute you.
dirtball (Offline)
  #17 3/17/14 3:02 PM
The end of an era!
MOORESVILLETRUCKER (Offline)
  #18 3/17/14 3:04 PM
Very nice photo gallery tribute to Gary Bettenhausen on Indystar.com today. http://indy.st/1mcCNHE
4 Likes: cowboyhar69, dirtball, Flatrightrear, mc/rider
jjones752 (Offline)
  #19 3/17/14 3:11 PM
As I just posted in another thread (that wasn't really related), I think Gary B finally made it around Turn 1 at Syracuse flat yesterday...

Jim Jones
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
4 Likes: IndyBound, racephoto1, ronmil, Speedwrench
openwheelfan1 (Offline)
  #20 3/17/14 4:55 PM
I was privileged to watch Gary Bettenhausen in sprint cars at Salem and Terre Haute in the 60's, and in sprints, midgets and Silver Crown cars throughout the Midwest in the 70's and 80's. He was truly an "old school" racer who had determination, bravery and "smoothness" that unfortunatel,y many of today's drivers can only dream about. He was one of my racing heroes. RIP Gary B.