IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > World of outlaws to implement fire suppression system in ‘23
1/26/22, 1:43 PM   #1
World of outlaws to implement fire suppression system in ‘23
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

WORLD OF OUTLAWS TO IMPLEMENT FIRE SUPPRESSION SYSTEM IN 2023

Article
https://worldofoutlaws.com/sprintcar...cMztyzO7btfUiY

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
1/26/22, 2:07 PM   #2
Re: World of outlaws to implement fire suppression system in
Pitdad

Who will be the first to cross drill his system to lighten it?

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Gene Franckowiak, interpreter66
1/26/22, 4:19 PM   #3
Re: World of outlaws to implement fire suppression system in
Gene Franckowiak

Back in the 70's sprints had fire supression systems and a guy from New Mexico crashed hard and the bottle exploded and blew off some of his foot.....but at least he wasn't burned

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, chrismattlin
1/26/22, 4:26 PM   #4
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitdad View Post
Who will be the first to cross drill his system to lighten it?
In my opinion, anyone caught compromising any required safety equipment should be suspended for a year. If you think that's harsh go visit a burn center. Or better yet, go talk to Harli White
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, DaveP63, luckybuc97, mc/rider, Pitdad, racenut69
1/26/22, 4:28 PM   #5
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Franckowiak View Post
Back in the 70's sprints had fire supression systems and a guy from New Mexico crashed hard and the bottle exploded and blew off some of his foot.....but at least he wasn't burned
You think maybe fire suppression systems have possibly improved in the last 50 years?
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

4 members like this post: cshuman, progressive22, Scott Daloisio, TQ29m
1/26/22, 5:13 PM   #6
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Franckowiak View Post
I believe that was Roy Hicks wasn’t it ?

1 member likes this post: rick42
1/26/22, 5:27 PM   #7
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Wright View Post
In my opinion, anyone caught compromising any required safety equipment should be suspended for a year. If you think that's harsh go visit a burn center. Or better yet, go talk to Harli White
Couldn’t agree with you more. And we raced at I-44 with Harli, so we know first hand. That’s why I’m glad we now race at a track owned by firemen.

2 members like this post: PJ Wright, Ratso
1/26/22, 8:33 PM   #8
kendirt

WoO and Lucas Oil Late Model Series have mandated on-board fire suppression for a while now. The really good thing is that many of the regional series have followed suit. Same with SFI tagged seats and fuel cells.

1 member likes this post: PJ Wright
1/26/22, 10:49 PM   #9
IndianaSprintFan

As a casual fan at best what does this do to a race team that doesn’t normally run with WoO. Like the guys that strap a wing on at haubstadt. Is this a major cost or hassle to add or not that big of a deal? * I know it’s a safety feature and some will have negative comments for me calling it a hassle so take the term lightly. I think everyone knows what I mean.

1/26/22, 11:09 PM   #10
kendirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSprintFan View Post
As a casual fan at best what does this do to a race team that doesn’t normally run with WoO. Like the guys that strap a wing on at haubstadt. Is this a major cost or hassle to add or not that big of a deal? * I know it’s a safety feature and some will have negative comments for me calling it a hassle so take the term lightly. I think everyone knows what I mean.
The Late Model system is around $750. I assume the Sprint Car system will be similar in price.

WoO and SFI are going to mandate what the systems consist of. Once the kits are standardized they should be pretty much plug and play.

My take would be that if you can't afford a fire system for your 410 Sprint Car you're in the wrong class.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > World of outlaws to implement fire suppression system in ‘23