IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Oct 6-7 Midgets Weekend
1/21/17, 3:45 PM   #11
Re: Oct 6-7 Midgets Weekend
miledirt

Been to all the Gold Crowns... that Pevely Granite USAC weekend is going to be a good one!

5 members like this post: addictedtodirt, BrentTFunk, Dirtfan, Simon_says17, SpfldMile
1/21/17, 4:11 PM   #12
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by miledirt View Post
I'm also disappointed that the Gold Crown is going away, but agree with Jonr, the Gunmakers gave it a solid good try
Tri City has their schedule out, Oct 6th has something else scheduled.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

1/21/17, 4:29 PM   #13
mscs20

Come to Fairbury on Oct 6-7. PowrI WAR Sprints and MOWA/IRA Sprints.

2 members like this post: Simon_says17, Tom23
1/21/17, 4:54 PM   #14
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscs20 View Post
That's an option for sure.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

1/21/17, 10:06 PM   #15
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
It's funny every year of the Gold Crown I heard radio ads and saw billboards about the upcoming show. I also heard it announced at other local St Louis tracks. I saw purchased ads on Facebook even........
This is an interesting comment. I attended the Gold Crown two different years, and I thought I remember seeing/hearing some local advertising about it. It may be more of a comment on how hard it is to promote a race track.

Radio Ads?? Great idea, but what stations do you pick? You pick the stations that have the greatest target audience. How many radio stations does St Louis have? How many people only listen to XM? How many people only listen to their own Apple device?

BillBoards?? Great idea, but how many people only look at ads that they are interested in? How many billboards do you pass by everyday but never pay attention to? How many billboards does St Louis have?

Targeted advertising?? Other race tracks, Goggle and Facebook ads. Great idea because you are definitely hitting your target audience. This is probably going to be the best advertising spend, because these people are already fans of dirt track racing. However, this does nothing to bring in the casual fan.

Like I said, I am disappointed that the event is not going to continue, but I understand the decision. However, I think blaming the promoters on this event failing is not fair. They gave it more chances than most.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, mc/rider, Pat O'Connor Fan
1/23/17, 4:00 PM   #16
chrismattlin

Coming out that way for the IndyCar race on Saturday, August 26th. Anything going on at Tri-City or Belleville that Friday, the 25th? If not, they're missing an opportunity.

1/23/17, 4:03 PM   #17
Simon_says17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
I think that you are way off base with this comment. Tri-City tried for many years to try to create premier midget event. The Gold Crown has just had some really bad luck. Rainouts, partial rainouts, POWRi scheduling against it, moving dates, car owners staying away..... It has had more misses than hits. The one year that I went with decent weather and great car counts, the race was incredible. It was the best races of the year.

At some point, the owners have to look at risk/reward. They have put themselves at risk plenty of times for the Gold Crown and the reward has yet to come. While I would be disappointed in the Gold Crown stopping, I would not be surprised. Tri-City has definitely put in the effort to make the Gold Crown a success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
I think that you are way off base with this comment. Tri-City tried for many years to try to create premier midget event. The Gold Crown has just had some really bad luck. Rainouts, partial rainouts, POWRi scheduling against it, moving dates, car owners staying away..... It has had more misses than hits. The one year that I went with decent weather and great car counts, the race was incredible. It was the best races of the year.

At some point, the owners have to look at risk/reward. They have put themselves at risk plenty of times for the Gold Crown and the reward has yet to come. While I would be disappointed in the Gold Crown stopping, I would not be surprised. Tri-City has definitely put in the effort to make the Gold Crown a success.

How am I off base? I never said they didn't try and I totally agree they've had bad luck in the weather department. That's awesome you went one year. I've been every year they've had it and I know how great the racing can be. I know the thread was talking about Gold Crown weekend specifically but what I was eluding to was about more than just that.

You think Tri-City has put their best foot forward concerning this race, fine. I agree to an extent, but as far as open wheel racing there as a whole, I think things have fell short of the mark. Granted it's just my opinion but that's how I feel. This could all just be a byproduct of Granite being smack dab in the middle of stock car country as well. I think the track has so much potential and I think the Gundaker's have done a great job investing in the track and updating things. I wasn't trying to knock the track as much as to say it can be frustrated trying to see good open wheel races there and the Gold Crown was just that. Looks like it's going by the wayside. I just think there could be more done to get butts in the seats is all. I've done my part and brought new fans to the sport and in fact converted a new racing fan by taking him to the Gold Crown race this last year.

1/23/17, 4:04 PM   #18
Simon_says17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscs20 View Post
I know i'll be there! Looking forward to it.

1/23/17, 4:16 PM   #19
chrismattlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
Coming out that way for the IndyCar race on Saturday, August 26th. Anything going on at Tri-City or Belleville that Friday, the 25th? If not, they're missing an opportunity.
Nevermind, found both schedules. Belleville is closed that night, and Tri-City is running 5 classes of stock cars. And Powri is off that night to boot! What a bummer, I guess we'll go to the St. Louis Zoo instead.

Kind of mind-blowing that neither track would want to take advantage of having a bunch of out-of-town openwheel fans in their proximity! Maybe there is some truth in this thread when people talk about promotion problems.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Oct 6-7 Midgets Weekend